New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts
Gratitude: 593
Very caringVery wiseI agree

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  21:29:26  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Dear Members,

Our community was established to help individuals with Bipolar Disorder. Unfortunately, this illness often impairs a person's ability to handle rejection. Our members have much to share, but often rejection will cause them to leave our community and return to their seclusion.

Sometimes illness makes our members very irritable and critical of others. They have to be protected from themselves; otherwise their irritability will cause them to be rejected by other community members.

Thus I am asking your cooperation in implementing a new policy.

In order to keep our community supportive and therapeutic; I am asking that no member post a personal criticism or attack directed at another member. Any such references will be deleted from a post by our administrative staff.

There will be no public criticism made of the "attacking" member. We all know that, were it not for illness, this "attack" would not have happened.

The purpose of this policy is to protect members from personal attack, and to protect the "attacking" member from their own anger.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator
Go to Top of Page

michael64
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1551 Posts
Gratitude: 346
Very caring

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  21:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Thank you very very much.

Im no good with words so I will keep it short. this is the best news I have heard all week. this will be such a big help. your a good man and a wise man.

thank you.
thank you very much.
Go to Top of Page

SheerLin
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

3918 Posts
Gratitude: 201

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  03:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Thankyou Dr. Phil,
I am glad about that. I have had it happen to me in the past. Thanks again.

SheerLin

`Life is a Wonderous Journey, not a Destination.
Go to Top of Page

aquamarine

1238 Posts
Gratitude: 300
Very caring

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  16:20:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Thank you. That makes me feel safer here.
...Aqua
Go to Top of Page

stigmastomper (inactive)
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

24317 Posts
Gratitude: 1940
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  08:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
dr.long
i think you and the mods ,maybe ,and us to a lesser extent if you could show us how.

theres another way people can gang up on another member ,and that is to manipulate that members weaknesses or those of another by pretending to be a members freind and "giving" advice. as a means to hurt another member or that person and or both. to do so is insidious and such behaviour has no place in a community such as ours.
my opinion is that you should come down hard on such behaviour ,should you see it to exist.

and if you had to boot half the site to get the point across
that would be justified should you see such behaviour.

also the problem of people using multiple id's to hurt others ,and multiple internet providers to enable them to torment members,staff,
i think could be solved by speech recognion software. to be sure people understand , a computer program that recognizes the flow ,structure,type of speech and other intrinsic behaviours unique to an individual. and alerts staff to the presence of a banned member,
and such software could also provide evidence to the authorities
should that become neccessary. BANNED members should stay banned unless you say otherwise. so that they cannot hurt ,disrupt our community as well as its members or any individual member.

i also do not understand the points system all should be equal
everyones posts should be treated and regarded with equal consideration. the tally along side our posts that says how many we have done seem like those with the most posts are television shows that get the greatest viewer response its like the nielson ratings ,someone told me that new members and others read how many posts i do and on that basis choose to read mine as oppossed to someone elses same holds true of others posts. i couldnt care less about how many posts i have. the things people will attack other members because of seems unending. now that im writing this i think i remember you or someone else saying that we can choose to make our number of posts we have done invisible to other members ,if so ,how can i do this.thank you for your time

Hi Stigmastomper,

Re: Members Giving Advice Too Quickly

Like you, I worry about members quickly jumping in to give advice to new members before they have taken the time to adequately understand the new members problem.

This is very much like the "Dr. Laura" radio show where that psychologist would tell the caller to "Get rid of that guy" after listening to the caller for only 2 minutes.

It's so easy to quickly give advice. However, it takes time and effort to get to understand another member. I think this is the difference between a helpful member, and an unhelpful member.

The helpful member will take time to find out how the new member feels, then will give examples from their own life that might be helpful to the new member.

The unhelpful member just barges in with quick advice; then seems upset that the new member doesn't immediately follow this advice.

Re: Members With Multiple Identities

Mark and I don't know how big of a problem this is in our community. It may exist. I will ask Mark about better ways to monitor our members IP addresses when they login. Obviously, if 2 members login on any day with the same IP address, it would seem suspicious. However, some mental health facilities share a single computer, so conceivably two of our members at that facility could be sharing one computer.

