Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

RedStar
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

4843 Posts
Gratitude: 657
Very caringVery wiseVery honest

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  14:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
This is a place for GLBT people with bipolar disorder to connect. Friends and allies are very welcome, too.

If you cannot be supportive, please do not post.

"We don't see things as they are. We see them as we are. " Anais Nin

Dear Members,

Our community supports freedom of speech and supports civil rights. I personally believe that Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered members should enjoy the same rights as other members of our community.

Thus I support the establishment of this special forum for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgendered members.

I would ask that the discussion remain relevant to our community's main focus, that of helping each other deal with Bipolar Disorder. (This is a very polite way of saying that this forum shouldn't primarily be used to argue the merits of any particular sexual orientation or practice).

One of my loved ones is a lesbian, and this never is an issue. The important thing in life is to accept who we are; then get on with helping others.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

davidt
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

82944 Posts
Gratitude: 2519
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  14:34:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
It is good to talk!

Hi J.

Congratulations! I am delighted that you have provided a slot for those of us who are somewhat different in our sexuality. Maybe just maybe, someone out there will identify with being different also, and share , that which they feel comfortable with. Remember this, if you use a nickname your anonymity will be upheld.

So come and interact with us. You don't have to be Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgendered . Respect, for one and other, is all that is asked. And as RS points out, if you are in any way offended by this thread, there is no need to return to this topic.

Mental Illness blights our lives, and there are people out there who feel they have an extra burden, in that they are different in some way to the Heterosexual population. If coming to terms with their sexuality in a safe environment might liberate them more.....Why not?

Best Regards, David

Be the person not the disability!
Go to Top of Page

e-pea

5919 Posts
Gratitude: 1064

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  14:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I personally think this should be a sticky or something. This is especially important for new members or quieter members who may belong to the GLBT community and may feel reassured to know we at mytherapy are supportive of everyone equally and that there are many different kinds of support systems interlaced in here to meet everyone's needs.

I think there should be a whole area on relationships too.. that include GLBT issues and women's issues and all kinds of things.

I am not gay so I am posting to give support.

Go to Top of Page

davidt

82944 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  15:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Pea, I and I'm sure RedStar, will be glad of your endorsement of this topic .And like you say , there are many other deserving relationship issues to be explored. You've always maintained tolerance, and compassion for worthwhile issues. Love, David

Here is something I wrote sometime back of a personal nature.

Who am I
By David Tomkinson

I am a gay man. I am convinced my homosexuality is an integral part of my genetic make up. And therefore a natural state, profound and involuntary. I do not see it as as a condition that can easily be distilled into a a few simple references. More as a constellation of feeling and non feeling emotions,thrown together in many combinations.

For many years my conceptual self informed me that being gay was wrong; more than that, sinful. I also perceived it as a mental illness, and if treated I would be 'cured'. I suspect that these beliefs emanated from the religion I was brought up with and endorsed by the Bible no less.

With the advent of AIDS a more secular society joined in, compounding matters by labeling it the 'Gay Plague'. A grave misconception indeed to think that only people who happen to be different from the so called norm would be subjected to the HIV virus. What a stupid assumption to make, and by definition very dangerous.

All these years later I no longer feel the need to justify the way I was made. I now see my homosexuality as valid as heterosexuality. The fact that I belong to a large minority does not disqualify me from membership of the human race. I am the product of my whole self, no less, and no longer wish to compromise same in order to conform to society's' expectations of me..

To suppress my sexual orientation further would mean continuing a life fragmented..... a dysfunctional human being holding tight to what little I am... in Universal terms... unable to celebrate my individuality. August 2001

Be the person not the disability!
Go to Top of Page

stigmastomper (inactive)

24317 Posts
Gratitude: 1940

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  18:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

different strokes for different folks . nothing wrong with that.

stigmarules@mail.com
Go to Top of Page

Meadhbh

4514 Posts
Gratitude: 570

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  19:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I'm glad you have an organization for support.

Meadhbh (Mave)

You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. - Madame Marie Curie (1867-1934)
Go to Top of Page

aquamarine
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1238 Posts
Gratitude: 300
Very caring

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  20:12:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Redstar,
I am glad you posted this. I am sure there are many people on this board feeling the need for support in their GLBT relationships while they are trying to manage their bipolar symptoms. All of us are affected in someway by the people we live with and love and this should be a safe place for all to feel safe talking about those issues. Thanks for bringing it up.
...Aqua
Go to Top of Page

RedStar

4843 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  22:07:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
The idea for this kind of thread was David's. I just figured out how to make the first post clear but succinct.

e-pea, I think your idea is excellent. Everyone, please check the Improving our Community category for input on this idea. I've started a thread there on this topic.

Go to Top of Page

Ferengi (inactive)

3264 Posts
Gratitude: 332
Very wiseVery honest

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  16:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I am gay you know that, and you probably know that I would not be alive now without my beautiful girlfriend.

Ferengi
Go to Top of Page

chevy

2329 Posts
Gratitude: 96

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  20:58:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
You guys are gonna think im slow lol but What does GLBT stand for?

