Page: of 5

EmergingArtist
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

9136 Posts
Gratitude: 822
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honest

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  22:22:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi

Breaking in this new (or at least new to me) Topics section.
Volunteering anyone?

2 days ago got an email from Interfaith which is an org. which helps refugee families adapt to life in Chicago. I'm planning to learn more about volunteering there, doing clerical work.

I received the email and 2 pdfs of application for volunteering after I'd submitted an inquiry via a volunteer website.

Initially, I expected volunteer work to be super easy, in that hey, They Need Me, I don't need them... But there are references needed and applications and background checking and interviews and training seminars...and some places expect a certain time commitment or they won't allow volunteers to continue.

I have 3 other pdf applications on the desktop, but I'm going for the Interfaith one because it's within walking distance from my place and the other ones are things like crisis lines and teen runaways, I think that would drive me up the wall even more.

-EA

by
EA

"Sometimes it is ~
just the wind."
(Unknown)
Go to Top of Page

stigmastomper (inactive)
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

24317 Posts
Gratitude: 1940
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  10:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
good for you EA
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  15:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
thanks stig
Go to Top of Page

aquamarine
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1238 Posts
Gratitude: 300
Very caring

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  20:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
EA,
Preparing for my first volunteer position was really stressfull. Like you say they want references, mine wanted a resume and then I was called for an interview. I was almost sick.

I kept thinking how am I going to explain my employment gap....or should I lie? Well I sort of did both. I am still technically employed with the company I used to work for, but have been off on disability for 4 years. So I said I worked for the company...but then I couldn't sleep because I thought what if they call the company. (but I think all they are allowed to say is yes or no I work for them)

In my interview the person actually asked me if I had a disability that might interfere with the position or require any accomodations....I'm pretty sure in Canada you are not allowed to ask that question until after the person is hired...so I said no.

Anyways, I learned a lot about what to do and what not to do...and I got the position. The first couple shifts were freaky because I was having some cognitive problems due to meds/depression...and it was a super fast paced environment, but then I met some really nice people and I had a great time.

Now I'm volunteering for an Art Therapy place, helping teach classes and I love it even more. I am trying to get a routine going where I have places that need me, that expect me to be there at a certain time, otherwise I just stay home and sleep, or vegetate.

...Aqua
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  14:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Aqua

I've e-mailed the volunteer director of the place I want to volunteer at. He's responded via e-mail each time. He'd sent a pdf application and I printed it out and filled it out and mailed it to him along with e-mailing him again to say the application was in the mail.

The place is about 3 or 4 blocks away. I haven't heard back from him yet. **shrug**

How's the art therapy going? That sounds neat. I got a lot out of art therapy when I was hospitalized.

-EA

Still round the corner there may wait
A new road or secret gate.

(J.R.R. Tolkien)
Go to Top of Page

aquamarine

1238 Posts
Very caring

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  15:20:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi EA,
How long ago did you mail the App? If it's been more than a week maybe call and say you are really interested in volunteering and just want to ensure they received your application...or you could e-mail too, but I find a call is more personal.

The art therapy is so fun. I am helping teach printmaking next month and now I have volunteered to help with their older adults program. I love to teach and show people how to do things and this place is the perfect safe environment for me to get back into a routine and to learn to do what I love...so I can love what I do!!

Good luck with your volunteering.
...Aqua
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  08:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Aqua

How's the printmaking?

I feel like maybe I ought to go have a look-see at least at the outside of the building of the volunteer place as it is only a few blocks away. Our neighborhood is at war with itself--some residents want to keep the so-called charm of the crumbling old buildings and some residents want the Starbucks and the fancy bookstores. And likewise, apparently there are business owners who don't give a damn about upkeep and others who do and so forth.

It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth to imagine finding out that this most recent volunteer interest of mine is kaput as well. I get in these ruts seemingly.

-EA

Still round the corner there may wait
A new road or secret gate.

(J.R.R. Tolkien)
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  13:42:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello,

A moment ago just now, a man called from a volunteer place which helps refugees. He'd left a voicemail yesterday and I didn't call him back. I was planning to plot out what I wanted to say and then call him Tuesday. But here I pick up the phone today on Friday and am forced to talk to the man.

