Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RedRocket

92 Posts
Gratitude: 5

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  16:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I am 34 years old and have been on Lithium for one year and it has been working very well for me. My dose is relatively low - 600 mg, but it keeps the demons at bay lol. I expect to be on it for the rest of my life.

I am very interested in hearing anecdotal experiences from people who have been using or have used Lithium in the long term. I know what the experts say and what the PI sheet tells me, but like anything, I would like to hear real life experiences. I recognize that what happened to you may not happen to me, but I'm trying to get a realistic handle on how long I can really stay on this wonder drug.

Thanks everyone for your input!
Go to Top of Page

nan (inactive)
Starting Member

11 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  12:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
HI RED

I am on Lithium for over 30yrs. I am on a slow release form of Lithium which is call Eskalith CR. I am taking 450mg twice a day.
I was in denail for aa long time and I paid for it being in a phosp for 6 times. Without Lithium,
I would be back in the hospital. I would be a vegatable. Lithium is part of my life right now and I will be taking it for the rest of my life. But, I do have to go to my pdoc and get a blood test so you would be at a theraputic range. It is important to drink alot of water with lithium. If you have any other questions about lithium please ask.

HUGS,

Nan
Go to Top of Page

flyinghound
Super Member (250+ posts)

305 Posts
Gratitude: 6

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  09:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi

I have been on Lithium Carbonate for 8 years and it is the "cornerstone" of my med mix. I take 1,200 mg a day and function pretty well on it. I do get very thirsty and have some shakiness at times in my hands. I do well with a blood level of around .8-.9.
I have tried other meds, but I do alright with Lithium.
Go to Top of Page

DrJack
Starting Member

27 Posts
Gratitude: 3

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  20:54:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Old thread, yeah I know...

But I'm on 1350 mg a day and I'm doing alright. I get really thirsty from time to time. Especially at night. I don't get the shakes, but I find lithium doesn't really doesn't help with everything.

My doc just removed me from Nefazadone. It was causing me to have frequent fluctuations.

Otherwise, I kind of like lithium. I didn't like Depakote much at all and I find this treatment much more desireable.

Jack -
Go to Top of Page

RedRocket

92 Posts
Gratitude: 5

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  09:12:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Thanks DrJack!

I love lithium and I have had no weight gain, the odd tremor, depending on my diet and fluid intake.

I was looking more for the down the road implications i.e. liver function, thyroid etc. but I'm not sure I would give those little beige pills up for anything. A manic moment maybe. Just one. please.
Go to Top of Page

DrJack
Starting Member

27 Posts
Gratitude: 3

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  19:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
RedRocket -

Well, I've been close to hyperthyroidism a couple of times, but my thyroid level usually pulls back into the middle of the normal range.

As with you, I wish i could experience one more bout of pure mania. My mind has been so tortured with mixed mania due to the nefazadone, I would give my left you know what for just a couple of days of that old familiar feeling.

Although - That old familiar feeling tends to come with some bad ideas and decisions with all there warm fuzzy repercussions.

Jack -
Go to Top of Page

weirdharold
Starting Member

48 Posts
Gratitude: 7

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  20:41:57  Show Profile  Visit weirdharold's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I took lithium for 18 yrs.and 4 months. It was the best mood stabilizer I have every took. I am 200 lbs + and I took 1200 - 1600 mgs through that period. It did a number on my kidneys in the end. I do believe after 14 months they are back to normal. Most of my levels were in the .6-.8 range, however I had three toxic episodes. They were easy to recognize. Stay cool and drink lots of water. Be sure to keep Sodium Chloride in the body at normal level. I have heard of a man recently had some really bad effects from lithium after taking a very low dose (600 mg) for 24 years. Sorry to say it is doubtful you young folks will be able to take all your life.
Go to Top of Page

Newzpix
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  11:55:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I've just been prescribed lithium and will take my first dose this evening. I am scared of the side effects. I am a photographer and tremors and loss of creativity would hinder my work. I'm also scared of the thyroid and weight gain issues.

Do I have reason to be scared or is the info I'm reading isolated cases?

I almost to the point of telling my shrink NO MEDS!
Go to Top of Page

Squiggles
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  18:50:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi,

I am a long-term lithium taker (20 yrs);
You have to watch your thyroid for possible
supplementation and get your blood levels
checked regularly. I have found that weight
gain has increased over the years, possibly
because i spend too much time on the net.
However, once adjusted to the right lithium
dose (tremors can mean toxicity) and the
thyroid is at a good level, the side-effects
are predictable (see the numerous monographs
on lithium on the net).

Squiggles
Go to Top of Page

wildchild (inactive)
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  12:54:57  Show Profile  Visit wildchild's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

I have been taking 900 mg of Lithium Carbonate (generic) since June 1994. Apparently I was never diagnosed as Bipolar I even though I have exhibited ALL the symptoms since I was in 1st grade. When my pdoc started Lithium everything got so much better (I do miss the manic highs though, even though they always disintegrated into psychosis).

Lithium has never caused me any side effects; I AM careful with my daily fluid intake so I do not become toxic. My lithium level is consistent at 0.8 for the past 12 years. Other psych meds I take are Adderall XR 60 mg, Klonopin 2 mg three times a day, Effexor 150 mg two times a day, Cymbalta 60 mg, Trazadone 450 mg at bedtime, and Flexeril 20 mg at bedtime (I have great difficulty obtaining quality sleep; apparently this is common with all bipolar patients.)

It took all 12 years to come up with the right combination of meds and doses; Lithium got me 80% back to normal and the other meds were added gradually over the years with Cymbalta being the last addition in 2006.

All bipolars should be patient about their meds working (especially Lithium) because it take a long time to get the full effect. When the Cymbalta was added in about a month I felt better mentally than I have for a long long time. I can partially function as a human being and I am so grateful for that gift.

I love my Lithium!

A retired disabled doctor of pharmacy who is 54 years old

Diann M. Torrey, PharmD
(Doctor of Pharmacy)
Go to Top of Page

Ashok
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  05:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi there,

I am on Lithium for the past 6 to 7 years. I am very very depressed/confused presently, have stopped going to work, stopped bathing/hygiene, and my life is in total disarray. I am 33 years old and am still unmarried. Well with all these troubles I don't think I am going to get married at all, let alone my bad financial position. I was supposed to have become a Docter, but could not continue my studies and had to stay at home for nearly 6 years. This affliction started in 1996 and am still suffering to the present day. Due to breakup with my girlfriend I went into depression and was given imipramine. Exactly 4 weeks later, I became manic and was diagnosed as Bipolar Disorder (supposedly unmasked by Imipramine). Apart from lesser frequencies of depression and/or hypomania, I really feel like a dumb person just taking this Lithium without any actual improvement. I consulted Dr. Galgali, St. John's Hospital, Bangalore for this twice or thrice in the past. But without counselling, his medications are not helping me much. Presently, I am not talking to anyone in my home nor with my few friends of 4 or 5. I just feel like I am cornered, isolated, and confined. Please somebody help me.....................

Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

9136 Posts
Gratitude: 822
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honest

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  05:58:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi and welcome

I was on lithium for about 13 years. Sounds like you have a lot of stress in your life which I know makes things worse.

Suggestion: I see this is your 1st post. The most popular forum is General Discussion Topics, so you might get more replies to your questions in that forum.

Again, welcome

-EA

Still round the corner there may wait
A new road or secret gate.

(J.R.R. Tolkien)
Go to Top of Page

swag
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  16:21:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I have taken Lithium 18 years, the best years of my life. I have run into a bump in the road first thyroid, not the DR. says something is wrong with my kidneys. I awaiting test to see what I do next, s/b back this week.

I told my husband that it was nice feeling normal like everyone else. I know I have had this since I was very young but you know they didn't pickup on those things back then.

Don't know what I will do if no lithium it truly was my miracle drug. Drs tried several other drugs that didn't work. I will not take any drug that makes me gain weight, I did that in High School, people can be very mean.
Go to Top of Page

lynn2150
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

21329 Posts
Gratitude: 2146
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  18:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I started on 300mg, then 600 mg the 900mg at night.
I had to go off of my anti-depressant Paxil, as I was becoming manic, and, had interactions, tingling scalp and face.
I am on 20 mg of paxil still, down from 40 mg, I am now ready to drop to 10 mg, paxil,
I take 900 mg Lithium and night, and must drink tons of water.
We do blood work to check levels, and thyroid function.
Hope that helps.!
Go to Top of Page

JackieG
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  03:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
ive been on lithium for 4 or 5 years. its the 'base' of my medications. ive gone toxic on it 4 times and done slight damage to my liver. there is a fine line for me between the right does and toxicity. i typically am on 1000mg a day. without lithium (i have tried without it once) will not work. i was told long term, there are no issues, and no need to keep increasing it.
Go to Top of Page

88note
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  14:15:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Not sure if this is an extinct thread.

Have used lithium as a monotherapy for 21 years, although last year lamotrigine was added. Four years ago started to experience issues with sexual function, that is to say sustaining an errection during intercourse. Im 53. Only recently did it dawn on me that lithium might have a part in it and began researching the topic.

There's an Israeli study that cites responses to a questionaire given to litium users. 20 or 23% of respondents said they experience an effect on sexual function, but overall the stability lithium offered outweighed the disadvantage.

I was looking for more info on this topic and discovered this site.

Was diagnosed simply as 'bipolar' in 1989 when there was not the differentiation between BP I & II. Two years ago the diagnosis was updated to BP II. (Had taken a 5 year break from psychiatry triggered by a practitioner's disrespect of privacy - have a supportive general practitioner).

Depression rather than mania has always been my issue.

Have reached a point where I think I will slowly taper the lithium down to nothing over about 2 months. Want to see if it affects the sexual thing. Don't think this is unsafe. Do think its a worthile thing to test. I have the cover of lamotrigine which is reported as a better mood stabiliser than lithium in the context of bipolar depression, particuluarly BP II.

Wondering if anyone has specific experience or comment.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 27738
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0