Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

libertyeconomics
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  18:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I have had situational depression, which my doctor managed to morph into something other than situational depression, to suggest that I absolutely had to be on psych medications.

About one year ago, I put myself at the mercy of psychiatrists and agreed to start taking an antidepressant, i.e., Zoloft. Before I began taking the antidepressant, my thyroid levels were all normal. Shortly after I began taking the antidepressant, my thyroid shifted to a hypothyroid state, with my TSH rising up to about 8. I was then diagnosed with "hypothyroidism."

After I went off the antidepressant for a while in the beginning of 2006, my TSH dropped back down to normal without thyroid medication. I then went back on an antidepressant again in the spring of 2006 - that time on Celexa. At first the medication did relieve feelings of depression. But as the weeks turned into months, I began to feel really bad.

Almost two months ago, I stopped taking the Celexa, feeling almost instant relief, and then I went in to ask my doctor to check my thyroid levels. My TSH was way up at 13.87 - I was back into a hypothyroid state. I was then prescribed synthroid, which I didn't receive in the mail until just today. However, being several weeks out from when I was on Celexa, just three days ago, I had my TSH level checked again, and it was back to normal at 1.99 without having taken any thyroid medication.

So, before I started antidepressants, my thyroid levels were fine. After starting antidepressants, my thyroid went into a hypothyroid state. After stopping the antidepressants, my hypothyroidism went into remission. While that isn't empirical evidence of a causal relationship, it is certainly a preponderance of antecdotal evidence pointing towards the medication having precipitated a hypothyroid state.

This would certainly explain why I felt like I was getting worse on the medication. Hypothyroidism itself can cause depression. I wonder how many people go on medication, end up with hypothyroidism, get even worse depression, and are then told that the worse depression is the effect of some underlying "mental illness," and are then given prescriptions for even higher doses.

If you are on antidepressants, I strongly suggest you get your thyroid levels checked.
Go to Top of Page

parnateite
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  13:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi,

I'm so glad to have read your post because I have experienced similar symptoms. I made an appointment with my doctor today because I am starting to get very concerned about them.

I've been on Parnate for about five years now. It's an MAOI, and when my doctor from five years ago prescribed the drug, he also told me I needed to have my thyroid levels checked. He had diagnosed me with BiPolar II disorder (I later found out at Johns Hopkins Hospital that I only have an anxiety disorder). Anyway, he said that people who have BiPolar II often have thyroid problems. So I had my thyroid checked and it was healthy.

That doctor told me he was going to put my on synthroid anyway, just in case.

He also had me on a lot of other drugs I did not need, like Zyprexa, Topomax, Ambien. I was only 23 at the time.

My body is typically very sensitive to medication, so I experienced major side effects from the various drugs. Coping with the news that I had a disorder that I didn't really have is a whole other story.

By the end of that year, I had stopped seeing that doctor (due to what he called noncompliance -- I didn't want to take drugs that made me black out at night like ambien, or drugs that made my skin break out like lamictal or geodon), and I saw a new one who knew immediately that she needed to get me off all those drugs. So she sent me to Johns Hopkins for six days, and I had to deal with staying in a psychiatric ward for mood disorders when I didn't even have one.

They sent me home after getting me off all the medications. I had to miss all my friend's college graduation parties and deal with a new stigma (in the hospital, we were advised to never discuss the fact that we were in there -- I lost a boyfriend who didn't understand why I was in there and who couldn't handle the stigma of it).

I've had an awful time trying to get off Parnate completely, mainly due to the anxiety of withdrawal. But I decreased my dose by half, so now I only take thirty milligrams per day. I have noticed that my cold intolerance is not as bad as it used to be when I was taking 60. At one point, the doctor who prescribed the MAOI had me on Wellbutrin and was telling me that I could take up to 80-90 milligrams of Parnate if I wanted to. I'm surprised he didn't end up killing me.

In the past three years, I've been feeling all the symptoms I just found listed for hypothyroidism, but I didn't know that was what it was. I developed a bit of a phobia of doctors after my hospital experience and my experience with the one who prescribed all that unnecessary medicine. I eventually got over that, but couldn't afford to see one for my new physical side effects. Plus, I didn't think they were bad enough that I had to see one.

I couldn't afford to see one because I was living off of a freelance writer and fact-checker's salary in New York City -- I moved there shortly after leaving the hospital and interned at several magazines, not to mention reporting for an international wire service. I'm also a nationally published humor writer now and an editor of medical journals. Pretty brave moves for someone who supposedly has BiPolar II disorder, I think.

