Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SheerLin
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

3918 Posts
Gratitude: 201

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  07:07:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi,
I too am having a weight problem, I was losing weight when i got diagnosed with bp2. I really think the meds are a big part of the problem. My pdoc even said seroquel makes you gain weight and so does lithium, which I take. Do you think the pdoc is going to buy me a larger size, hell no. It`s an added expense buying new clothes. I got a closetfull and they are too small now, I hate pills. Maybe I should get a treadmill!
SheerLin
Go to Top of Page

SheerLin

3918 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  05:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi ,
It does seem you have to choose beween meds or weight, you`re right about that. I have a stationary bike in the basement collecting dust. Thanks for the tip on getting a second hand treadmill, I do like to walk anyway, I walk my dog everyday.
I just seem to have no energy sometimes. It`s got to be the meds. I am seeing my pdoc next week so I`m going to ask for something else, maybe Topomax, your supposed to lose weight with that one.

SheeLin
Go to Top of Page

Ferengi (inactive)

3264 Posts
Gratitude: 332
Very wiseVery honest

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  13:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Topomax you will lose weight on.

Ferengi
Go to Top of Page

SheerLin

3918 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  13:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Thanks Ferengi, wish me luck on the 23rd, when I see my pdoc after 8 months.

SheerLin
Go to Top of Page

RedRocket

92 Posts
Gratitude: 5

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  12:29:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Sheer Lin, please consider the reasons why you are changing your medications! It is so very difficult to find the right medications to treat our mental illness and often once you discontinue, they may not work the same way again once you try to go go back on them if this other med doesn't work for you.

I am on Lithium and have not experienced a weight gain. Mind you, I have made exercise a new obsession in my life in that I must do it every day. And yes, it is hard sometimes when you don't feel like you have the energy but now I am addicted to exercise and the feelings it elicits. My day is not complete without a walk or a trip to the gym. I'm worth it.

I also take care to drink ALOT of water, as in 12-14 glasses a day, restrict your caffeine (although I still drink some every day) and get rid of soft drinks, even the diet kind. I find if I don't drink my water I feel like I'm getting all soft and squishy and my carb cravings go wild.

Weight gain is a huge issue for me so I can understand how you are feeling.
Good luck I hope things work out for you.
Go to Top of Page

ssanah
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  12:33:15  Show Profile  Visit ssanah's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Has anyone had any experience going off of any of their drugs. I am in the process of weening off of risperdal and klonopin. I hope to loose some weight naturally as I go off of these meds. Also, has anyone had any experience gaining weight from klonopin? I suppose I can't really tell if klonopin or risperdal is more to blame...
Go to Top of Page

SheerLin

3918 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  05:38:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Ssanah,
I was weaned off antidepressants last year. I had to spend a week in hospital. I don`t think klonopin makes you gain weight, but I`m not sure about risperdal, that one made me very ill, like the flu. So when you are weaned off these two drugs, will they be replaced with something else? Just curious.

SheerLin
Go to Top of Page

LLOliverR
Super Member (250+ posts)

977 Posts
Gratitude: 6

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  08:46:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi SheerLin,

I am 42 and know exactly what you are talking about with the weight issue. I have taken antidepressants for 20 years and have gained weight on every one. Even the ones that the docs said, "Oh, these help people lose weight!" Every time one of the docs would tell me that I would just grit my teeth and think "yeah, and I'll be one of the 10% who gain" and try as I might to lose weight, it just wouldn't happen. BUT, in defense of me, the docs, and the drugs, we didn't know I was bipolar and the antidepressants weren't enough to control my symptoms. After the manias hit, the depressions would come back and one of my ways to cope was to eat. (It also doesn't help that I'm only 4' 10 1/4" tall...Sorry, but I have no idea what that equates to in metric measurements. It used to drive our Brazilian exchange student crazy!)

What I do want to share with you is an 'epiphany' that I had early on with one of the meds that I was taking. I was in my early 20's and had gained weight (again) on a new med that I was taking and I was desperate to go on a different one (even though my depression was under control at the time) so I could lose weight. I switched meds and had a horrible reaction. I just remember lying in bed and crying to my husband that it wasn't bad enough that I was fat and depressed now I was also horribly sick, too, and STILL fat and depressed. AND I ended up having to go on a third medicine instead which I still gained weight on. I'm voting with the majority here that if your meds are helping your symptoms AND your weight is not where you or your doctor think it is "life threateningly high" or where it is interfering with the quality of your life (where you're unable to work, etc.) you might want to see if he can adjust the dosage or something first before doing something as drastic as changing it all together.