Re: Ethical Infractions

I think the easiest way to prevent abuses (e.g., multiple identities, members being "ganged up on", etc.) would be to strictly enforce our code of ethics.

Members should always be respected and feel that they are genuinely cared for in this community. That is why it is important that we continue to clarify what we want in our new code of ethics, then publish it for the entire community to follow.

If members then violate our code of ethics, the other members should notify the administrator so that offending member will have their ethics violation cited. A very few members may continue to repeatedly violate our code of ethics; and they will politely be asked to leave.

Re: Showing The Number Of Posts

Stigmastomper, that is an interesting question. I will use our new "Opinion Poll" forum to survey opinion on whether we should show a member's number of posts.

An alternative would be to show how often a member's posts have been rated "very wise" + "very caring" + "very honest" + "I agree" (as a "gratitude score"). Would that be a better "statistic" than "number of posts"? Or should we show both: "number of posts" + "gratitude score"? Or forget this whole "keeping score" thing entirely?

Keep your good suggestions coming Stigmastomper!

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

michael64

1551 Posts
Gratitude: 346
Very caring

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  09:50:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
3 strikes and your out..bottom line.

no Im sorry or I was not thinking before I said that.

I almost had a psychic girlfriend
but she left me before we met
Go to Top of Page

stigmastomper (inactive)

24317 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  12:54:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
DR.LONG ,
just so im clear as other people will read this.
it doesent bother me if a member,uses more than one id "if" they were to do so because they wanted to say things that they do not want to have their regular persona,associated with,that would be only the case if it was self theraputic, the problem is when multiple id's are used to be malicious, and to aide felonius activity. as has happened elsewhere on the net.

a proffessional bad guy or girl will use multiple i'ds to obtain personal information to then do bad things with.

i'm a little more experienced on the net now so i feel safe .

as for my faults i'm very protective of my freinds ,other people,
and i dont have a barn or store to take care of anymore. so here iam
and i know how iam about protecting people with disabilities and abused women, so i have to constrain myself here so i dont get into
trouble. but i dont want to fight anymore never did ,im passive
and am no longer in a dysfunctional enviroment.
being here on mytherapy has helped me greatly.
i worry alot about hurting others ,somehow.
is there a link on the site or tools to help us learn to be better advocates for ourselves, and how to deal with baises of a theraputic,bueracratic,political etc nature. i made mistakes at that program.i was at but thats because they had me over a barrel
because i wasnt as good an advocate for myself as i thought as the fight was in getting to go to this program/community. not what to do when i got there

Great idea Stigmastomper,

I will try to start a discussion on "how to assist in your own and other members' recovery". In this discussion, I will try to give pointers on exactly those issues you raised.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

stigmastomper (inactive)

24317 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  13:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

i would trash the whole points thing and gratitude rating,
thats just my lowly opinion.

and i dont know if you have a policy in place , but if someone wants to use say two i'd's for a personal reason say to feel safe divulging personal experiences under a different screen name, maybe they could ask your permission
Go to Top of Page

stigmastomper (inactive)

24317 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  10:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
i admit it ,i gave joy all the votes etc for saying i rule
Go to Top of Page

Lost girl

1360 Posts
Gratitude: 401
Very caring

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  17:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Dr Long and Everyone!

Re: Personal Attacks & Code of Ethics

I agree completely with Michael64. Three strikes you are BANNED.

My interpretation of "Strikes" is:

1. Written REPRIMAND to the offending member, explaining why they are being reprimanded (Reference to MT code of Ethics) asking they review what was said, and apologize to the offended member thus rectifying the issue. Time limit: 2 days

2.Written WARNING to the Member if: the issue is NOT resolved in a reasonable amount of time (ie; 2 days). OR the offending member has made no effort to apologize and restore harmony. OR created FURTHER disruption & chaos to the site, involving MORE members than the original complaint.

