New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Piglet

59 Posts
Gratitude: 3

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  07:32:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi

I am glad to see this website is up and running again, I was just getting use to it being around when it was gone:9
Anyhoo, I am going through the guinea pig phase of medicine again and wante to see what others are doing.
I have been on many anti-depressants ( I am bi-polar) and just learned about a month an dhalf ago that I need mood stablizers. So my Doc started me on Abilify. GREAT stuff but my inside started to feel like I needed to be busy , otherwise I felt awesom. So he put me on Risperdal. Now I cant wake up! So I decided to put myself back on the abilify because I think dealing with hyperness is better then dealing with sleepiness. Frankly I dont feel that the antidepressants work at all and only leave me less suicidal and fat!
ANyone else confused about meds here? What are you doing about it?

Hugs
piglet
Go to Top of Page

jrsjr3

57 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  12:18:31  Show Profile  Visit jrsjr3's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
My wife actuallly started on risperdal a few years ago. she had teh same issues with sleeping. So teh doc swapped her off and eventually shes was put on abilify. shes doing better, (not hanging off the cliff by her nails) but she says she feels numb.

but at least shes not (overly) sleepy.

-John

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
Go to Top of Page

oddesseyy
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  13:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
My doc actually told me that antidepressants can throw bipolar patients into mania bad, and so he took me off the ones the gynocologist put me on (he just thought i had bad PMS) and my doc has me on Lamictal really clean drug sleep well without headaches, weight neutral and I take Topamax both for mood stabilizing...then for anxiety Klonopin and xanax when needed.

Good Luck
Go to Top of Page

Piglet

59 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  21:32:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Thank you for the info, I am going to research some of those drugs. I hate going through this as I am sure all of you are too :(
I havent had the manic episodes for quite some time, I am definetly in the depressed mode, but anti-depressants have only helped for short periods, now I understand why!

Go to Top of Page

Piglet

59 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  05:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
me again, I thought Lamictal looked familiar. My Doc said he would not prescrige that for me because in some cases people have died from a severe rash. I have researched that and it is true, but if it was such a major complication why is the drug still out there? It sounds like a wonderful drug for the depressed state of Bi-polar! So obviously you havent had that problem, just wonder how much of a concern that really should be?

[It is a rare, but of course serious, complication Piglet. It usually can be prevented if lamotrigine (over a few days) is phased out when a rash appears. The majority of rashes on this medication are not associated with this rare and potentially lethal complication. Phil Long M.D., Administrator]
Go to Top of Page

MaNiAc
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  19:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
hi im a new member so im not sure if im doing this right, i was reading about the medications as i am in the guinea pig stage again too now , i was diagnosed sept 28 2004 and since then ive been on almost every med around i live in canda so im nto sure if the US uses different medications , i have reactions and side effects to almost all of them, anyone else have this problem , i just started risperdal as monotherapy and it caused lactation and i only take 1 mg !!! i have previously taken epival(depakote equivalent)seroquel, trileptal, lithium , topamax and now risperdal , thanks for listening any tips or suggestions would be great
Go to Top of Page

Piglet

59 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  23:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Well one that worked well for me that I want to see if a lesser dose will get rid of the side effect of feeling slightly ansy,k was abilify. I am not sure if Canada has that but its worth asking your Doc about maybe

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans!
http://website.lineone.net/~jbonno/greenpigs/pictures/piglet.jpg
Go to Top of Page

soft

86 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  05:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Arial] size everyone..
I've been on almost every anti-depressant there is out there, plus lithium and the only ones I've been able to tolerate lately are topamax and welbutrin. I have restless leg syndrome and some other wiring problem with my legs that the neurologist really can't define completely, which are made worse by all these drugs. I thought lithium would kill me I was in so much pain.
On the upside I have to take my meds because I need then to keep the pain away. Turns out I need the reuptake of dopamine from the Welbutrin and something from the Topamax. So I'm at least med compliant now.