"I hope you know, I hope you know that this has nothing to do with you. It's personal, Myself and I We've got some straightenin' out to do And I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket
But Ive got to get a move on with my life
Its time to be a big girl now And big girls don't cry
Don't cry"!

Go to Top of Page

stigmastomper (inactive)

24317 Posts
Gratitude: 1940

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  04:33:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
i think it means gay lesbian,bisexual, and trans gender, which i think means people who feel they are the opposite sex and those who feel similarly, who have had a sex change operation. but i could be wrong.

ive been reading about such things as my mother told me that she had points and i could get free mmagizines , well i got time,news week,us news and global report. and a glbt magazine by accident
its called the advocate . i thought it was about legal stuff.
but anyway i've been learning alot about lgbt communities, psychology civil rights etc. good magizine even if your not gblt.
besides theres pretty women in there to lol

stigmarules@mail.com
Go to Top of Page

Ferengi (inactive)

3264 Posts
Very wiseVery honest

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  08:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Us bisexuals are beautiful. You should see my girlfriend. She came over this morning and lay down with me and I felt so much better that she was there. I don't even think I'd be alive now if she was not in my life. I love her so much.

Ferengi
Go to Top of Page

davidt

82944 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  18:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

A Quote from Wikipedia......

Bisexuality is the sexual orientation which refers to the aesthetic, romantic, or sexual desire for individuals of either gender or of either sex.

Although observed in a variety of forms in human societies and in the animal kingdom throughout recorded history, the term "bisexuality" was only coined in the 19th century.

Bisexual orientation includes all the territory between the two extremes of homosexuality and heterosexuality. Bisexual people are not necessarily attracted equally to both genders. Moreover, it is possible for a bisexual person to be attracted to all genders but only one sex, or to all sexes but only one gender (note the definition of gender as social/psychological category, distinct from biological sex). Apart from sexual preference, some bisexual people describe their attraction as being based on personality or other characteristics rather than gender. Another view of bisexuality is that homosexuality and heterosexuality are two monosexual orientations, whereas bisexuality encompasses them both. However, some argue that bisexuality is a distinct sexual orientation on a par with heterosexuality or homosexuality.[1]

Bisexuality is often misunderstood as a form of adultery or polyamory, and a popular misconception is that bisexuals must always be in relationships with men and women simultaneously. Rather, individuals attracted to both males and females, like people of any other orientation, may live a variety of sexual lifestyles. These include: lifelong monogamy, serial monogamy, polyamory, polyfidelity, casual sexual activity with individual partners, casual group sex, and celibacy. For those with more than one sexual partner, these may or may not all be of the same gender.

Some people who might be classified by others as bisexual on the basis of their sexual behavior self-identify as gay, lesbian, or straight -- for example, a bisexual woman who considers herself a lesbian may do so on the basis that a lesbian might be defined as any woman who is attracted to women (even one who is also attracted to men), or a woman who is primarily attracted to other women. Likewise some men may identify as heterosexual because the only activities they engage in with other men do not involve anal sex (or more commonly, do not involve being the bottom in anal sex).[citation needed] This kind of ambiguity is problematic because some people maintain that exclusivity is part of the definitions for monosexual orientations, others feel that only one's current situation is what matters (if one is in a heterosexual marriage, they are straight), and still other groups prefer to say that bisexuality is non-existent and a bisexual person's heterosexual feelings are merely the result of internalized homophobia.[citation needed] Other bisexuals consider themselves distinct from homosexuals but part of the larger LGBT or queer community. Some people who engage in bisexual behavior may be supportive of lesbian and gay people, but still self-identify as straight, and still others consider any labels irrelevant to their positions and situations.

Live and Let Live!
Go to Top of Page

RedStar

4843 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  04:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
You know, valitsaki, your husband can be a friend, and not a lover. If you can, an amicable divorce may be the thing to do. If a divorce is not possible, do research on how to ethically have an open marriage. To have to deny something as huge as sexual orientation can destroy the soul, just as if one denies their own race, their own gender, their own intelligence, their own self.

To have sex with your husband unwillingly is more destructive to the both of you than coming to some other arrangement of how you'll express your sexual needs.

A long time ago, I was married for four years. I, too, assigned my desires to being bisexual. But the fact of the matter was and is that I am lesbian. Staying in that marriage was wrong and unfair for both of us.

So many GLBT people deny their orientation even to themselves and never know why they don't like or want to be sexually intimate. It is usually a struggle to accept being lesbian and an even bigger struggle to be proud of it, but the pain is definitely worth the reward.

Hugs to you, valitsaki, whatever your sexual orientation.

Go to Top of Page

Ferengi (inactive)

3264 Posts
Very wiseVery honest

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  07:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Vali

I think she's right. You know I am both and used to it, but you are still young.

Ferengi
Go to Top of Page

toligario
Full Member (100+ posts)

217 Posts
Gratitude: 39

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  08:01:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I am sorry for sounding so stupid but what is glbt ?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 27737
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0