Page: of 5

EmergingArtist
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

9136 Posts
Gratitude: 822
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honest

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  15:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Hi,
I have this one on my notepad to email tomorrow.
Reply to: job-419765176@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-09-11, 1:22PM CDT

• Leading Design & Manufacturing Firm in Chicago currently has a part time clerical position open in our shop office.
• Candidate must possess excellent organizational skills.
• Working knowledge of word, excel, & outlook required..
• Ability to work under pressure, work independently and good attendance is essential in this position.

How is your jobsearch going?

-EA

unemployed
thirty-one-year-old Korean-American
married woman
diagnosed bipolar 1993

Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  13:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Hello,

Well, I have sent 4 places my resume, and I have emailed 6 other places with inquiries for more info about some part-time positions that were advertised online.

So I've been looking for an occupation outside the home for about one week now.

How is your job-hunting going?

-EA

unemployed
married woman
diagnosed bipolar 1993

Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  12:48:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Hello,
Today I received a reply email from the following potential employer. (I'd sent an inquiry asking if Wed, Fri, and Sat would be an acceptable work schedule). She emailed back saying yes to my availability, and she requested I send an email including my resume.

I learned from her email the exact address of the company. I may drop by there this Thursday; it's easy to get to via el.

The pay is $10/hr.

I plan to reply with my attached resume by end of day on Thursday.

I want to find out if I would be working with a group of other people doing the same thing or how many people I would be working with. She hadn't mentioned how many hours per day would be required.

I will need to discuss with my husband whether or not I would be able to be available for the job all the way through Christmas.

It is my first response to emails I've sent out re: employment, so I am very excited!

8)
Part Time Holiday Help Wanted
Reply to:
Date: 2007-09-18, 11:29AM CDT

Signature Days is a dynamic and market leading Chicago based experience Gift Company (hangliding, cooking lessons, etc). We sell our experience gift cards online, to corporations and in retail stores.

We are looking for part time Holiday help from November through the Christmas Holiday. Hours will be flexible Monday through Saturday between the hours of 8:00 AM any 6:00 PM. We are looking for someone who can work during these times. Major duty will include packaging and shipping our gift boxes. Pay will be hourly and paid once per week.
Please only reply if you are available during this entire time period.

I've been looking for outside employment for about 2 weeks now. I've sent email inquiries to 12 different places. I have one clerical job I plan to email request for more info this afternoon.

Also, I have contacted a local organic gardening project in my neighborhood and they replied and I plan to volunteer there this coming Saturday.

-EA

unemployed
married woman
diagnosed bipolar 1993

Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  20:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Hello,
I volunteered at the Organic Gardens this afternoon from 10-1. Overall, I think it was a worthwhile experience. I may go there again in a week or 2, haven't made up my mind just yet.

-EA

unemployed
married woman
diagnosed bipolar 1993

Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  15:14:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
quote:
Originally posted by EmergingArtist

Hello,
Today I received a reply email from the following potential employer. (I'd sent an inquiry asking if Wed, Fri, and Sat would be an acceptable work schedule). She emailed back saying yes to my availability, and she requested I send an email including my resume.

I learned from her email the exact address of the company. I may drop by there this Thursday; it's easy to get to via el.

The pay is $10/hr.

I plan to reply with my attached resume by end of day on Thursday.

I want to find out if I would be working with a group of other people doing the same thing or how many people I would be working with. She hadn't mentioned how many hours per day would be required.

I will need to discuss with my husband whether or not I would be able to be available for the job all the way through Christmas.

It is my first response to emails I've sent out re: employment, so I am very excited!

8)
Part Time Holiday Help Wanted
Reply to:
Date: 2007-09-18, 11:29AM CDT

Signature Days is a dynamic and market leading Chicago based experience Gift Company (hangliding, cooking lessons, etc). We sell our experience gift cards online, to corporations and in retail stores.

We are looking for part time Holiday help from November through the Christmas Holiday. Hours will be flexible Monday through Saturday between the hours of 8:00 AM any 6:00 PM. We are looking for someone who can work during these times. Major duty will include packaging and shipping our gift boxes. Pay will be hourly and paid once per week.
Please only reply if you are available during this entire time period.

I've been looking for outside employment for about 2 weeks now. I've sent email inquiries to 12 different places. I have one clerical job I plan to email request for more info this afternoon.

Also, I have contacted a local organic gardening project in my neighborhood and they replied and I plan to volunteer there this coming Saturday.

-EA

unemployed
married woman
diagnosed bipolar 1993

This place emailed me a request to meet me. We are going back and forth through emails about my availability. I've sent my 3rd email back to her this afternoon. It's all still up in the air. I don't know if she would accept that I can't work exactly until x-mas.