Go to Top of Page

autumn2night
Full Member (100+ posts)

175 Posts
Gratitude: 4

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  10:14:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Keep reading the literature that comes with the medications you receive at the pharmacy. Watch your diet also. I like Lamictal. It has been a very clean drug. Topamax has a lot of side effects that a lot of members of the BP boards have written about. You do have to give the medications time to adjust to your body. Sometimes it will take weeks.

Duffy
Go to Top of Page

Jana
Full Member (100+ posts)

177 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  20:08:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I loved Lamictal.. it was such a good drug for me. The rash is rare.. and my doctor told me that if you ease your dosage up slowly then you lessen the chance of getting it. Lamictal was a great med for me.. and i miss it. I hope you find one that works.

Jana

Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you. He will never let the righteous fall" Psalms 55:22
Go to Top of Page

zuma181
Starting Member

11 Posts
Gratitude: 2

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  13:03:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I was dx'd in 1989 with BP> I take risperdal, cymbalta, ativan, and adderall, but I went off the risperdal last night. Oh, it was working fine for my head--but for the rest of my body --not so well. and I may ditch the cymbalta, too. first, i'm gaining 10 pounds a month and I'm not having it. second, my balance is messed up. I don't feel dizzy but i've taken to falling down. I look battered. I heard abilify was very good and I'm going to call my pdoc tomorrow and tell him to fork it over. I've gotten terrible swelling in my ankles and legs and muscle stiffness, and I thought it was the risperdal, but i haven't had any for over 24 hours and my ankles are still swollen. anybody know much about cymbalta...other than it's new? Side effects?
Go to Top of Page

mooneybeem
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  16:56:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I am new to this forum and could use some feedback. I was diagnosed "bp 1" a couple of years ago (by 2 separate Dr's) after years of being treated for clinical depression only and ending up in the hospital. I tried MANY anti depressants and mood stabilizers for over 2 years, wean off one and then onto another. And also therapy sessions. I don't recommend this to anyone... but I weaned off all my meds horrible experience and now only take multi vitamins minerals fish oils and st.johns wart for the last 2 months. I know this sounds risky at best. But I think I feel fairly human. My husband is monitoring me carefully for changes. My Dr. was very nasty and unprofessional when I suggested I was going to do this. I do get racing thoughts and speech and have poor short term memory, but my depression is bearable. I just reached a point of saying " do these meds really help? Is it worth the side effects?"Has any one heard of BP's being treated holistically with success? Signed, Cautiously Optimistic
Go to Top of Page

Piglet

59 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  18:46:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I think many of us here can relate to what you are going through> I seem to have been on many of the SSRI's out there adn always end up changing because they "stop working". Now I am playing with those and moos stabilizers for the first time in 10 years. One thing I tried a year ago to see if I could go natural was SAME. It seemed to do ok but I only did it for about 2 -3 months, it is sooo exspensive because you have to take so many tablets throughout the day. I am super frustrated lately and feel like giving up on all of it but I know that isnt healthy. If I feel good mentally, I feel bad physically and vica versa:(

I know this isnt helping probably, just wanted to add the SAME and let you know I feel for you , I am right there

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans!
Go to Top of Page

nan (inactive)
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  15:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hey

My doctor just put me on effexor. It is working very well. I am also taking Eskalith which is a slow release form of Lithium. Also, taking klonopin for anxiety. Seroquel is working very good for me also. I hate taking meds but, I guess we have too.

Nan
Go to Top of Page

soft

86 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  16:21:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Yes we all hate taking the meds but the alternative is by far worse.
I know I had much rather take a few pills each day than have the demons of darkness come back or the clowns of mania take over. Nothing is worse than that.
Go to Top of Page

mooneybeem
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  18:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
quote:
Originally posted by nan

Hey

My doctor just put me on effexor. It is working very well. I am also taking Eskalith which is a slow release form of Lithium. Also, taking klonopin for anxiety. Seroquel is working very good for me also. I hate taking meds but, I guess we have too.

Nan

Yes, I too take Seroquel for sleep. Just cannot wind down on my own. Hope to eventually wean off of it. I have been on it for 4 years.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 27737
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0