I applied to work in their office. I want to get out and be with a group of people. A refugee organization appeals to me because of the cross-cultural aspects.

Now he says he would prefer me to help out with their tutoring and their after-school programs. I don't know.

Already I had this sick feeling that he is going to be displeased with me. And then another part of me is pissed off that I should be trying whatsoever to please this man. I have therapy Monday so I need to discuss it with her. It sounds like a terrific opportunity to join with a very heterogeneous group of people, but I am very afraid the experience would be very over-stimulating to me.

I'm feeling overwhelmed and over-stimulated and sick to my stomach with fear just thinking about it.

-EA

dx bipolar 1993
Go to Top of Page

Niney

2393 Posts
Gratitude: 592
Very caringVery wiseVery honest

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  15:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
EA,
One of the good things about volunteering is you can do only what you're comfortable with. The man you spoke with might prefer you help in a certain area. But if you're not comfortable with that, then that's what you tell him and say where you would like to contribute. Then if they don't need that kind of help, you can decide whether to try a different place or do a different job. But it certainly isn't going to help you if your volunteer work is making you feel sick and over stimulated. It's supposed to be therapeutic.
I do volunteer work and I have found it a huge help in building my self-confidence back up and keeping me from isolating. It also makes me feel like I'm contributing something of worth. I enjoy what I do and really try to be careful not to volunteer for things that I don't really want to do.
I hope something I've said is of help to you.

NIney

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards."
Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  08:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Niney,

So this weekend I may walk by the address where the volunteer position is located. (It's within my neighborhood).

What do you do? (As far as volunteer work). And thanks for your feedback and response btw.

-EA

dx bipolar 1993
Go to Top of Page

aquamarine

1238 Posts
Very caring

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  10:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi EA,

When I first started volunteering and probably the fist 6-8 times I went, I was TERRIFIED, and sick to my stomach about whether or not I good do it, whether they would laugh at me when I didn't "get" something (I had started new meds and felt really out of it". I had so much social anxiety I thought I was going to be sick every time I had to go. My pdoc and I talked so many times about this being an opportunity to use a behavioural approach to my stress...i.e. the more I went, the less I would feel anxious. I did not believe him, but once I make a commitment it's very hard to get me to renege on said commitment...low and behold it did get better. Yeah I made lots of mistakes, but it did get easier and I became more confident.

I started my 2nd Printmaking Class yesterday and the Occupational Therapist I work with said I was much more at ease this time than I was the last class. That was good feedback for me and really reinforces the idea that the more I do, the more confident I become, and the easier it is to do things.

I wish you luck in your volunteering position/s. Remember too the great thing about volunteering is that they really need you and if the position is not a good fit a volunteer organization is likely to make accommodations to help you keep helping them.
...Aqua
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  09:13:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello Aqua,

I'm uncertain whether or not I want to jump into a volunteer commitment. It might exacerbate my fragile state.

-EA

dx bipolar 1993
Go to Top of Page

Niney

2393 Posts
Gratitude: 592
Very caringVery wiseVery honest

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  22:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi EA,
I started out slowly with volunteering by doing something I was pretty confident at. My first volunteer venture was tutoring English at our local community college. Just helping students with grammar and things like that. After that I took training to be a hospice volunteer. I was pretty nervous at first doing that , but now I really like it and have met some wonderful people who volunteer there as well.
Just recently I took the training to be a peer support volunteer with Canadian Mental Health. So I'm quite new at it, but so far I really like it. With peer support and hospice, it's mostly being able to be a good listener. Volunteering is a big part of my life as I can't work for a wage right now. It goes a long way towards keeping my depression at bay. It's really good for building self-confidence.
My advice if you're thinking of volunteering is to start with something you're quite confident doing - something that won't make you very nervous or anything. You'll know when you're ready.

