Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Piglet

59 Posts
Gratitude: 3

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  16:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
WELL here we go again. I saw a new PDOC today and man o man after 10 years I finally found one that had a personality ! ( NO offense to any here). He actually held a conversation with me and we talked . SO, I found out that I am on the wrong combo for me and he thinks that I should try Lamictal and maybe I can go off of SSRI's in the future. He says that Lamictal treats the down phase of BP really well and that some do not need both SSRI and Lam. I have anxiety probs though so It may not work for me.Let us pray. SO anyhow I jsut wanted to update y'all since I havent posted in awhile, any suggestions are always welcomed by me.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans!
Go to Top of Page

betharoo
Starting Member

10 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  16:56:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Piglet,

As I mentioned elsewhere, my brother is a shrink. He hates anti- depressants for bipolar. Some of them can aggravate the condition. From my own empirical data, I think you are much better going with Lamictal. Basic anti-depressants did practically nothing for me except pave the path to the hospital. MAOI's were a little better. Lithium finally started to stabilize me, about 10 years into the illness. Now I'm on all kinds of weird stuff, but if it keeps me functioning, I say, whatever!
Go to Top of Page

flyinghound
Super Member (250+ posts)

305 Posts
Gratitude: 6

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  19:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello-
I just wanted to know, concerning naps and such, when you take your Lamictal? I take mine once a day (50 mg and rising)at night.
The only side effect I have had is a headache. Otherwise, I'm lovin it.
Go to Top of Page

Da****
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  07:17:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Piglet
I was put on Risperdal at hospital here in Norway. I had really bad sideeffects, weight gain the most serious. The nurses told me that what was causing the weight gain was lymphatic fluids (excuse my english, I try my best). Those are really difficult to get out of your system. Two years after this I still struggle.
My doc put me on something called Lamictal (Lamotrigine I think it is called in english). This has been a very good change for me. It is a med that is mood stabilazing, but does not leave you feeling "flat" emotionally, but takes the edge of the highs. I used antidepressants too, but had a really great effect of removing them.
I feel that the less meds I can take, the better. I do have to take something to calm my anxiety - but that I can live with.

Da****
Go to Top of Page

Piglet

59 Posts
Gratitude: 3

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  16:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I hear ya on taking as little med as possible DB. I am hoping that all I will have to take is Lamictal. I am starting the weaning process VERY slowly off the Lexapro and lets pray I will be ok!

I hated Risperdal only once and I hated that.
Thanks for your input and your doing just fine with your English!

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans!
Go to Top of Page

kazhil

71 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  15:09:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
hi mooneybeem- there is a site you may find helpful. it is "www.bipolarhappens.com". The girl's name is Julie and she is physically resistant to any and all medications. She has developed coping strategies and has written several workbooks to help others. these can be purchased from her site for about $30 I think. they are free if you are on disability. Although I haven't tried her system yet it sure is intriguing to me and I'll get there soon. All the best.. kazhil
quote:
Originally posted by mooneybeem

I am new to this forum and could use some feedback. I was diagnosed "bp 1" a couple of years ago (by 2 separate Dr's) after years of being treated for clinical depression only and ending up in the hospital. I tried MANY anti depressants and mood stabilizers for over 2 years, wean off one and then onto another. And also therapy sessions. I don't recommend this to anyone... but I weaned off all my meds horrible experience and now only take multi vitamins minerals fish oils and st.johns wart for the last 2 months. I know this sounds risky at best. But I think I feel fairly human. My husband is monitoring me carefully for changes. My Dr. was very nasty and unprofessional when I suggested I was going to do this. I do get racing thoughts and speech and have poor short term memory, but my depression is bearable. I just reached a point of saying " do these meds really help? Is it worth the side effects?"Has any one heard of BP's being treated holistically with success? Signed, Cautiously Optimistic

Go to Top of Page

bella
Starting Member

15 Posts
Gratitude: 2

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  20:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
boy, it's sure nice to know that we are not alone(even though i don't wish what i am going thru on anyone).
i was recently diagnosed w/ bipolar(i was never told if it was 1 or 2) in early may of '05 & have been playing the medication game, "which one/combo is right for me." i was put on lithium & geodon in the hospital & stayed on that for a couple of weeks when going thru out patient therapy(daily). my ankles were gone as if i was pregnant, i slurred my words as if i'd been drinking, tired as all hell ALL the time & had great difficulty driving. there was a lapse of time(day) refilling a geodon perscription & all those bad symptoms subsided-so i stopped taking it. my doctor was very understanding & just advised me to keep the script handy just in case.
which brings me to where i am now. i understand that i will be on lithium for the rest of my life but it makes me feel "flat" & i shared this w/ my doctor. i gave cymbalta a shot(~note~i cannot afford to gain anymore weight) but it really didn't work & made me kind of lazy. i am now trying welbutrin because i had previously taken it for smoking cessation & noticed a BIG differences in my daily "stresses." on a downer note-it's thown me into a depression which really scared the hell out of me because i have never been this deep in my life. at least i called my doctor-doubling dosage tomorrow but it's scarey. i am kind of spooked & hopefully can get the right "remedy" in tact.
Go to Top of Page

bella
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  10:02:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
i am off the wellbutrin(thank gawd) because it had such an opposite effect on me. now i am back on the cymbalta & i am ver very peaceful-no depressive feelings whatsoever but i still feel lazt almost as if i am too relaxed. i shall wait & see-perhaps after 2-4 weeks i'll feel a bit different.
Go to Top of Page

