Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

juniperbelle

62 Posts
Gratitude: 39

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  15:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
As I grow older and no longer have to work, I have more time for volunteering, politics, global and environmental concerns, contemplation of the future. Yes, I am pretty much busy much of the time, between church, family, caring for my elderly mother, volunteering, and local politics.

Wars and violence seem to be increasing rather than decreasing, which doesn't speak much for human evolution and learning from past mistakes/history. Radicalism is rampant worldwide, but especially evident in the US, where the hatred and distrust between progressives and conservatives seems to get broader and deeper all the time. I thought world peace was our main goal, but the hawkish conservatives trick us into war! Yet, the hawks claim Christian to have more "Christian" values than the liberals/progressives.

Climate is particularly frightening. I have no wish to live in a world without wild and beautiful places, all the varieties of animals, clean water, clean air. I wouldn't wish future generations to be deprived, either.

This is a long winded way to ask whether other people are frightened.
I really fear for the future generations. What will they face financially, politically, environmentally? What gives people courage to continue having children, when the future looks so bleak?
Go to Top of Page

area24
Super Member (250+ posts)

253 Posts
Gratitude: 47

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  00:35:00  Show Profile  Visit area24's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I see the same thing happening and I'm wondering
why it took me so long to see it. I've been
following peak oil and climate change for years
but always as separate events. I now see
why republicans have spent like crazy men and
why they tripled the deficit even apart from
Iraq. Because they knew the jig was going
to be up. They refused to acknowledge climate
change because they didn't want to have businesses
spend the money for energy efficiency on their watch.
The Iraq war was fought because of peak oil not
because of 911.

Is this part of a cycle or are food prices going
to continue to rise. Are the nitrates used for
growing food made from oil the only reason why it's
so expensive or is it the transportation costs for shipping
or both?

I don't believe in "The Rapture" or Alex Jones or
anything like it but it is strange that peak oil
and climate change are coming together. Maybe because
fossil fuels have made substantial contributions to climate change
and is the main reason they are happening together.

Why is there such a disparity between rich and poor?
Why were taxes lowered for the rich in the middle
of a war? Because it was a matter of grabbing
whatever you can get while the public is still
asleep.
Go to Top of Page

davidt
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

82944 Posts
Gratitude: 2519
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  18:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Hi Juniperbelle and area24.,

I'm in awe of what you have both shared with us here.I trust there is much response endorsing your moral concern on this matter.

I see us all, as guardians of planet earth. War and famine, as well as the future of our planet rests with the present inhabitants.

I'd like to see further war, but I hasten to add, not of a violent nature. But a war on want and environmental issues, long since been taken for granted!

Delighted to see you here, contributing, in what ever matter speaks to your condition, David

If you work these communities ... there's a good chance these communities will work for you!
Go to Top of Page

davidt

82944 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  18:07:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

PS., I believe not until we show our compassion to all living matter, ( of a symbiotic nature ), shall we begin to know peace ourselves!

A worthwhile topic indeed JB., David

If you work these communities ... there's a good chance these communities will work for you!
Go to Top of Page

juniperbelle

62 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  08:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Thanks for responding, everyone. I sometimes think I'm like the cartoon character carrying a sign saying "The end of the world is coming." Everyone laughs at my fears (after all, I'm depressed, right?) or is too busy living a hectic life to even contemplate the matter. I'm not a "rapture" kind of person, either. I believe the holy can be found in many ways. In fact, I'm repulsed by people who claim they will be saved in the rapture and to hell with the rest of us. That's certainly a loving, caring attitude.

Yep, I think humans have fouled our world and now must clean it up or die trying. I think a lot about matters of this sort but so far haven't found many people who are willing to talk about them. Thanks
for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

davidt

82944 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  14:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Hi JB.,

I am with you all the way on this one, whether others in the 'outside' world label us cranks or not. Thats for them. We are not responsible for their thoughts .... only our own!

As I indicated earlier a exceedingly worthwhile topic, David

PS., It would be nice to see you engaging a little more with us, if that is at all possible!

Go to Top of Page

juniperbelle

62 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  14:53:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi, Davidt

I really am up to my eyeballs in trying to get Democrats elected in Idaho, the reddest of the red states. The state of this nation and the world, the economy, wars, starvation, global warming, etc. are all so depressing to an already depressed person. The only way I can keep from going crazy is to spend all my time trying to change things. I appreciate your noticing my absence; I'll try to set aside time for the forums. Who needs them more than I?
Go to Top of Page

area24

253 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  10:05:38  Show Profile  Visit area24's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Glad to hear you're working in Idaho for the Mocrates
and Obama.

Go to Top of Page

Hoppy

441 Posts
Gratitude: 137

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  14:52:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Usually every generation claims the end is near, remember the 80's with the Shaw of Iran, the arms we gave them, remember the 60's and JFK's Cuban missile crisis, remember Hitler; ill-intent has always been there in the heart of men; satellites were put out there, what, a half a century ago, I'm a target from them, being hit almost daily wiht space weapons, would you believe that the spy satellites may have been targeting me all of my life? that's 39 years. Delgado said in the 60's or 70's that a person doesn't have the right to his or her own mind, and that they, as scientists, needed to come up with a way to physically control the mind; this will be done too, definitely to our prisoners who go out on parole. The fight for the mind has been going on for awhile, and what I wonder is, are humans becoming extinct? I say that because Republicans know that the new world order is rising, that everything is in place now to control humans: cell phone towers, satellites, internet all working as one big machine to end life as we know it. This is why I stopped being an environmentalist, because humans are becoming extinct. By the way, I volunteer for Barack Obama too, here in Iowa. I don't think we need another another dynasty in office, like the Bushes and the Clintons.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

juniperbelle

62 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  15:06:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi, Hoppy/Sheri, thanks for your kind thoughts. Yes, dreaming and working for Obama helps me a lot and gives me some hope. I'm just so afraid that the Republicans will somehow steal the election like they did in 2000 and 2004. I'm am fast losing my faith in the government. Over the last 8 years, our Constitution has been violated over and over.