In this letter the Member would be WARNED that they will be banned from the site in 3 days if ALL noted issues are not resolved.

3. Member is Banned within 24 hours of WARNING letter,if no positive action has been taken by the offending member.

*****3 STRIKES YOU ARE BANNED FROM MY THERAPY ***********
***********END of ISSUES, END of STORY**********

Thoughts?

Sincerely,
Lost girl

LOST GIRL
This too shall pass. Always walk on the sunny side of the street!
Embrace nature with all your senses. Remember an act of kindness. Be mindful of bridges you burn behind you...

I agree Lost Girl,

We should have this progressive, step-by-step, way of warning any member personally attacking another member.

It all should start with someone clicking the "Notify Administrator" button to tell our staff that there has been an uncalled for personal attack.

Our support community should be the last place on the internet that a person is personally attacked.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

lynn2150

21329 Posts
Gratitude: 2146

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  06:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Oh no, not THAT button, (smile)
Dr. Laura, Brings back memories Dr. Long, and crew, I used to listen to her faithfully.
Within 3 months, I was SINGLE, and ready to move into a Convent. LOL
Meanwhile, She's had her share of naughty times, but, lets not go there.
Got to give her an A for I don't know what word, "entertainment".
She used to come out with some very rash things.
OK, that's my rant on Dr, Laura,
Man, I hope she doesn't google this,
"he just wants a w-t place to put it". OMG, that was one of her sayings.
Oye Vey. Shalom !
(what ever that means)
Please delete this if it's too much.
Thanks, Lynn
Go to Top of Page

sunishower
Full Member (100+ posts)

129 Posts
Gratitude: 45

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  10:55:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
This should be a community of support, not slander of negative criticism. We all get edgy, but lets not take it out on others. If someone here bothers you, just ignore them. Isn't there an ignore button??? Lets face it, we do have tendencies to get rude and obnoxious... but there are others way to deal with it rather than against other members. Basically, I vote not to be write harmful things about other members of this community, even you do think they "deserve" it. (which they don't)

3 strikes sounds good me

Sunishower
Go to Top of Page

Meadhbh

4514 Posts
Gratitude: 570
Very caringVery wiseVery honest

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  14:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Dr. Long,

I would like to refer you to My Jesus My Savior's Topic called Evil is as Evil Does in the Bipolar General Discussion section. In it he attacks pretty much all members of our forum by threatening God's judgement, and pasting huge segments of the bible to back up his position. Davidt and I both answered him. I used the apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians to refute him, and also suggested that if he can't deal with differences of opinion, he find a Christian forum for bipolar disorder. I'm sure they exist. But I find his post very inciting and it could trigger some people into an episode. Please read his post as soon as possible to see what you think.

Meadhbh (Mave)

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Philippians 4:8

I agree Mave,

I have banned MJMS from our communities.

http://www.mytherapy.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11833

I am sorry that MJMS didn't listen to the many warnings that our members previously gave him about his using our website to convert others to his religious faith.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

Lost girl

1360 Posts
Gratitude: 401
Very caring

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  07:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Dr. Long!

Thank you for listening to the Members, and responding by DELETING his offensive posts and BANNING MJMS.

I see, this morning under the CURRENTLY CONNECTED section he is LOGGING in as "OLD MJMS". Would you please monitor this? It seems he is determined to stay active within our MY Therapy communities.

Once again, thank you!

Sincerely,
Lost girl

LOST GIRL
This too shall pass. Forgive me if I stumble..

In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.
-- Albert Einstein

Thanks Lost Girl,

MJMS is banned; hence he is not allowed to return under a new identity.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

Meadhbh

4514 Posts
Gratitude: 570
Very caringVery wiseVery honest

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  09:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Thank you Dr. Long. I appreciate the way you keep this a safe place for the members.

Meadhbh (Mave)

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Philippians 4:8
Go to Top of Page

harleystreetpsycho
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  09:22:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
this post is very funny

http://www.harleystreet-psychotherapist.co.uk

harleystreet psychotherapist
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To: