New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts
Gratitude: 593
Very caringVery wiseI agree

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  23:13:47  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Dear Members,

As a psychiatrist, I never give Topamax (topiramate) to my Bipolar I Disorder patients. My reasons are:

• Topamax (topiramate) is ineffective as an antimanic medication: Repeated placebo-controlled, double-blind, randomized clinical trials have shown that Topamax (topiramate) is no more effective than a placebo in the treatment of the manic or mixed episodes of Bipolar I Disorder. (See references at the end of this post.)

• Topamax (topiramate) is relatively ineffective as a weight-loss medication: The few pounds of weight loss that results from Topamax therapy can easily be matched by the weight loss on any standard diet. Topamax is a very expensive way to lose 10 lbs.

• Topamax (topiramate) causes significant intellectual impairment: Topamax is called "Dopamax" by many physicians because it significantly "dumbs-down" our patients. (See references at the end of this post.)
When my patients enter a Mixed episode of their Bipolar I Disorder, I always immediately add an antipsychotic medication to their mood-stabilizer. If that proves ineffective, I either increase the doses of the antipsychotic and/or mood-stabilizer, or add a second mood-stabilizer medication.

• Repeated studies have shown that Topomax is no more effective than placebo in the treatment of Bipolar I Disorder.

Bipolar Disord. 2007 Sep;9(6):609-17.

A placebo-controlled, random-assignment, parallel-group pilot study of adjunctive topiramate for patients with schizoaffective disorder, bipolar type.

Roy Chengappa K, Kupfer DJ, Parepally H, John V, Basu R, Buttenfield J, Schlicht P, Houck P, Brar JS, Gershon S.

OBJECTIVES: This pilot study evaluated the efficacy and safety of adjunctive topiramate compared with placebo in the treatment of patients with a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder, bipolar type (SAD-BT).

METHODS: A sample of 48 adult patients with a Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th Edition, Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR) diagnosis of SAD-BT (supported by the Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV Axis I Disorder, Patient Edition) were randomly assigned in a 2:1 ratio (favoring topiramate) to 8 weeks of double-blind treatment with topiramate (100-400 mg/day) or placebo. Patients who had achieved a > or =20% decrease from baseline in their Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale (PANSS) total scores were given the opportunity to continue for an additional 8 weeks of double-blind treatment. The dosage of the study medicine was continued unchanged from the earlier 8-week study period. At the end of the study period, the study medicine was tapered and discontinued over a 2-week period. Primary efficacy was assessed at 8 weeks using the mean change between treatment groups of the PANSS total scores in the intent-to-treat population of randomized patients. Several secondary measures were also assessed. Safety analyses included monitoring of adverse events, vital signs, electrocardiogram (ECG) and laboratory values.

RESULTS: Even though both treatments reduced scores on various psychopathology rating scales, adjunctive topiramate treatment (nearly 275 mg/day) did not show increased efficacy relative to placebo on the primary outcome measure (PANSS scale) or any of the secondary outcome measures. Topiramate-treated patients lost significantly more body weight than placebo-treated patients, which led to a significant reduction in body mass index (BMI). Relative to adjunctive placebo, topiramate-treated patients experienced higher rates of paresthesia, sedation, word-finding difficulty, sleepiness, and forgetfulness, but these differences were not statistically significant. There were no clinically significant abnormalities in either the ECG or laboratory results. There were no serious adverse events in the study. Further, there was no worsening of the PANSS total scores (to > or =10% from baseline), and no significant differences between the treatments on worsening of total Montgomery-Asberg Depression Rating Scale (MADRS) scores [1/13 (7.7%) for placebo; 1/25 (4.0%) for topiramate].

CONCLUSIONS: This pilot study did not support clinical efficacy for adjunctive topiramate treatment in patients with SAD-BT. There were no major safety or tolerability issues in this study. Confirming the results of other studies, topiramate-treated patients did experience greater body weight loss and reduction in BMI.
    PMID: 17845276

J Clin Psychiatry. 2006 Nov;67(11):1698-706.

