Welcome Message
Registration Tutorial
Nickname:
Password:
Save Password

All Forums
 Bipolar Disorder: Specific Discussion: Medication
 Quetiapine (Seroquel)
 Would You Recommend Quetiapine (Seroquel)
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 61

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts
Gratitude: 593
Very caringVery wiseI agree

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  22:48:14  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Dear Members,

If you have been treated with quetiapine (Seroquel) for your Bipolar I Disorder, on the basis of your experience:
  • Would you recommend quetiapine to other members for the treatment of their depressive episodes of Bipolar I Disorder?

• Would you recommend quetiapine to other members for the treatment of their manic episodes of Bipolar I Disorder?

• How much did one month's supply of quetiapine cost?
Before you write your review, please use the Yes-No-Unsure buttons on the bottom of this post to indicate if you would recommend quetiapine to other members.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

P.S. What Is The Therapeutic Dose For Quetiapine In Bipolar I Disorder?

• For depressive episodes, 300 mg/day was found to be just as effective as 600 mg/day.

• PubMed 17547587
    • For manic episodes, 600 mg/day was found to be the average therapeutic dose.

• PubMed 17382403

Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

9136 Posts
Gratitude: 822
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honest

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  15:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello,
The first time I took Seroquel was in 2004 when I was discharged from a brief psychiatric hospital stay for a psychotic manic episode. At that time, my doctor prescribed me 200mg each morning, all at once. This made me incredibly drowsy. If I sat down, it was hard not to fall asleep. When I seemed to be out of the danger zone in terms of mania, we discontinued.

By the end of last year, I'd been fired from two jobs, and had quit a third. At that time I was not taking Seroquel...(except very sporadically). Early this year, I started on a daily regimen of Seroquel. I'm still experimenting with dosage. Currently, my prescription is for 300mg per day. (150mg taken in 3 doses throughout the day, and 150mg before bed)

Since the time I've been taking Seroquel regularly, I sleep well. It quells my racing thoughts so I'm better able to focus. This afternoon, I went to my first day at a new part-time job. I would say that my Seroquel regimen over the past several months has gotten the ball rolling for me to try for an outside occupation. Today during the one-hour training session of my new job which is gift-boxing--I felt scared and was not very friendly or sociable.

So, Seroquel is probably not going to transform me into a fearless socialite. On a more serious note however, I would like to re-iterate that it has gotten the ball rolling so-to-speak for me to get to a more functional state. Firstly, it quelled my racing thoughts, which let me get a good night's sleep. A good night gets me a more energetic and focused mind. Feeling more focused (in control of my thoughts)--I then started to feel more self-assured in general. Feeling more self-assured spurred me to try things.

And so on.

I recommend Seroquel, especially to treat mania.

EA
Sex: female
homemaker, married
Diagnosed Bipolar 1993

Go to Top of Page

dizzydean
Super Member (250+ posts)

838 Posts
Gratitude: 294
Very caringVery honest

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  20:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Dr. Long:

I would recommend Seroquel for other members for treatment of mania. I am on 600mgs, taken at night. I began taking Seroquel 2.5 years ago during an inpatient hospital stay for psychotic mania. (At that time I took 50 mg in the morning, 25 at noon and 150 at night.) Because I still had trouble sleeping and some hypomania, we eventually increased the dose to 600mg at night...Also, I could not tolerate taking the med during the day after the manic episode was under control. I have not had a manic episode since shortly after starting the Seroquel. I also sleep 6-7 hours a night, a big accomplishment for me. (I am diagnosed with Bipolar I with psychotic features, and at that time, it was rapid cycling...4 inpatient stay and 5 outpatient ranging from 10 days to 3 months in the period of 3 years.)

But the Seroquel was ineffective for treating the depression I experinced starting two months after that last manic episode. It took nearly two years to find a combo that did. I am now 6 months free of clinical depression. (I add that it is a low dose antipsychotic (aripirazole 2.5 mg) that has been effective for me.)

I am on government disability so I only pay a small fee for Seroquel. Before I received the benefits, my other insurance deductable for the Seroquel was 100 American dollars/month (approx. 68 Euro/98 Canadian dollar)...on top of the other meds.

One unsettling effect of the Seroquel is if I fail to take the dose for even one day, I am EXTREMELY naseous for the entire next day, or until I start taking it again.

Overall, I am satisfied with my treatment with Seroquel, but I wouldn't have said that while I was still depressed...

Dizzy aka Aunt DD

The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. ~Rajneesh
Go to Top of Page

lynn2150
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

21329 Posts
Gratitude: 2146
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  21:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
My first dose of Seroquel was 100 mg, in June 2008.
I ended up in the ER, I couldn't talk, or walk,
and felt afraid.
I dropped dose to 25 mg, with Dr. permission.
and increased to 50 mg, as 25 mg was too light.
I sleep, well on it, and find I need it.
My temper is very bad, and this drug helps me with that.
I suppose for a manic episode I would recommend it.
My pills are covered by Ontario Disability.

Note to self: ask God what His plans are, for me, for the day.
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

9136 Posts
Gratitude: 822
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honest

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  19:43:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
quote:
Originally posted by EmergingArtist

Hello,
The first time I took Seroquel was in 2004 when I was discharged from a brief psychiatric hospital stay for a psychotic manic episode. At that time, my doctor prescribed me 200mg each morning, all at once. This made me incredibly drowsy. If I sat down, it was hard not to fall asleep. When I seemed to be out of the danger zone in terms of mania, we discontinued.

By the end of last year, I'd been fired from two jobs, and had quit a third. At that time I was not taking Seroquel...(except very sporadically). Early this year, I started on a daily regimen of Seroquel. I'm still experimenting with dosage. Currently, my prescription is for 300mg per day. (150mg taken in 3 doses throughout the day, and 150mg before bed)

Since the time I've been taking Seroquel regularly, I sleep well. It quells my racing thoughts so I'm better able to focus. This afternoon, I went to my first day at a new part-time job. I would say that my Seroquel regimen over the past several months has gotten the ball rolling for me to try for an outside occupation. Today during the one-hour training session of my new job which is gift-boxing--I felt scared and was not very friendly or sociable.

So, Seroquel is probably not going to transform me into a fearless socialite. On a more serious note however, I would like to re-iterate that it has gotten the ball rolling so-to-speak for me to get to a more functional state. Firstly, it quelled my racing thoughts, which let me get a good night's sleep. A good night gets me a more energetic and focused mind. Feeling more focused (in control of my thoughts)--I then started to feel more self-assured in general. Feeling more self-assured spurred me to try things.

And so on.

I recommend Seroquel, especially to treat mania.

EA
homemaker, married
Diagnosed Bipolar 1993

I am diagnosed Bipolar I.

Currently, I am prescribed 700mg/day Seroquel which I take before bed.

I have been stable for 9 months on Seroquel. (In addition to 40mg/day Prozac and 300mg/day Lamictal).

EA
working part-time, married
Diagnosed 1993, Bipolar I

Go to Top of Page

warblaster
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

112498 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2021 :  15:38:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
http://audiobookkeeper.ru/book/204

Go to Top of Page

warblaster