When I was diagnosed as bipolar, the doc gave me a choice of lithium or Topamax to start with and if they didn't work, he said we could discuss others later. He explained that the lithium was fast acting, but could cause weight gain (and I am already overweight). The Topamax would take a few weeks to help (and I was in pretty bad shape), but it usually helps people to lose weight. I opted for the Topamax, because I was not suicidal and I have a LOT of support people around close to me to help me. I have lost weight and the Topamax has been a Godsend for me, BUT it was 6 to 8 weeks of hell waiting for it to kick in. Just please really consider it before you make such an important decision based JUST on weight. (But I DO understand).

The first night after we came home from the doc's office I laid in bed crying and telling my husband that it wasn't going to help my depression a whole lot, if I had to switch to the lithium later (remember I was depressed at the time) and my mood was great, but I weighed 400 lbs. He rolled his eyes and said, "Can we worry about one thing at a time, please?"

Just hang in there. We're here for you and we all understand!

LL
Go to Top of Page

Ferengi (inactive)

3264 Posts
Gratitude: 332
Very wiseVery honest

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  17:24:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Your weight gain is the Risperdal for sure. That one I have seen put on up to about sixty pounds on people.

Ferengi
Go to Top of Page

SheerLin

3918 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  05:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Red Rocket,
I think I will take your advise and not push to change my meds. I know I don`t exercise a lot, so I`m going to try harder. Thanks for your input.

SheerLin
Go to Top of Page

charm
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  13:28:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
HEY IAM NEW HERE MY NAME IS LISA I TAKE DEPAKOTE AND PAXIL AND I HAVE GAINED WEIGHT I HATE IT SO NOW I WILL HAVE TO JOIN A GYM . I FEEL JUST LIKE THE REST OF U GUYS AND SOMETIMES DONT HAVE ANY ENERGY. I SAW MY DOCTOR TODAY IN THE GROUP THERAPY IT WAS MY FIRST TIME I LIKED IT ACTUALLY. I WANT MY LIFE VBACK IAMM 24 YEARS OLD IAM ASTUDENT AT HOME I DONT WORKI HAVE MY BOYFRIEND HE HELPS ALOT AND HE UNDERSTANDS MENTAL ILLNESS. THANK GOD!
Go to Top of Page

SheerLin

3918 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  14:33:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi and welcome Lisa
It`s the meds putting on the weight. I got so lazy, I have to force myself to get out of the chair sometimes. Anyway I got fed up and cut my food intake down, still don`t do much, stopped junk food. Anyway I`m losing the extra weight, but it is hard. good luck, if I can do it you can.

SheerLin

Life is what happens, while you`re busy making other plans.... John Lennon
Go to Top of Page

comrade22
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  18:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Zyprexa: 2 10 mg tablets, one in the morning and one at night

Male, age 22
Was 20 when I took it.

Became a real porker and ballooned outward, 40 LBS Weight Gain, Waist went from 30' to almost 36 inches, 6 Pack ABS to Flab Rolls (a real pot belly) Constant hunger, Ate anything not nailed down (carbs mostly), Lethargic. Originally 5'11'' and 157 lbs (age 20 at the time) Then became about 197 lbs. Shortness of breath, Chest Pain Little sex drive (Who could with all this new belly fat?)
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts
Gratitude: 593
Very caringVery wiseI agree

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  02:39:20  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Dear Members,

Although most medications used to treat Bipolar Disorder cause weight gain; there are some exceptions.

WEIGHT LOSS WITH CARBAMAZEPINE

Whereas lithium and divalproex sodium (or valproic acid) usually cause weight gain; carbamazepine is usually associated with weight loss. Here is one research paper on this point:

Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1992 Feb;85(2):114-8.

Carbamazepine versus lithium in the prophylaxis of bipolar affective disorder.

Coxhead N, Silverstone T, Cookson J.
Academic Unit of Human Psychopharmacology, Medical Colleges of St. Bartholomew's, London, United Kingdom.