But I digress. In the time that I have been on this MAOI, I have been more lethargic, experienced all kinds of muscle aches and pains (I was home from work for several days once due to costachondritis), have had extreme cold intolerance, have been more irritable, have had hormonal imbalances (I bleed mid-month, every month), have had leg swelling (I sometimes sleep with my knees up in the air), and have some unexplained pain in my right side that comes and goes.

I just got health insurance for the first time in three years and will have my new doctor figure out what my side pain is shortly. It seems to be getting progressively worse. That is the worst of the side effects. Of course, it could be something else completely, but my boyfriend is convinced it has something to do with this MAOI that I can't seem to get off of.

I just never knew before that I also had the symptoms of hypothyroidism. But during the times that I have decreased my dosage of the MAOI, and almost accomplished complete withdrawal, my hypothyroid-like symptoms disappeared. I was much more ruddy, energized, calm, muscle-ache free, and acted like the healthy 28-year old that I am.

I really need to get off this drug. But what to do for the anxiety disorder? Maybe cognitive therapy. Either way, I can't let a drug that was misdiagnosed cause this much annoying pain in my life anymore.

Go to Top of Page

kels
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  02:39:35  Show Profile  Visit kels's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi, I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in 2004. I have been taking Eltroxin 15mg daily, my thyroid levels are fine.(had them tested 10 days ago.) I have been diagnosed as "depressed" was put on Ciprolex 50mg daily (Oct 2006), helped imediately with the anxiety and i gradually felt better then after 6 mths atarted to feel low again. Was put on Lamictil 50mg daily - initial dose 25mg for two weeks, just started taking 50mg two days now. I've been in an extremely agitated and irritated mood for the past 2 to 3 weeks, so I'm hoping the Lamictil starts working. So, I had hypothyroidism before started on other meds, but have been told that some symtoms of depression could be masked by symtoms of hypothyroidism??? Guess that means they both make you feel crappy! Any way been wondering what exactly is wrong with me...
Go to Top of Page

tuppermare
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  23:10:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I wish I could trust that my psych knows EXACTLY what the problem is and what the BEST medication is, it seems like there are so many drugs to choose from and I am becoming skeptical of all the prescriptions that I'm reading about and what's been prescribed and diagnosed for me. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 20, I'm 43 now; I've been on Synthroid for that(and the generic brand of synthroid since then), no real issues with that. I didn't know that the thyroid and depression are linked until reading the posts here (thank you!). I started taking Celexa about 7 years ago, for what I was told was Obsessive Compulsive Behavior. I used to have mood swings, and become so angry (irrationally so!), and the celexa really helped that, and I haven't had any issues with it. I moved and am seeing another psyhiatrist who now has me on Lamectil, saying that I have bipolar disorder, remember I did have mood swings, and is weening me off of Celexa (I was on 60 grams, quite happily, then 40, now 20. But this week I have been so angry and impatient, really short tempered and it feels awful (examples: the hostess at a restaurant didn't give us menus, we sat there for 2 minutes, and I stormed up to the poor hostess demanding really vehemntly for menus!! another expample, dealing with Cell Phone support people, getting the run-around, getting forwarded to "another department," I know that's frustrating for EVERYONE, but I became this lunatic demanding to speak to supervisors and yelling that I am "switching carriers!!" Haha! What I was probably unconsciously screaming was, "I am 'switching medications!! Do something about it!!" haha
I'm acutally not trying to make light of the situtations, because in all honestly I am very frightened of the meds, the diagnoses, and the reprucussions of it all. I desperately want to get back on my Celexa, but my psych told me that it's not doing anything because I have been taking it for so long, that I have probably built up a tolerance for it? Have any of you heard of that before?
Go to Top of Page

Truthteller
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2015 :  16:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Many patients who are initially treated for depression may have an undiagnosed thyroid disorder:

Your Thyroid May Be Talking, but Is the Doctor Listening?
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/06/25/health/your-thyroid-may-be-talking-but-is-the-doctor-listening.html

"SOME 13 million Americans suffer from thyroid disorders, most of them women, including Barbara Bush, Tipper Gore and the Olympic track star Gail Devers. But more than half don't know it.

Thyroid disorders, experts say, are among the most undiagnosed and misdiagnosed problems in the United States. Doctors generally don't examine the thyroid. Disorders come on slowly, and the symptoms can be ambiguous."

