Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

fiona™©
Full Member (100+ posts)

105 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  11:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Does anyone have any advice to give me on the withdrawal effects I might experience coming off cymbalta? I am a bit worried as my pdoc has told me to come off it over 4 days, ie miss tonight's dose, take it tomorrow and take it the next night for the last time. I have read online that if you have been on it for a week or more that it should be tapered over at least two weeks. Needless to say I am worried about this and we be grateful to hear of any of your experiences.

Take care all and be well
Fiona
Go to Top of Page

fiona™©
Full Member (100+ posts)

105 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  11:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Oops meant to say, miss tonight, take tomorrow, miss the next night and the following night take it for the last time. I should ahve used preview
Go to Top of Page

p28312
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  17:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I stopped a few days ago (after a quick taper). I feel sick..dizzy, hearing things, and feel like throwing up. I hope this ends soon.
Its a lot different than starting up.
Go to Top of Page

emery
Starting Member

1 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  14:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I've been on Cymbalta for 3 months, only 20 mgs. I stopped for 3 days now. The withdrawal is horrible! I'm dizzy, extremely tired, feel disoriented, have anxiety, and unable to stay alert. If this gets any worse I may go to the hospital tonight. I really hope this ends soon. Good Luck.
Go to Top of Page

LCae
Starting Member

1 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  19:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
My doctor prescribed Cymbalta to me. I only took 30 mgs for 4 months. I had alot of side effects (nausea, unable to concentrate, weight gain, altho I was told I'd likely lose weight) and asked to taper off gradually. We lowered the dose over the span of two weeks. I took my last pill 10 days past. Today is the first day I'm feeling a little more normal. I get the occasional brain buzzy sensation and spells of vertigo, but many times better than I was on my first day off the pills.

I hope everyone gets some relief soon. It's no fun going through withdrawal.

Go to Top of Page

LeslieR
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  13:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I won't go into the details as to how I ended up on six different prescription drugs (but I do call my doctor the drug dealer) but after 10 months of not feeling any better, and wondering why I am on all these meds in the first place, and going from a size two to a size I don't know what (huge weight gain without any change in my diet whatsoever)... I decided to put myself on withdrawal especially from CYMBALTA... so to answer your question about withdrawal I will tell you what I am doing... it has been six days, the first couple I was a weeping mess (my poor husband) - and also suffered through horrible insomnia and night sweats (a bit of mania too got up in the night to clean all the closets, but at least they are organized now) - I am starting to feel better (but still get the brain zap...) I have been drinking about eight bottles of spring water a day (Fiji brand to be exact), taking a Benadryl here and there for the zaps, AND last night I slept the entire night for the first time in a year!!! My children have been on vacation with my parents, so I have pretty much been keeping to myself in the house and not adding any additional stress (plus I am still dizzy when I drive)... I am starting to feel better though!! To help with the withdrawal I just spent the morning at a spa doing a body wrap and detox treatment ($150.00, expensive, yes, but still less expensive than the medication even with insurance)... and I feel totally relaxed, money well spent... I have also heard that Spirulina Juice (or any other kind of green juice) is helpful for medication detox (cleans out the liver etc) so I am going to buy some today). I do have some low dose Klonipin (the only prescription I still have) to help if I get overly anxious, but today I have not needed it)... Sorry this posting is all over the place, but my brain is still a little all over the place - but all in all I am starting to feel better and can't wait to have this over with. One more thing, went to see a couple of funny movies, and laughing helps a lot. Rent every funny movie you can, and laugh as much as you can. We will all get through this I promise!
Go to Top of Page

silverspyder
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  15:02:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi,I'm a new member and I've been taking cymbalta 30 mg everyday for about 10 months now and about 3 weeks ago i finally decided to stop it, so i started skipping a day in between for about 2 weeks and now i'm skipping every two days and i plan on going like that until i slowly completely stop, eventually. But with skipping the two days in between doses, i think i'm starting to feel withdrawal effects , although i'm not sure if they are withdrawal effects or just my sickness acting up again. To give you all a quick backgroud: i was actually prescribed cymbalta for painful headaches and vascular pains in my head as well as panic attacks. I've been sick for about 2 1/2 years now and the doctors can't figure out what's wrong with me, the panic attacks and the headaches are just symptoms of my problem. I used to do alot of martial arts and weightlifting and one day into my routine i felt light headed and weak and nausea come on, so i stopped for that day and figured i might have the flu or something but ever since then i have been sick and can't do any type of physical activity with out getting extremely weak and sick, i'm always tired, i've had extreme nausea come and go, i've had irritalbe bowl syndrome come and go. A year into my sickness i was prescribed cymbalta for the extreme headaches and panic attacks that i started to get, it helped with the panic attacks but not so much with the headaches. But then my headaches diminished on their own. Now my main symptoms are extreme fatigue from physical or mental activites, i can't work anymore, so i'm at home now all the time. But i decided to give up cymbalta since my body has learned to control the panic attaks, but now i'm not sure if i'm feeling withdrawal effects or just my sickness acting up again. I have headaches coming on everyday with pressure on my eyelids on the time and head and brain feeling really stiff along with my face. Let me know please if anyone has felt any stiffness or headaches. Thanks

RA
Go to Top of Page

Trizzy
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  20:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi - I just joined this discussion forum today.