Adjunctive topiramate therapy in patients receiving a mood stabilizer for bipolar I disorder: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial.

Roy Chengappa KN, Schwarzman LK, Hulihan JF, Xiang J, Rosenthal NR; Clinical Affairs Product Support Study-168 Investigators.

OBJECTIVE: To investigate the efficacy and safety of topiramate versus placebo as adjunctive therapy for the outpatient management of bipolar I disorder.

METHOD: In this 12-week, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, adults with bipolar I disorder (DSM-IV criteria) experiencing a manic or mixed episode with a Young Mania Rating Scale (YMRS) score of >or= 18 while taking therapeutic levels of valproate or lithium received adjunctive topiramate or placebo. Topiramate was titrated from 25 to 400 mg/day over 8 weeks and was continued for 4 additional weeks. The study was conducted from October 2001 through October 2003. The primary outcome measure was the change in YMRS score from baseline to last study visit during the double-blind phase.

RESULTS: The mean +/- SD change in YMRS score from baseline was -10.1 +/- 8.7 (-40.1%) in the topiramate group (N = 143) and -9.6 +/- 8.2 (-40.2%) in the placebo group (N = 144, p = .797). Greater than 50% reduction in YMRS was achieved by 39% of the topiramate group and 38% of the placebo group (p = .914). No significant treatment differences were observed for secondary efficacy measures. Compared with adjunctive placebo, adjunctive topiramate did not worsen mania or induce depression. Paresthesia, diarrhea, and anorexia were more common in the topiramate group. The topiramate group achieved greater reductions than the placebo group in body weight (-2.5 vs. 0.2 kg, p < .001) and body mass index (-0.84 vs. 0.07 kg/m(2), p < .001).

CONCLUSION: In patients treated with lithium or valproate, there was no difference in the reduction of YMRS score in the topiramate and placebo groups. Both groups showed declines of 40%. Topiramate reduced body weight significantly relative to placebo without worsening depressive or manic symptoms.
    PMID: 17196048

Bipolar Disord. 2006 Feb;8(1):15-27.

Topiramate monotherapy in the management of acute mania: results of four double-blind placebo-controlled trials.

Kushner SF, Khan A, Lane R, Olson WH.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of topiramate monotherapy in adults with acute manic or mixed episodes of bipolar I disorder.

METHODS: In four trials, adults hospitalized with acute mania, a diagnosis of bipolar I disorder, history of > or =1 previous manic or mixed episodes, and > or =20 Young Mania Rating Scale (YMRS) score were randomized to double-blind treatment with topiramate (target doses: 200, 400, or 600 mg/day) or placebo; two trials included an active comparator (lithium, 1500 mg/day). The core study duration in all trials was 3 weeks; three trials also had 9-week double-blind extensions. The primary efficacy variable was mean change from baseline in YMRS in the core 3-week study.

RESULTS: Changes in YMRS score during 3 weeks were not significantly different for topiramate versus placebo (mean YMRS reductions, -5.1 to -8.4). Mean YMRS reductions in lithium-treated groups were significantly greater (p < or = 0.001 versus placebo and topiramate). A similar pattern was observed after 12 weeks of double-blind treatment in studies with double-blind extensions. Paresthesia, appetite decrease, dry mouth, and weight loss were more frequently associated with topiramate than with placebo.

CONCLUSIONS: These studies do not support the efficacy of topiramate as monotherapy in acute mania or mixed episodes in adults with bipolar I disorder. Topiramate was not associated with mood destabilization measured as mania exacerbation or treatment-emergent depression. Lithium was confirmed as an effective therapy in this population.
    PMID: 16411977

• Topomax causes very significant intellectual impairment:

Neurology. 2005 Mar 8;64(5):792-8.

Effects of topiramate and gabapentin on cognitive abilities in healthy volunteers.

Salinsky MC, Storzbach D, Spencer DC, Oken BS, Landry T, Dodrill CB.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the cognitive effects of topiramate (TPM) and gabapentin (GBP).