This website has a lot of good information about thyroid disorder including nutritional deficiencies that affect the thyroid:

hypothyroidmom.com/10-nutrient-deficiencies-every-thyroid-patient-should-have-checked/

Also see information about diagnosis:

Why A TSH Level Isn’t Enough To Understand Your Thyroid Condition
http://hypothyroidmom.com/why-a-tsh-level-isnt-enough-to-understand-your-thyroid-condition/
Go to Top of Page

KobyDutton
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2020 :  23:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Depression we all know is of many types and on this medium people are consulting with doctors. Throughout the whole phenomenon https://assignmentman.co.uk/professional-report-writing-team-to-help-you/ this link is helping everyone for giving suggestions regarding the depression.
Go to Top of Page

followersaustralia
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2020 :  02:42:23  Show Profile  Visit followersaustralia's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Information & facts about bipolar disorder, causes, treatments, bipolar self-test and ... Copyright · Privacy · News · Terms of use · Subscribe · Community portal.https://buyfollowersaustralia.com.

buyinstagram Buyinstagramfollowersaustralia followersaustralia
Go to Top of Page

followersaustralia
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2020 :  02:45:42  Show Profile  Visit followersaustralia's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Bipolar disorder is a mood disorder which affects 1 in 50 adult Australians each year. People with bipolar disorder can have extreme moods of feeling really high ...
http://buyfollowersitaly.com/

Go to Top of Page

followersuk
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2020 :  09:01:29  Show Profile  Visit followersuk's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Think your gas and electricity bills are too high? ... Trying to calculate the average cost of an energy bill per month can be tricky, not least because there ... Between 1 July 2019 and 31 December 2019, at least 10% of people who switched energy supplier for ... 1 or 2 bedroom house/flat, £66, £199, £795, Compare Suppliers.
by http://followersuk.co.uk/

UK Based Service, Buy Instagram Followers UK Get FREE likes! Secure Payments via PayPal, Instant Delivery and 24 7 Support, Trusted By Celebrities!
Go to Top of Page

followersuk
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2020 :  09:04:35  Show Profile  Visit followersuk's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
The average cost of your electricity and gas bill also varies ... Small house/flat – One or two bedrooms ... For a small family (3-4 people) living in a medium-sized house, the average monthly utility bill is £66, with an annual bill of ... Using 12,500kWh of gas per year, and 3,100kWh of electricity. For a ... by https://buyfollowerscanada.com/

UK Based Service, Buy Instagram Followers UK Get FREE likes! Secure Payments via PayPal, Instant Delivery and 24 7 Support, Trusted By Celebrities!
Go to Top of Page

fk1
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2020 :  00:19:03  Show Profile  Visit fk1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Learn more about mood disorders from experts at Cleveland Clinic. Find out about their causes, symptoms, and the most common mood ... by buy https://followersuk.uk/
Go to Top of Page

fk1
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2020 :  00:24:48  Show Profile  Visit fk1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Overview of Mood Disorders - Learn about the causes, symptoms, diagnosis & treatment from the MSD Manuals - Medical Consumer Version. by http://epicfollowers.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

fk1
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2020 :  00:29:29  Show Profile  Visit fk1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Most people feel sad or irritable from time to time. They may say they're in a bad mood. A mood disorder is different. It affects a person's ... BY http://buyactivefollowersuk.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2020 :  01:06:56  Show Profile  Visit upp's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
urdu poetry
Android Republic offer only the most advanced and exclusive android mods. Our main focus is to develop secure mods by analyzing game security to deliver the most secure mods possible. by https://kasuripoetryurdu.blogspot.com/

urdu poetry
Go to Top of Page

scc
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2020 :  01:08:58  Show Profile  Visit scc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Sonhar com cobra
Mood disorder, also known as mood affective disorders, is a group of conditions where a disturbance in the person's mood is the main underlying feature. by https://wethinkbetter.com/
 Sonhar com cobra
Go to Top of Page

followersaustralia
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2020 :  10:49:16  Show Profile  Visit followersaustralia's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
urdu poetry
Depression is a constant feeling of sadness and loss of interest, which stops you doing your normal activities. Different types of depression exist ...[url=https://www.romanticurdupoetry.com/2020/06/suno-ankhnao-ka-pass-nahi-ho-love.html]UrduPoetry [/url]

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 27737
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0