Donaya Raven
Full Member (100+ posts)

214 Posts
Gratitude: 55

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  03:49:12  Show Profile  Visit Donaya Raven's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Since I've only been recently diagnosed I'm on a relatively mild Geodon (like Zyprexa without the weight gain) and Zoloft mix. Just upped the Zoloft two days ago and since eight this morning (it's 7 PM now) my right hand keeps twiiiiiiiiiiiiiitching. I've been scaring all my friends and teachers. Good luck to all of you with your !
Go to Top of Page

blackcondor
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  21:15:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi everyone,

I am on Valproate for my moods and am in the middle of changing from Risperdal 0.5 mg to Seroquel 50 mg, and my pdoc thinks that these meds are enough to prevent depression as well as mania. What he does not know is that I am constantly experiencing mild to moderate depression unless I am on citalopram 20mg, which is the only med that lifts my mood. He thinks that I would go manic if I took citalopram continuously. And when I am depressed, I am too afraid to express it to psychiatrists etc., unless and until I get very badly depressed. So, I pretend like there is nothing wrong, and tend to 'pass' for a person in a more or less 'normal' mood. Does not help me, though.

Well, lately I have been feeling that my life is going nowhere etc. etc. You see, it has been 4 years since I graduated from law school, and I am still not working at a law firm or in Legal Aid office. I feel like such a failure, and many employers in my town seem to think that just because one has a psychiatric condition one must be dumb.

It finally became so intolerable, that last night I started taking citalopram 20mg again - I had some citalopram left over from when my pdoc prescribed it to me last year. I just wish I were brave enough to tell him that 1000 mg of Valproate twice a day does not work for depression, it only works for mania and has made me gain more than 40 pounds, which in itself is very depressing when I look in the mirror.

Also, in the past few months my ankles/feet have been swelling up a bit if I sit down in front of my computer for a few hours, which I like doing quite a bit but which has never been a problem before. But by far, the worst thing has been the effect of the meds on my memory: when I speak I sometimes start sentenses and cannot finish because I would forget the most appropriate word/s to use. And, sometimes I stutter, and I have never used to stutter before. As yet, my written communication is unaffected, thank Goodness.

I am all for meds including vitamins and everything, but is there not something out there that is less toxic to my brain
Go to Top of Page

mikook
Full Member (100+ posts)

112 Posts
Gratitude: 9

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  13:14:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I was going into a depression recently so my doc. put me on effexor. Unfortunately, a couple weeks ago I was experiencing highs and lows simultaneously (mixed state) so my doc put me on olanzapine which made me feel numb. Thankfuly I was only on olanzapine for a few weeks. Now I'm just taking lithium. Hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

Lunus
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  01:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Diagnoised with-
ADD - age 12
Depression - age 14
BiPolar 1 & 2 - age 15
skitso- effective - age 15
autism - age 24
anxity w/ panic atks - age 25 to present

I would just like to say, if there is a will there is a way. The root of the problem, for me, lies within my thought with or without meds. Devotion to disasymble and sort though my past choices in life with a forgiving nature helped my mental state. Situations i have been prescribed meds for i now use an array of self tought cognaitve thinking, and eyes open meditation to relax. Anyhow, it is my belife that people suffer not from an irreversible lack or excess of chemicals, but from past or present infliction and/or enviorment.

Live and let die

Go to Top of Page

Ellie
Super Member (250+ posts)

335 Posts
Gratitude: 77

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  15:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Why do doctors give antidepressants to us so easily before they are sure that we do not suffer from BP? I am one of the misdiagnozed ones (as as Major Depressive) and antidepressants made me much worse. Why don't they give us mood stabilizers first and if they have helped many people, but they are pretty dangerous for some of us.
Go to Top of Page

Linzrobin
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  15:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Wow, i read these posts and felt like "finally! someone understands!" i've been on and off lithium for over ten years. i've tried almost everything in between and right now i'm so frustrated with all the side affects i'm starting to think i should just go back on it, despite the fact it was messing with my thyroid.
right now i'm on topamax, it's making me beyond depressed and having MAJOR anxiety, i feel HORRIBLE. it got really bad when i went up to 300mg.
abilify was great EXCEPT for the askethia (i couldn't stop moving my arms and legs, restless). also my heart was rapidly beating.
geodon, my tongue swelled, i felt manic and off the wall.
neurontin did NOTHING for me, don't even bother.
any advice?
what about homeopathic?
Go to Top of Page

stigmastomper (inactive)
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

24317 Posts
Gratitude: 1940
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  15:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
hi linz robbins ,welcome to my therapy. we look forward to knowing you and helping you. hope we can be freinds. please join us in bipolar social or anywhere on the site you like.

hi everyone hi piglet how are you.

i love everyone red,white,blue and every other frequency and spectrum to.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 27738
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0