METHODS: Forty healthy volunteers were randomized to a 12-week course of TPM, GBP, or placebo. Doses were gradually escalated over 10 weeks to a maximum of 400 mg/day of TPM or 3,600 mg/day of GBP or to the highest tolerated dose. Subjects were interviewed and examined biweekly. Cognitive testing was performed prior to initiating the drug and again 12 weeks later, at least 2 weeks after achieving plateau dosing. For each subject and cognitive measure, test-retest Z scores were calculated based on regression equations derived from 73 healthy volunteers. Group comparisons utilized the Wilcoxon test.

RESULTS: There were significant TPM vs GBP and TPM vs placebo differences in test-retest Z scores for four of six target cognitive measures (Digit Symbol, Story Recall, Selective Reminding, Controlled Oral Word Association), always indicating worse retest performance for subjects receiving TPM. Overall, 12 of 24 cognitive measures were similarly affected. TPM effects were large, and several target measures averaged >2 SD of negative change. One measure was significantly affected by GBP.

CONCLUSIONS: Topiramate (TPM) impaired cognitive test performance, whereas gabapentin had minimal effects. The effects of TPM were of sufficient magnitude potentially to affect daily and occupational function.PMID: 15753411

Epilepsy Behav. 2006 Jun;8(4):736-41. Epub 2006 May 2.

Cognitive effects of low-dose topiramate monotherapy in epilepsy patients: A 1-year follow-up.

Lee HW, Jung DK, Suh CK, Kwon SH, Park SP.

The present study was conducted to evaluate the long-term effects of low-dose topiramate (TPM) monotherapy on the cognitive function of epilepsy patients. Forty-seven epilepsy patients received TPM, with target doses of 50, 75, and 100 mg/day. Cognitive tests were performed twice, at baseline and 1 year after starting medication. Thirty-six patients completed the follow-up neuropsychological tests. After a year of treatment, 16 patients (44%) complained of cognitive problems. Although it improved seizure frequency and EEG abnormalities, TPM had significantly negative effects on the digit span and verbal fluency tests. These cognitive effects were dose-related and significantly improved after withdrawal from TPM and substitution with older antiepileptic drugs. In conclusion, even at a low dose, TPM has long-term, negative effects on working memory and verbal fluency.
    PMID: 16647301

• Equally disturbing, 23-67% for patients treated with Topomax (topiramate) develop metabolic acidosis. This is a potentially serious adverse effect.

(Letter to Physicians from Janssen-Ortho, the manufacturer of Topamax)

January 12, 2004

IMPORTANT DRUG SAFETY INFORMATION
    TOPAMAX* (topiramate) use is associated with Metabolic Acidosis

Dear Healthcare Professional:

Janssen-Ortho Inc., following discussions with Health Canada, would like to inform you of emerging important safety information which indicates that TOPAMAX* (topiramate) tablets and sprinkle capsules cause hyperchloremic, non-anion gap metabolic acidosis (decreased serum bicarbonate). TOPAMAX* is approved and marketed as adjunctive therapy for the management of patients (adults and children two years and older) with epilepsy who are not satisfactorily controlled with conventional therapy.
    Data on hyperchloremic, non-anion gap metabolic acidosis are derived from placebo-controlled trials and post-marketing experience in over 2.5 million patients. In clinical trials, the rate of occurrence of a persistently decreased serum bicarbonate ranges from 23-67% for patients treated with topiramate and 1-10% for placebo. The incidence of markedly low serum bicarbonate in clinical trials ranges from 3-11% for topiramate and 0 to <1% for placebo.

• An individual on topiramate can expect only to lose between 2-6% of their body weight.

Am J Cardiol. 2005 Jul 15;96(2):243-51.

Efficacy and safety of topiramate in the treatment of obese subjects with essential hypertension.

Tonstad S, Tykarski A, Weissgarten J, Ivleva A, Levy B, Kumar A, Fitchet M.