What is the duration of the withdrawal symptoms of Cymbalta? I'm being weaned off of it by my primary care physician, it's only been two weeks. Any ideas of how much longer I can expect to feel like this? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

serena
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  20:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
HOW TO AVOID CYMBALTA WITHDRAWAL:Cymbalta worked fairly well for my depression but I have gained 30 lbs since I started taking it 11 months ago. It has terrible withdrawal symptoms -- and I have gone through withdrawals of some serious narcotics. Times where I missed a dose or two or couldnt get my prescription filled, I felt horrible physically. SInce the weight gain though, I have decided to taper off. This is what I have been doing :
I am on the 60 mg capsules. For a week and a half, I emptied out 1/4 of the capsule every day. For the past week I have emptied out 1/2 of the capsule. So far no withdrawals symptoms.
Go to Top of Page

fiona™©
Full Member (100+ posts)

105 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  11:07:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
It's a very bad idea to open a capsule and take the contents like that. Many medicines are enclosed in capsules because on their own they could be damaging to the stomach or other parts of the digestive tract. Capsules are made of such material as to facilitate their break-down at the optimum part of the digestive process for the medication to enter the system and to act in the most effective way-sometimes including time release- while at the same time protecting the innards from potential damage.
Go to Top of Page

medako
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  11:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi, I am new to the forum and just started Cymbalta after being on Effexor. I'm at 60 mg/day and feel kinda "there". I'm not happy, not sad, not much of anything (but I am focusing better) can anyone tell me if this is normal? Am I going to continue just feeling blank?

Thanks in Advance,
Melissa
Go to Top of Page

p1casso
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  15:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi All,

I just wanted to chime in...I was on cymbalta for about 9 months - got up to 60mg then gained 30 pounds and had terrible anxiety - started to switch to Lamictal and got very sick so they told me to stop both medications stating that Cymbalta has no withdrawal affects.

Well, I was soooo sick. It's been 15 days so far and I'm still at only 75%. Dizzy/Vertigo, cold sweats, flu-like symptoms, mouth twitches, heart palpitations, joint pains, crying spells, insomnia, brain freezes, nausea, diahrea (sp?), it's been awful. I'm better today but I still can't tolerate any caffeine (which is rotten since I love coffee)or any alcohol. Tried to have a glass of wine on a date and just couldn't stomach it.

I still feel flu like, not as dizzy but have bad pains in my joints and am really irritable and crying all the time. Show me a hallmark commercial and I'm a crying baby! I'm drinking about 3 liters of water a day - which I hope helps...also need to get rid of this excess weight.

My Dr was shocked by my withdrawal. I encourage all of you to post here and share experiences with your doctors. These withdrawal problems are shocking and should be documented by the manufacturer and disclosed by our doctors. I'm going to print this and share it with my doctor so he can see how many people are suffering.

Hope you're all doing well. Hang in there ;)

Go to Top of Page

atu
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  11:35:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Not so nice to write with my bad English again, when forgetting password...

I was in drug trial by eli Lilly, maybe Cymbalta. I got a burping problem and it is still there after several months of trial. Maybe is caused some irritation to stomach. Does anyone have similar problems?
Go to Top of Page

Amie (inactive)
Super Member (250+ posts)

746 Posts
Gratitude: 5

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  12:25:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
This is all great information. I love the fact that we can share it like this. Emery how are you doing?

Amie
Go to Top of Page

crys_mic03
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  16:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
HELP!!!!
I stopped Cymbalta 60mgs cold turkey 4 days ago. Today I feel horrible. I can't get rid of the head ache, dizziness, and being sick ot my stomach. I know stopping cold trukey was stupid but it was mainly b/c 1. i want off the meds, 2. I could no longer pay for it.

How long will the withdrawal symptoms last???? If Ive made it 4 days i hope I can get myself off this medication okay.
Go to Top of Page

Marymay
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  10:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi, I am so comfused over all of this. In reading a lot of your issues I do not understand how we are going to get off this terrible medicine. I am pretty depressed over all of this. This pill has been the worrios one I have ever taken. I started at 30mg and then went to 60mg, then 90mg. I also took axans, klonapen, plus soma, and pain med. All of this in three years. I have taper off of all medication except for the cymbalta! My medical doctor is help me to get off of it. I went from 90mg to 60mg and now I am on 30mg. I will be on 30mg for two weeks and then for one week every other day for 7 days. My last day should be Jan 7, 2006.
I pray to god to help me because it is so hard to feel health. I have been sick all week, dizzy, out of body feels, headaches, shakes and so on. I do not understand how a pill can do all of this. Not even xanaxns did this to me. I am glad that there is a place that we can write all of this to help us.

quote:
Originally posted by p1casso

Hi All,

I just wanted to chime in...I was on cymbalta for about 9 months - got up to 60mg then gained 30 pounds and had terrible anxiety - started to switch to Lamictal and got very sick so they told me to stop both medications stating that Cymbalta has no withdrawal affects.

Well, I was soooo sick. It's been 15 days so far and I'm still at only 75%. Dizzy/Vertigo, cold sweats, flu-like symptoms, mouth twitches, heart palpitations, joint pains, crying spells, insomnia, brain freezes, nausea, diahrea (sp?), it's been awful. I'm better today but I still can't tolerate any caffeine (which is rotten since I love coffee)or any alcohol. Tried to have a glass of wine on a date and just couldn't stomach it.

I still feel flu like, not as dizzy but have bad pains in my joints and am really irritable and crying all the time. Show me a hallmark commercial and I'm a crying baby! I'm drinking about 3 liters of water a day - which I hope helps...also need to get rid of this excess weight.

My Dr was shocked by my withdrawal. I encourage all of you to post here and share experiences with your doctors. These withdrawal problems are shocking and should be documented by the manufacturer and disclosed by our doctors. I'm going to print this and share it with my doctor so he can see how many people are suffering.

Hope you're all doing well. Hang in there ;)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 27738
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0