A 12-month double-blind trial of carbamazepine vs lithium, given as sole treatment for the prophylaxis of bipolar affective disorder, was carried out in 31 patients. All were previously stable on lithium; 15 were switched over to carbamazepine and 16 remained on lithium. Although the overall relapse rate was similar in the 2 groups (6 on carbamazepine, 8 on lithium), nearly all the relapses in carbamazepine occurred in the first month, probably precipitated by lithium withdrawal. Two patients on carbamazepine developed a rash and were withdrawn. More side effects were noted during the early stages on carbamazepine. Patients on lithium tended to gain weight (+4 kg) compared with carbamazepine (-3.1 kg). It is concluded that carbamazepine is as effective as lithium in the prophylaxis of bipolar affective disorder; changeover from lithium to carbamazepine should be done slowly.

PMID: 1543034 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

WEIGHT LOSS WITH FLUPENTHIXOL

The newer (or "atypical") antipsychotic medications all cause very significant (20-40+ lb) weight gain. In contrast, an older antipsychotic medication, flupenthixol, is equally as effective, but is associated with no weight gain.

The problem with flupenthixol is that it is manufactured by a small pharmaceutical firm that has done little research on its use in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder. I have found flupenthixol to be effective with my patients when used in combination with a mood-stabilizing medication (i.e., lithium, carbamazepine or divalproex sodium).

Here is an old research paper on flupenthixol and Bipolar Disorder:

Int Pharmacopsychiatry. 1979;14(6):305-9

The long-term treatment of periodical and cyclic depressions with flupenthixol decanoate.
Kielholz P, Terzani S, Poldinger W.
In a 2- to 3-year open study 30 patients were treated with flupenthixol decanoate (depot form). These periodic and cyclic depressive patients had side effects during treatment with lithium salts. In comparison with the depressive and manic phases before the treatment, the prophylactic effect of flupenthixol decanoate on periodic and cyclic forms of depression was similar to the effect of lithium salts.

PMID: 548504 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I use flupenthixol as my drug of first choice for the treatment of Schizophrenia (and if it fails, I then use loxapine). I have found that my patients won't stay on the newer antipsychotic medications once they experience a significant weight gain. Since flupenthixol causes little or no weight gain; my patients are more likely to stay on this medication.

Flupenthixol costs a fraction of what the newer antipsychotic medications cost. Since it is never advertised; must psychiatrists have never heard of this excellent antipsychotic medication. It is available in Europe and Canada.

MY SON LOST 40 LBS THIS SUMMER

Just a final note. This summer, my 6'4" son lost 40 lbs eating the same food that I ate. During this time period, I didn't lose any weight.

How did he do it?

He followed a simple "3 S" diet: no sugar, no starches, and no seconds. No sugar meant that he only had fruit after his main course (no pastries, ice-cream, etc.). No starch meant that he didn't have potato rice, corn, pasta, or bread. No seconds meant that he only ate one normal sized helping. I broke all these rules and didn't lose an ounce. He religiously followed these "3 S" rules and lost 40 lbs. Worse still, I climbed a steep mountain trail (the Grouse Grind) three times a week (and it is very strenuous); and he didn't exercise. He never left the table hungry, and he ate a very well-balanced diet. I am now starting his "3 S" diet.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

Meadhbh

4514 Posts
Gratitude: 570
Very caringVery wiseVery honest

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  14:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I lost 50 pounds a few years ago by using portion control and exercising on a treadmill. If we ate out, I would eat only half of the meal (serving sizes are riduculous unless you're a football player) served, or I would eat about half of a burger and not eat the fries, so I still ate what I wanted, just a lot less of it. I walked on my treadmill for 30 minutes every day. Even with all the medication and being over 40 I was able to lose weight. Unfortunately, you know the rest of the story, I have gained half of it back. Why? Because I stopped doing what I had been doing. Stupid, huh? When will I ever learn?

Just a funny sidenote: I just caught my Jack Russell terrier trying to take a box of Kleenex out through the dog door! She's been working on it for awhile, and I finally decided to see what the heck she was doing making all that noise! It's amazing what I find in the backyard sometimes. Our terrier mix buries socks in the backyard. We indulge him because he was abused. We go sockless alot.
Go to Top of Page

stile
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1627 Posts
Gratitude: 461
Very caringVery honest

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  23:42:24  Show Profile  Visit stile's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello, does anyone know if Zyprexa and Paxil are associated with weight gain? I am on 15mg and 40 mg respectively, and have gained about 20 pounds over the last year and a half. I do exercise regularly and have started to stabilize the weight gain (now I just need to lose it).

Many thanks,

-stile

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 27759
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0