The effect of topiramate on weight and blood pressure (BP) was examined in a randomized, placebo-controlled trial in obese subjects who had hypertension. After a 4-week, placebo, run-in period, 531 obese subjects (body mass index 27 to 50 kg/m(2)) who had established hypertension were randomly assigned to placebo or 96 or 192 mg/day of topiramate. All subjects received a standardized diet, exercise advice, and behavioral modification from run-in through study end. Initially scheduled for 60 weeks on medication, the sponsor ended the study early to develop a new controlled-release formulation. As a consequence, efficacy was assessed within a predefined modified intent-to-treat population (subjects who enrolled early enough to potentially complete 28 weeks on medication). The placebo and 96- and 192-mg groups had respective weight losses of 1.9%, 5.9%, and 6.5% from baseline (p <0.001 for each comparison with placebo) and decreases in diastolic BP of 2.1, 5.5, and 6.3 mm Hg (p <0.015 vs placebo). Systolic BP was decreased by 8.6 and 9.7 mm Hg in the 96- and 192-mg groups and 4.9 mm Hg in the placebo group (p = NS). Compared with placebo, the topiramate groups had larger proportions of subjects whose weight decreased by > or =5% and 10%, whose diastolic BP decreased by > or =5 and 10 mm Hg, and who achieved normalization of BP (BP <130/85 mm Hg). Adverse events included paresthesia, fatigue, taste perversion, loss of appetite, and difficulty with concentration and attention. In conclusion, topiramate produced clinically relevant effects in reducing body weight and BP, with generally mild to moderate adverse effects.
    PMID: 16018851

There are many cheaper, more effective ways to lose weight that topiramate. These other weight loss methods don't significantly lower a person's intellectual functioning (whereas topiramate does). A much more effective way to lose weight is the "3-S Diet" (no seconds, no sugars, no starches).

The main first-choice medications for Bipolar I Disorder are:

• Lithium: for non-rapid-cycling Bipolar I Disorder

• Certain anticonvulsants (divalproex sodium/valproic acid and carbamazepine) for the treatment and prevention of rapid-cycling Bipolar I Disorder, and lamotrigine for the prevention of depressive relapses (and to a lesser degree manic relapses).

• Antipsychotic medication: half of all individuals with Bipolar I Disorder need antipsychotic medication to augment the effectiveness of their lithium or anticonvulsant therapies.

When depressive episodes of Bipolar I Disorder do not respond to the above therapies; there is a role for antidepressant medication. However, with few exceptions, antidepressant medication should never be used alone as monotherapy for Bipolar I Disorder (since it induces mania).

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator
Go to Top of Page

Jana
Full Member (100+ posts)

177 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  13:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Topamax was wonderful for me. After i lost my job, Topamax helped stabilize me.. because i crashed. It also helped me to lose weight that i gained on Risperdal too. I would definitely recommend giving it a try! Plus.. it also helps with migraines too.

Jana

"Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you. He will never let the righteous fall" Psalms 55:22
Go to Top of Page

Starlitex4
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  04:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I have been on Topamax for 2 years now. I must say it has helped me a great deal. I also am on Welbutrin for the depression and lexapro for the anger. This combo has been working so far.
Go to Top of Page

autumn2night
Full Member (100+ posts)

175 Posts
Gratitude: 4

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  12:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
When I began taking Topamax I initially became agressive towards people at work (customers). I would become agitated if asked to do anything out of the range of my job description. Usually I always pride myself on going out of the way to please my customers! Once I realized this was going on, I quickly adjusted my thinking or popped a .25mg. of xanax until the agitation wore off. (Better than telling my customer to go to hell!) This only lasted for about 2 weeks. The only reason I was taking the topamax was to take off the weight I had gained from the other meds. I was on. It worked. I went from 130lbs. or so to 108 lbs. I feel so much better. It is true in my experience that the cognitive skills have been compromised. I only take 100mgs. I have heard that it is also called "dopamax" because the cognative skills are compromised. It is something to consider. Also my eyesight was altered due to the pressure to the optic nerve. Now I wear glasses to read fine print. [b]These are just my side effects. Everyone will react differently.[b]

