Page: of 2

EmergingArtist
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

9136 Posts
Gratitude: 822
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honest

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  20:34:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi

When I was growing up, my parents had us do all the cleaning on Saturday. And during the rest of the week none of us did any cleaning/maintaining except for the dishes and flushing the toilet I suppose.

So that was my routine entering into my marriage. But things have changed. I recently have taken to sweeping the floors a few times a week, washing the windows periodically after rainstorms, febreezing pillows and the couch from time to time, spraying freshshower after every shower, putting clothes on hangers most of the time right away instead of piling them on a chair, etc etc

My favorite task to do is folding clothes. I don't so much like to go down to the basement and put the laundry in the washer and all that, but I do like folding - it gives me a sense of completion and satisfaction which is rather nice.

How is your housekeeping routine

-EA

But it's my heart that's beggin'
down this long distance line tonight...

(Missing You, Tyler Hilton version)
Go to Top of Page

Trish.
Super Member (250+ posts)

734 Posts
Gratitude: 174

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  02:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
With four little ones here it can be a big hectic to anytime you fancy popping over to fold some clothes feel free lol.

Trish.
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  08:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I used to work at the Gap you can imagin they loved me there
Go to Top of Page

mom22galz
Super Member (250+ posts)

336 Posts
Gratitude: 148

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  07:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hopusekeeping routine ? I was going to invite you over to my place, EA, but see Trish beat me to the punch.

Keeping an organized home is one of my biggest challenges. Maybe my BIGGEST. Don't even feel like I can hire a sitter cuz of the disarray. It's embarassing.

Keep telling myself if I can get through the clutter left from the seperation, I can hire some help to maintian things... but dealing with that clutter seems beyond my capacity.

I can get the kids off to school and myself to work, fed and clean, most days. I can prep dinner and adhere to a bedtime routine. I can make sure the kids attend their extra-curricular activities. But my social life sucks cuz I can't clean up enough to have anyone in my home unattended.

Argh.

Peace out,
m22g

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  14:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

It's my new routine lately to maintain and tend to things every day.

Today I febreezed the couch and throw pillows. I dusted off and used tape to pull off the dust from the top of the bedroom curtains and curtain rod and dusted the curtains with a duster. I washed some of the light bulbs in the bathroom, and sponged off part of the window screen in the bathroom. I shook out the rugs from both bathrooms and the rug in the bedroom. I swept and mopped the hallway and one of the bathrooms and did half of the dishes. I threw out an empty pizza box and got started on removing some rust on the outside screen door with the rust remover. And I made the bed, sprayed some fresh shower and cleaned the hair out of the drainstop in the tub and did a cursory wipe-down of the inside of the oven and swept some debris from that off the kitchen floor.
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  15:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Today I planted some petunias and put them out on the porch in terracotta pots. They're lavender. And I got some tiny white flowers in a railing box but don't know what they're called.

I was going to wash the front window, but I didn't. I shook out one of the bathroom rugs again. And I lit some candles for nice homey ambiance. And I plumped the couch pillows!

-EA

dx bipolar 1993
Go to Top of Page

JJRenee
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  21:54:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Housekeeping is my biggest problem. My father is bipolar and expected a clean house when I lived at home but now that I am on my own I find myself coming home to a sink full of dishes and clean clothes everywhere. I have always found that when I hit the bottom is when my house is the messiest and when I am up on a mountain I stay up until all hours of the night cleaning. Now my habits are affecting my relationships with others.

Argh!!!
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  09:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Today I got back on track with what I've been wanting to do which is to first take care of and arrange my own things. So this morning I bit the bullet and went under the bathroom sink to try to arrange the mess of crap I've collected over months, lotions, potions, headache medicine, 100 kinds of nail polish, a round brush I used twice, cough tongue strips, waterless hand sanitizer, you get the picture.

And then I took on my desk. Yikes. I don't even want to go there in describing that fiasco. Anyway. Then there's my "studio" area. Yeeeech. Actually, I lie. Last month I took control of that area, it's not so bad anymore, could be a lot worse.

But to any guest coming to visit, I tells ya--ooh, yeah. The hardwood floors shine and the lampshades are dust-free and the stove-top sparkles and even the window sills are devoid of grime. The bookshelves are immaculate. TVs got no dust. There are neatly folded towels stacked by color on the open shelves. Candles are arranged neatly on the shelf. Fingerprints wiped clean off of the soap dispensers. Absolutely no mold or hard water stains anywhere visible. Picture frames shine. Curtain folds nicely done. Couch pillows perfect. CDs and DVDs alpha order. Overall, bathrooms and kitchen spotless and sanitized. Baseboards washed. No smudges on phone. Of course, the computer is completely cared for, including a routine dusting of the inner fans. Old nail holes filled. Brass fixtures polished. Tea kettle brilliant. Porch swept clean. No dead blooms on potted flowers on railing. Rugs vacuumed.

etc.
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  09:08:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I guess it's a habit from my growing up years. My mom and dad and brother were total slobs, so I felt the need to compensate for their slobbishness I think.
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  09:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Plus it gives the illusion of no shame. At least that's what some of my pop psych books say.
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  09:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello Readers,
This morning I found some deodorant I had forgotten about. (Brand new). Cool. That's one thing I won't have to pick up at the Jewel next time I'm out. (Grocery store).

-EA
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  09:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Readers,
I think this is about the 5th or 6th day I've made a conscious concerted effort to do my stuff before doing other stuff.

-EA

unemployed
thirty-one-year-old Korean-American
married woman
diagnosed bipolar 1993

Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  15:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I need to schedule time to be at leisure.
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  06:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello,
So far this morning I've sprayed fresh shower on my shower curtain. I scrubbed some of the lint with a toothbrush from the edges of the bathroom floor. I tidied the space under the sink. I peeled off huge strips of paint from the sink cabinet. I'm painting it gradually. And I sprayed citrus cleaner on all surfaces of the toilet.

-EA

unemployed
married woman
diagnosed bipolar 1993

Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  08:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Good morning!

One of those mornings where I feel energetic.

-a load of laundry in
-blankets and pillows put in order from watching movie last night
-windows and blinds opened, fan turned on
-bowls put in sink
-stepstool and duster moved by entryway to dust fixtures there later today
-a glance into "studio" area to get a quick visual in my brain for what I may want to do later
-bed made
-some shirts back on hangers
-a look out at potted flowers on porch, they don't seem to be in need of watering today

-EA

unemployed
married woman
diagnosed bipolar 1993

Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  14:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello,

I didn't do as much housework as I thought I would today.

I peeled more paint off of the bathroom cabinet, prepping for re-painting. I put more sealant on the wood pieces under the tub. I haven't made the bed yet like I do normally. I did some of the dishes, not all. I sprayed fresh shower over all surfaces of the shower curtain and fixtures and sprayed citrus cleaner over all surfaces of toilet. I swept the bathroom floor and washed it with a sponge by hand.

How is your housework going? (Whomever is reading this).

-EA

unemployed
married woman
diagnosed bipolar 1993

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 27738