Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

aquamarine
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1238 Posts
Gratitude: 300
Very caring

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  13:06:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
My pdoc has just added Gabapentin to my mix of Epival and Dexedrine. I asked him about the studies showing it was no beter than placebo (I asked him twice) and he says the studies did show that, but that he has seen it help people, where he is certain it is not a placebo effect.

The reason he is trying it with me is that he says the side effect profile is less than the older anti-convulsants and we are hoping I can get the mood stabilization effects without the cognitive and dissociative/depersonalization effects I am having on a high dose of Epival.

I will keep you informed about whether it helps. Does anyone else have experience with this med? If so Is it helping?
Thanks,
...Aqua
Go to Top of Page

wlscott99
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  18:35:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Aqua,

I've been using Gabapentin for about 6 months - ever since my Rheumatologist prescribed it to treat nerve pain associated with my fibromyalgia. It has had a very low (ie no) side effects for me.

I'm on a *****tail of lithium and lamictal. Too much lamictal gives rise to side effects like pernament headaches, memory problems and balance problems - so we are using low dose of lithium to fill in the gaps. I'm a fairly rapid cycler (every few weeks) and the lamictal has been helpfull in that regard.

Regards your use of Gabapentin as mood stablizer - good luck - it didn't seem to help my bopolar but it works great on my nerve pain.

Scotty
Go to Top of Page

aquamarine
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1238 Posts
Gratitude: 300
Very caring

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  19:32:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Scotty,
Thanks for the response. I took lamotrigine and fell and broke both my elbows...I think due to both balance problems and maybe I was a bit hypomanic...ouch! Then while they were broken I fell off a sidewalk...right onto them again. I was falling all the time on that med. so be careful!

I was on Epival and Gabapentin, but my pdoc has taken me off the Epival to see if it is causing me to gain weight (I don't think so because when I was on 1000mgs I lost 9 lbs...so don't see why I would gain weight on 500mgs)

I think the weight gain culprit is the gabapentin...I feel hungry all the time and for all the foods I NEVER used to eat...like bread and icecream, and cake etc. Do you notice this side effect?

The other thing it could be is that I discontinued dexedrine too...but before the dexedrine I was not eating like crazy.

I'd be interested to hear from you about this.
Thanks,
Aqua
Go to Top of Page

cre8ivlass
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  05:47:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I was diagnosed with Bipolar Type II in December of '04 and have been taking 300mg of Gabapentin (Neurontin) since then. I have found the medication to be very helpful. Initially I told my psychiatrist that I knew I would be very unhappy with a medication that would make me gain weight, and luckily with this med I've not gained weight. This diagnosis came after 14 years of being misdiagnosed for recurrent depression, and I am still taking Paxil, which we are beginning to taper off of. I also keep Klonopin on hand for the occasional bout of anxiety. The primary key for me has been to get enough sleep! The second key has been in regularly seeing my psychotherapist who helps me sort out my various emotional issues. And the third key has been to eat nutritiously (and not overeat) and exercise. I also keep a mood diary. I've recently been reading some of the material written by Patty Duke, who has suffered with Bipolar Disorder I for many years.

Even though Neurontin is not an "official" treatment for Bipolar Disorder, I've seen a HUGE change for the better in my condition with it.
Go to Top of Page

flyinghound
Super Member (250+ posts)

305 Posts
Gratitude: 6

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  09:43:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Howdy-

I'm at 300 mg of Gabapentin-not for mood swings, but anxiety due to Bipolar Disorder. Has anyone else been using Neurontin/gabapentin for anxiety and if so what is the optimum dose to work up to??

I like it so far, it's not as harsh as the BusPar I'm discontinuing. It made me feel so unreal at 30 mg/day...

FH
Go to Top of Page

Smgirl825
Starting Member

23 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  06:23:12  Show Profile  Visit Smgirl825's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Took it when it was first available to the general public. It didn't do anything for me good or otherwise. I was transitioning from topamax.

Go to Top of Page

tommydean

70 Posts
Gratitude: 18

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  15:52:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I'm currently taking 1800 mg. Gabapentin (Neurontin). I think it helps with my anxiety. Or maybe I should say: when I try to go off it my anxiety increases. Perhaps the drug has created a need for itself. Perhaps it's just my imagination. But the effect is marked.

Tommy Dean

"Maddest of all are those who see the world as it is and not as it should be."
--Miguel Cervantes
Go to Top of Page

katrinb
Starting Member

18 Posts
Gratitude: 2

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  06:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
quote:
Originally posted by aquamarine

The reason he is trying it with me is that he says the side effect profile is less than the older anti-convulsants and we are hoping I can get the mood stabilization effects without the cognitive and dissociative/depersonalization effects I am having on a high dose of Epival.

Gabapentin usually has very low side effects and seems to have positive effects in different disorders. This leads to the situation that by some estimates, “off-label” prescriptions account for about 90% of all Gabapentin sales. Gabapentin (http://www.originaldrugs.com/medicine/neurontin.shtml) can induce mania in some people with bipolar disorder and controlled studies failed to show the effectiveness of this drug as a mood stabilizer.

However, everyone is diffetent, and it is possible that some people may have success with gabapentin for bipolar.
Go to Top of Page

stigmastomper (inactive)
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

24317 Posts
Gratitude: 1940
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  05:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
hi aqua and co. i took one pill with lamictal,risperdone and cogentin i did not like it. but it may have been something else or the dose too high or its all in my head lol.
Go to Top of Page

Maile Mclean
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2020 :  02:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
You can join this page where you can get some answers and get information kind of many things. When you upload a post about question people give their https://topamericanwriters.com/college-paper-org-review/ in the bottom bar of your page and guide you.
Go to Top of Page

followerscanada
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2020 :  23:21:06  Show Profile  Visit followerscanada's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Living with depression or bipolar disorder? ... Online Parent Community ... The Balanced Mind Parent Network (BMPN) is an online support community where ...
by <a href=" http://epicfollowers.co.uk/"> Eicfollowers uk</a>
Go to Top of Page

followersaustralia
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2020 :  23:44:40  Show Profile  Visit followersaustralia's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
MLA Style Guide: Formatting Your Paper ... So let's say that your professor wants you to format in MLA style, and you have no idea how to do it. ... Another reason to learn a format is that it is getting you ready for upper division classes in your ... Margins on the sides, top, and bottom of the page are 1 inch. by https://buyfollowersaustralia.com.au/

buyinstagram Buyinstagramfollowersaustralia followersaustralia
Go to Top of Page

followersaustralia
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2020 :  23:47:28  Show Profile  Visit followersaustralia's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Checking your papers and posts for plagiarism is important if you run a ... you five cents per page for the plagiarism check for each page that is checked with the tool. ... Pros: You can get an accurate picture of any of your content that is ... or college students who want to turn a paper in to their instructor and .http://buyfollowersitaly.com/

Go to Top of Page

followersaustralia
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2020 :  23:56:50  Show Profile  Visit followersaustralia's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
1990's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie score gets first-ever, major butt-kicking release. Fortunately for you, this multi-colored vinyl comes https://buyfollowerscanada.com/

Go to Top of Page

followersaustralia
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2020 :  00:02:19  Show Profile  Visit followersaustralia's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Oct 16, 2018 - Original 1990's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles score to get vinyl release on Friday. Poster for the movie 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,' 1990.
https://epicfollowers.ca/

Go to Top of Page

followerscanada
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2020 :  05:55:01  Show Profile  Visit followerscanada's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Major depressive disorder is characterized by overall depressed mood. Elevated moods are characterized by mania or hypomania. The cycling ... by https://followersuk.uk/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 27737
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0