Duffy
Go to Top of Page

lyn
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  14:41:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello-I saw my pdoc today and he has put me on topamax and seroquel in small doses to start.I like the fact of the lose of weight as valproate made me fat, but what is the story with the eye sight being affected-pressure on optical nerves??
Lyn
Go to Top of Page

lyn
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  09:25:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Question to Duffy and the Administrator-I am very unhappy at the moment and feel all the side effects of topamax-have only been on it for a week and am worried about what the Administrator has stated.I want to loose weight!!!I also,like you-Duffy ,feel angry at work at every little thing, but I have to wait till I stabilize. I will wait and see if any redness appears in my eyes for glaucoma in the future.
Go to Top of Page

autumn2night
Full Member (100+ posts)

175 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  10:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
The aggression lasted for about two weeks at the most. I likened it to PMS. Once I realized "what was up" with me, it was much easier to adjust my reactions to people and situations! Same principal as when I realize I'm experiencing a manic high - I take great pains not to speed when I drive my car and to stay off the phone. I always have such great ideas when manic that I feel all of my friends just need to hear about these new revelations - even if it is 3:00 a.m.! If not manic, I seldom use the phones.

Eye sight. It changed almost immediately as I remember. More noticeable at work as well. My optometrist looked up the medications I was on and the only new one of course was Topamax. He read the literature on Topamax and said something about the optic nerve. I needed glasses to read fine print after I began taking Topamax.

One last thing. With Topamax - it is a one shot deal in terms for weight loss. It has been reported that if you stop taking it and start to take it sometime later for the purpose to lose weight, it will not work for that purpose. That is the strangest thing about this med. It makes no sense.

Duffy
Go to Top of Page

lyn
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  10:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
It's amazing that other's are really going thru exactly the same thing i'm going thru!!!!Speeding in my car, talking on my cell etc... ha ha. Anyway.Thanx for your reply Duffy.I guess I will continue with this drug to loose the wait and by the way, I went to my gerneral practioner today and has given me Xanor to calm me for my anxiety while the topamax takes time to take effect, which will be about a month an it has only been a week and 3 days-hell!!!I have a new boss,I hate change,I am paranoid already and looking to much into things at work, I hate authority,my first boss new my history,the side effects have started-leg pain,flushes,anxiety,concentration problems,nervousness,coordination problems,irritation, pins and needles and oviously MOOD SWINGS!!!
Bye for now
Go to Top of Page

stefanz
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  05:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi, i'm taking topiramate 3 times a day. twice in the morning at 8.00am. and once at night ay 8.00pm. but i still get the odd fit now and again. i contracted seizures in June 2005. from then on I've had 5 Seizures. i've had 2 in the last month.

i also started having weird type of day nightmare. their really hard to explain. thats why i've came onto here for help. i dont no where to turn to for help. I'm 17. and i dont want my mum or anybody to think i'm going mad.

sometimes while sitting watching tv. or on my computer. or just randomly reading. i get negative thoughts. which really make me feel bad. i just want to curl up and make them dissapear. they usually go away after 10 mins.

they normally happen while either in bed at night. or at day while sitting round the house doing nothing.
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

9136 Posts
Gratitude: 822
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honest

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  21:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
S,
What kind of neg. thoughts do you have?
Go to Top of Page

pooh
Super Member (250+ posts)

322 Posts
Gratitude: 28

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  16:05:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I have been put on Topamax two weeks two days ago. I am really trying to give it a try but I feel like I am going nuts. I feel totally out of control. I can be happy going one minute, then the next want to snap my coworkers head off, then cry my head off. I went to counseling last night and she even notice It. I am in one of my high states. What goes up must come down and I am on my way down now. I can't wait for my moods to stablelize. I am also on Wellbutrin 150mg twice a day. Ativan .5 mg 2 a day as needed. I had to take that twice a day for the past two days just so I don't get fired at work. Well I will stay on the Topamax until I see my pdoc on Tuesday. Just had to get it off my chest.