I agree that evil people would like to control weaker folks' minds, income, freedom, happiness, religion, politics. I don't understand why our democracy has become an autocracy or oligarchy, and I'm fighting it with all my being and time. It makes me even more sick and worried, but this planet is worth it.

Since we have 6,000,000 humans on earth, I don't think we are becoming extinct; I think we are overwhelming and ruining the earth.

My faith is weak but helps me somewhat. I just know that God/the Holy One/the Supreme Being helps those who help themselves. Afterall, that's why we have brains and free will. The Creator may have set things in motion millions of years ago, but it's our problem now. I just hope the good people win over the bad.

Hugs to you.

Go to Top of Page

Hoppy

441 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  15:38:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Remember that 1984 was supposed to be the apocolypse? That was basically about implanting humans. In a brave new world there will be all of these things available to us humans. How great, after decades of the government using, abusing and hording it all, for us to get the internet. This is our tool. In the future, they will have implants, most likely in their hands, and they will shop at a store and just walk out with their groceries through a scanning device, and someone there may say, sir, don't forget your receipt. It will be used instead of license plates, instead of driver's licenses, instead of medical files, does it scare you? Its already being done in other countries--they get implants to be able to pay quicker for their beers in the bars, just scan your hand and go. I wonder if I have a brain implant, something that can track my every move and my thoughts and torture me. Others have said that they don't need that any more, they use direct energy weapons after locking on to our electrical field around our bodies, or like a brain fingerprint. Right now I have bad head pain, and its because I am sitting at the computer. It gives excessive electromagnetic energy that cripples my head and makes me want to move away. It isn't always just at the computer. For instance, in the car, its like the sun is inside my head and each beam is projecting into the inside of my head, trying to get out. Anyway, thanks for talking about this stuff. I don't know if the end of the world is coming, but I do know from personal experience that, as a human, technology is against me. Its harming me, its exploiting me, and I don't have the means to fight back.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

juniperbelle

62 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  15:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
My goodness, Sheri. I don't understand much of the technogical things about which you write, but I can't relate to feeling bad from using my computer. It is my window on the world, lets me work, communicatae, research, be an activist and genealogist---all good stuff. I've been using computers since I went to work for IBM in 1978, and the worst it has given me is a stiff neck and back.

I hope you are talking to a pdoc about your fear of technology, because I cannot relate to it. I fear the evil in humankind, myself.

Good luck with finding some way to make peace with technology. I hope someone else can make some helpful comments about this.
Go to Top of Page

area24

253 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  17:15:05  Show Profile  Visit area24's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
The world is not coming to an end in 2012 and we are not
going to run out of oil anytime soon. Peak oil just means consumption
exceeds production. By the time we do run out of oil in 2035 whenever
we will be producing our own from bacteria or algae. We can do
it now but it is not cost effective. Solar and hydrogen will be well
established so we won't need to produce that much oil.

Climate change is caused partially by the burning of fossil fuels
exceeding the ability of the earth to throw it off. Kind of
like our immune systems when it comes to cleaning out
toxic chemicals and heavy metals from the cells, liver etc.

Sheri, hope things are working out for you.
Go to Top of Page

Hoppy

441 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  15:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
The fear I have is that they will kill me with these weapons, before I get into my career, before I see Alec in an apartment, and Beth married and in a career and winning the fight with CF.

Thanks for the exchange in this thread.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

juniperbelle

62 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  16:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Good thoughts, Area24. I love the thought of algae fueling my car and heating my house!

Sheri, all we can do as citizens is fight, fight, fight with our congressional representatives for replacement of polluting oil, gas, and coal with searching for alternative and renewable energy sources. I sign every environmental petition I can on the subject (plus many others), and I am as active as I can be in politics, working to elect reasonable senators and representatives who are future minded and not influenced by Big Oil.

I especially fight against people like Bush and Chaney, who are totally owned by Big Oil. They have NO concept of saving our planet but want to use everything up and leave nothing for the rest of us. I especially despise so-called Christians who make war, kill, and destroy. Jesus would never do that, in my understanding of the faith.

Get busy doing what you can do to help the situation. Easy to say, because I'm scared and worried, too. Being active helps me cope with the worry and fuels my passion in the work.

I never brought up this topic to frighten anyone, but to share my thoughts and perhaps move others with similar thoughts to action. Being active helps me cope with my depression and despair, and I thought this topic might be bothering others.

I hope you are seeing a pdoc who can help you with the right medication (if necessary) and therapy. Hugs to you. Paula

See? You moved me to even "come out" for you. :)
Go to Top of Page

Hoppy

441 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  05:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Juniper, That's great that you are so involved and passionate about your involvement, its good to break apart that apathy out there and really get in on things.

I have worked hard in the past to ban space weapons, and I still am involved in certain groups, but when no one believes you, it gets very discouraging, plus I don't want to take time away from the kids, don't want to get too angry and cause heart problems, things like this.

Keep fighting the good fight,
Sheri
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 27738
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0