I don't know if I would a)-want a temp seasonal job and b)-like working there...she asked in her last email to me would I be available for full days 3 days per week.

I think I can NOT handle 3 days, 8hrs per day. That's 24 hours! Way too much I think. I'm already afraid to say "no" to this woman I've never met and the very first job I've heard back from! EEEEEeeeek.

Probably...I would say I want to limit my daily hours to no more than 6, ideally 4. And I would want to work no more than 15 hours per week. Ideally, I want to work 8 hours per week to start out...

Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  11:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Hello, here I am, hogging this thread.

A moment ago, I renewed my membership to the Art Institute of Chicago. My membership card will be mailed to me within 3 weeks. My impetus for renewing my membership is a renewed interest of mine: become a docent (tour guide) in the galleries. (All of the AIC's tour guides are volunteers).

I uploaded their volunteer application pdf. (the PDF is "non-interactive" so I must have my husband print it out from his work). I asked my husband to print out 3 copies of the application.

-EA

unemployed
thirty-two-year-old Korean-American
married woman
diagnosed bipolar 1993

Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  11:32:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Do you volunteer?

Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  10:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Just now, I've filled out the simple 2-page application for volunteering at the art institute and have it ready in an envelope (addressed) to be mailed.

Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  10:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Also, I applied by emailing my resume/cover letter to four clerical jobs this morning. I'm about to head out and return a dish rack to Bed Bath & Beyond, and I plan to stop into the alternative/metaphysical bookstore near there to see if I can apply for a job there.

I've been in my jobsearch for about 3 1/2 weeks thus far...

Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  10:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Anyone else here doing/looking volunteering/paid position?

Go to Top of Page

aquamarine
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1238 Posts
Gratitude: 300
Very caring

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  14:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
HI EA,

I haven't worked for 4 years now due to "My Crumby Illness(MCI) that's what I am going to call my depression from now on

I have, however, done some really cool and Interesting volunteering over the past 2 years:

1) I volunteered to walk dogs for the SPCA. This was good for me as It was a "do what you can, when you can, position At the time I could barely do anything so that flexibility fit perfectly

2) I volunteered last year and part of this year for my city's Shakespeare festival I worked In the concession and which was not glamorous but it did get me back Into a habit of having contact with large numbers of people. I think It was a good precursor to me doing more

3) I am a member and I volunteer at a local art clubhouse for people with mental illnesses. I have co-taught printmaking for two sessions (10weeks each), have been a helper in a senior's pottery class. I am currently a volunteer who helps people make the transition from a structured class to unstructured studio time. I am also volunteering In the senior's beginner's watercolour class and I am co-teaching a beginner's drawing class this session.

I am getting lots out of volunteering. I love the good feeling I get when I am helping others learn. This helps MCI at least while I am volunteering. I get lots more out of it too.

I believe that slowly I am building skills that will help me:
  • choose a new profession
  • rediscover the courage I used have in terms of taking chances around new people and having confidence in front of people
  • believe in my skills
  • build my resume and close some of the gaps in it
  • become a better artist
  • eventually get the courage to apply for a job

I would recommend volunteering to everyone.
...aqua
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2007 :  16:33:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Hey Aqua,
So tell me more about your current volunteering. Do you have any pics of your art?

-EA

unemployed
thirty-two-year-old Korean-American
married woman
diagnosed bipolar 1993

Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2007 :  06:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Hello,
This afternoon I am scheduled to go to volunteer orientation at the Art Institute of Chicago. I'm thrilled to have this opportunity. He said he will get me my Volunteer ID Badge.

How is your volunteering going Aqua? (and anybody reading)

EA
Sex: female
homemaker, married
Diagnosed Bipolar 1993

Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  06:50:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Hi,
This afternoon I plan to volunteer. Now that I'm starting to go after something near to the arts which is what I went to school for...I feel frightened of failure.

I'm interested to hear what other people from MT are pursuing as far as vocation/career/occupation...

EA
Sex: female
homemaker, married
Diagnosed Bipolar 1993

Go to Top of Page

JodyWoo

5784 Posts
Gratitude: 665
Very caringVery wiseVery honest

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  09:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I'm actually planning on volunteering at a local elementary school as a math tutor... or perhaps just a tutor in general.

I love working with kids. I don't think I just want to work at a daycare or anything... I want to be a teacher, though I know they aren't paid well.

Who knows, maybe I can become a teacher and get a part time job on the nights and weekends. I had a coworker at Target who did that!

Jody
If you're going through hell
keep on going
don't slow down
if you're scared
don't show it
you might get out before the devil even knows you're there
if you're going through hell
keep on moving
face that fire
walk right through it
you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 27742
New Topics: 4
New Topics: 0