Poohbear
Go to Top of Page

stefanz
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  14:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
quote:
Originally posted by EmergingArtist

S,
What kind of neg. thoughts do you have?

Hey its been a while, i havent been on this site for abit.

the negative thoughts havent been so bad as of lately, tough wood.

but i still get the odd one, and they feel bad. they usually happen when i'm in bed and have had a long day at college and work. all the thoughts playing over my mind while i'm laying in bed. and i just feel like cracking up and i dont have enough space. but usually after a good few minutes, the feeling goes away.
Go to Top of Page

autumn2night
Full Member (100+ posts)

175 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  22:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I'm posting at 2 boards. I've found that the Seroquel I've been taking for a while had been less effective - expired sometime ago. My Topamax was increased to 150mgs. Since I began 300mgs. of Seroquel ( all current) my cognitive skills, and memory have increased two fold. Yet the increase of Seroquel is making me very tired every other day. I have lot's of energy one day and complete bed rest the next. I'm sure this is due to the adjustment period. The weight gain has me confused. Should the Topamax have kept me at my 110 lbs.?

I like the fact that I can actually read the newspaper and retain every article I have read. I have been able to recall names that I haven't been able to do in years. But, I am going to increase the Topamax now. Am I playing a dangerous game with the chemicals in my brain? Am I going to lose my cognitive abilities, etc.? You would never know that I have a college degree by my writing.

Topamax. Will I ever know who I really am?
Go to Top of Page

autumn2night
Full Member (100+ posts)

175 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  12:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I have increased the Seroquel to 400 mgs. now. The Topamax has been increased to 175 mgs. The second to third day of the increase of Topamax the decrease in memory was very noticeable. My friends and family(all adults) picked up on the inconsistencies in my presentation immediately. I had to apologize - either that or continue to be extremely embarrassed! The weight has stabilized and I am happy with that aspect. My memory has not rebounded yet. I can't imagine having to work as an employee. Perhaps sometime in the future the chemist's will address the concern the we as the patient have of taking medications that will be cohesive with our desire not to gain weight at the same time of ingesting psych. meds.

Just an after thought.

Go to Top of Page

autumn2night
Full Member (100+ posts)

175 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  15:38:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Wow, what a winter we have had in Colorado. I don't know if my weight gain had anything to do with my sedentary lifestyle I acquired during the past few months or if it was due to the medications. We had so much snow that our cities were unable to plow the secondary roads. I would not take my car out of the garage. My husband drives a SUV and would of course drag me out a few times a week. No sunny days for the most part and lethargy sets in easily for a lot of us.

I gained 9 pounds! Last week I went back to 300 mgs. of Seroquel and 200 mgs. of Topamax. The funny thing about Topamax is that the 50 mg. tablets metabolize differently than the 25mg one. The 25mgs. start working very quickly, so I take 2- 25mgs. and 1- 50mg twice a day. I have begun to lose weight. The Seroquel decrease was not the greatest decision. The "communication" has started again. Funny, when I was working with integrating the MPD "stuff" this was fine. I begin to question "who am I". At best, it is what it is. I am taking walks now that the weather has changed and Spring is just around the corner. Memory is still not affected.

I wish I could be normal some day.

Autumn

Go to Top of Page

porcha
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  18:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello I am a new member as of yesterday and I have to say that it is nice that there is a website such as this one, I have learned a lot. I have been on 3 different meds not all at the same time but I have been on Efecsor, I am not sure that this is the right spelling for that also I have been on rispeidone which I had missed my period so I had to get off that and am now on seriqul. I have read that I should be taking a mood stabilizer as well but my Doctor has not suggested that for me. I feel that it might help me because these meds alone have not been working well. I have gained weight about 20 pounds from the meds and I would be very interested in taking topiramate. I am going to ask my doctor about it. I just wanted to no if this is something that he would consider and how all you people got on to this. Is this something that they give out for bipolar. And is it something that will work along with seriqul? Thank you for your time

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 27759
New Topics: 21
New Topics: 0