Niney

Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  23:29:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
quote:
Originally posted by Niney

Hi EA,
I started out slowly with volunteering by doing something I was pretty confident at. My first volunteer venture was tutoring English at our local community college. Just helping students with grammar and things like that. After that I took training to be a hospice volunteer. I was pretty nervous at first doing that , but now I really like it and have met some wonderful people who volunteer there as well.
Just recently I took the training to be a peer support volunteer with Canadian Mental Health. So I'm quite new at it, but so far I really like it. With peer support and hospice, it's mostly being able to be a good listener. Volunteering is a big part of my life as I can't work for a wage right now. It goes a long way towards keeping my depression at bay. It's really good for building self-confidence.
My advice if you're thinking of volunteering is to start with something you're quite confident doing - something that won't make you very nervous or anything. You'll know when you're ready.

Niney

Kahlil Gibran

Hi Niney,

Went to therapy today. Talked for 45 min. re: volunteering pros/cons for me in the midst of dealing with the heavy issues of childhood sexual abuse by family member and neglect/abandonment/control issues among other fine baggage.

Unfortunately for the life-long stifled child aspect of myself, I've had to discuss present-day issues in therapy, which the child part of me sees as wasting her precious time to finally after so many years, express.

So at this time, I'm strongly leaning towards not giving time to a volunteer organization, rather giving myself enough space to unpack all of my baggage. (Which I must admit, is a helluva job in itself).

Frustratingly, I'm at war with myself. (In that a big part of me is chomping at the bit to get out in the workforce and social arenas...). It's a question of footing I think.
-EA

dx bipolar 1993
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  14:44:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Hello,
It's four months later. There are many inner voices, parts of me that are stirred up from talking in therapy...parts of me which come from very old aspects of my life history...all these internal voices which makes me one person who is tremendously confused and undecided.

Some examples of how I feel like a million different people:
I have these thoughts
"I'll volunteer at the zoo!"
"No, you got fired from the last 2 animal jobs."
"It's too triggering."
"You want to take care of neglected little animals."
"No, I want to be taken care of, I'm a neglected little animal!"
"You are not a dog!"
"I'm like a dog."
"Please don't make me work retail. I hate retail."
"Retail is all we can do."
"What about typing!"
"I can be a data-enterer!"
"Yes, yes yes!!!!"
"You don't know Quickbooks Pro."
"I don't want to work under fluorescent lights, it makes my skin look bad."
"Barista?"
"I can't deal with people yelling at me about more cream and less sugar, hoo-ha."
"Get a job, get a job, you're lazy, you're frittering away, you're wasting your time, your talents, you have thousands in student loans, you're a wimp, you're pathetic, you can't even do a simple job like working at the Gap without freaking out."
"I am Not a Teenager!!!"
"You act like a teenager."
"No I don't."
"The Gap was a teenage type job."
"I don't want to work retail."
"Retail is a cop-out."
"I know I can do better."
"I'm scared."
"Why doesn't he support me?!!!"
"I don't want to go way the hell out there just to go make stupid phone calls for barely minimum wage!"
"It's not about the money."
"I need money."
"I want to buy new clothes."
"I don't need money."
"He might leave us."
"So."
"No he won't."
"Who are you trying to please now?"
"This is not selfish! I'm trying to take care of myself now!"
"But you have to consider your husband."
"You're killing your marriage."
"I get no support from him."
"You give him nothing!"
"I want to teach art."
"Teaching is a cop-out."
"I want to teach ESL."
"You just want to teach ESL to please mom."
"I don't talk to mom."
"So."
"Why do you want to work there?"
"Is that the best you can do?"
"Am I low-balling myself?"
"Should I spend time getting training for this?"
"Can I do much better?"
"How much should I compromise?"
"Am I caving in too much to their demands?"
"Should I ask for more?"
"Why the hell should I have to do that?"
etc.

-EA

unemployed
thirty-one-year-old Korean-American
married woman
diagnosed bipolar 1993

Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  08:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Hi,
My husband suggested I look into a transcribing job. (Taking audio and transcribing it into text form). He says that at his workplace they have hired people to transcribe recordings of teachers' lectures to put online.

To whom it may concern: how is your volunteering or other occupation going?

-EA

unemployed
thirty-one-year-old Korean-American
married woman
diagnosed bipolar 1993

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 27737