Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

harvess
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  02:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
hi im currently on paroxetine and i find i do better on this tablet than any other fluxetine (prozac)is the worst ive tried after 12 days i went into hospital with suicidal thoughts etc.citlopram(celexa) i got on ok with but i never fully felt well on and venlaflaxine doubled my anxiety so much i couldnt go out and couldnt do anything after 5 days!the pills im on now are the best for me 20mg of paroxetine and i take buspirone for anxiety.its took me 2yrs to get where i have now where i can go out without fear and eat properally and sleep ok(ish)and finally feel like im glad to be me and comfy with myself(although that varies but im working on it)sarah
Go to Top of Page

EVERGREEN
Full Member (100+ posts)

136 Posts
Gratitude: 5

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  09:14:14  Show Profile  Visit EVERGREEN's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I've found lexapro to be very helpful for me as well. Prior to going on lexapro I was on Prozac, Welbrutin, and Exfexor simulanteously, with very little improvement. I noticed a big difference when I went on Lexapro. Just one little pill.

EVERGREEN
Go to Top of Page

Lana
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  11:47:09  Show Profile  Visit Lana's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I've taken a few different meds depression but the one I'm using now is the best...except for a few complaints. I'm taking Cymbalta. Has anyone heard of it? I think it's fairly new.

I have depression with anxiety and Cymbalta really calms my anxiety. The depression still lingers and I'm having to manage most of it by myself.

One thing I don't like is that I have very little 'feeling' or emotion. I'm pretty blunt most of the time unless I get sad, then I get emotional. Feeling happiness and exuberance or passion is just not there anymore. I don't like it but like the loss of anxiety that precipitates just about any emotion I do have.

Prozac was the worst I took. After taking it for 6 months, I started planning on how to get rid of my husband...and not in a nice way! Anyway, he eventually left.

Paxil was good but after taking 3 years and increasing the levels, I maxed out so my doctor changed me to Cymbalta.

Lana Claycamp
Go to Top of Page

MAC
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  07:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
i have was first prescribed fluoxotin (prozac) and that did nothing (except make me gain 15 lbs and that added to my depression) i then went on welbutrin which didn't have any effect so my MD added lexapro to that as well and that worked for a little while but i stopped taking the medication and my doctor decided that i should try a different type of meds, so i am now on effexor the maximum dose (275 mg a day) but it seems to be working really good but i still ahve periods when i am down but i am working on it

MAC
Go to Top of Page

Heatherzed
Full Member (100+ posts)

241 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  05:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
The question "what was your best or worst medication?" seems a strange one, as it's such a personal thing, dependant on so many things, but mainly to do with the person's own body...and all bodies are unique!

But anyway, here goes...

Celexa has worked wonders for me.
Prozac was rubbish and did nothing, like the person before me said!

I hope everyone finds their best med sooner rather than later...!
Go to Top of Page

fiona™©
Full Member (100+ posts)

105 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  15:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
My worst med is also my best. Yes, I am being realistic here. If I take it as prescribed it helps me, if I so much as omit to take one dose of the stuff, it reminds me by giving me brain zaps, like electric shocks. My memory is not good because of so much ECT. I hate those brain zaps, they hurt so much, but they remind me that mediction is due. Good or bad thing?? hmm thats open to debate. Oh, the med is Venlafaxine/Effexor 300mgs per day

Anyone else on that??

Fiona
Go to Top of Page

Heatherzed
Full Member (100+ posts)

241 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  10:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Just read the section on Effexor on the meds part of the the board...seems it's a pretty commonly prescribed med despite it giving everyone brain zaps, and this tells me it must be doing some good for a lot of people..?

By the way, I really like your picture at the moment Fiona. Is it one that you took yourself? It looks like it could be somewhere nice in the UK.

I live near the Peaks and love going for walks out there and seeing the awesome scenery, although it's getting a bit chilly for that sort of thing lately, just want to be wrapped up warm in bed!

Go to Top of Page

MAC
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  09:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
my doctor uped my effexor dosage to 300 mg after i went to the hospital for overdose! i feel like a pill junky!

MAC
Go to Top of Page

Amie (inactive)
Super Member (250+ posts)

746 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  20:17:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi all,

I am on 375 mg of effexor. There seems to be varied info about what is really the maximum dose. Fiona I never get the zaps or anything else even if i completely miss a dose.I think that getting off it will be easier for me as a result. I am also on Zyprexa, desipramine, welbutrin, rivotril (and ativan and imovane as needed). And I don't really feel better. actually I feel less anxious but not less sad. Getting a job would help I think. In the meantime Lithium might be in the cards...

Amie
Go to Top of Page

emmsters (inactive)

94 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  06:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I have been taking effexor 300mg for almost a year now and i can't tell any difference in me im suicidal, my moods are up and down, Im a self mutilatar, if have anxiety and alot of anger and when you put those together thats a bad combanation, Im unhappy. On the other hand I do like the effect that ativan has on me i seems to do the trick. clams me down. And i have been on serequel for a couple of months now and it ok i use it for sleep, but im not completely satisfied with it. It just seems like i have to keep upin th dose on my own to get the results i want for sleep.

Other then that i have treid paxil, clexa, and those meds do no good for me. I had bad reactions to them.

Emily
Go to Top of Page

fiona™©
Full Member (100+ posts)

105 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  08:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Heather,

Yes you are correct. This is a UK pic. Its in a country park near where I live in Lanarkshire, Scotland. Can't claim the pic as my own, [inched it from someone

Fiona
Go to Top of Page

Newcent
Starting Member

7 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  05:14:53  Show Profile  Visit Newcent's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Trazodone and Topamax were my worst medications. They gave me even worse anxiety than I already have, plus they gave me tha worst Migrainez ever and Topamax is made for migraines (?). Tha best med I was and still am on iz 8 mgs of Klonopin every morning for Severe Anxiety (NOS). All Benzodiazapines have helped with my anxiety disorderz like: Xanax,Ativan,and Valium.
The weird thing is that I have severe anxiety and heart palpitations but, the A.D.D/A.D.H.D medication "Ritalin" helps me get out of the house and gets me motivated to do errends and chours around tha house. People with severe anxiety disorderz should NEVER take Ritalin,Adderall, or any other Amphetamine, but they help me get out and motivated; but also adds to my anxiety. Strange huh?
Go to Top of Page

sasha
Super Member (250+ posts)

821 Posts
Gratitude: 63

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  18:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I have been on Effexor for about 9 years. About 2 years ago I was told that the effectiveness of Anti-depressants can reduce as you age. My medication was increased to 300mg. I found a bit of relief but this did not last long. Now I my Effexor has been suplimented by Wellbutrin 150mgs. This is a strange drug for me. At first I found the effect wonderful. I felt like the sun was shining all day long. Now it has levelled off and I find that I don't really care about anything. I don't care if I don't go to work. I don't care if I go to counselling. I don't care if I smoke too much. I don't
I don't care if I spend all night on the computer. I don't care if I go for a walk etc. I had these "I don't cares before. Now they seem intensified.

This concerns me alot. I am four years from retirement (hopefully) and I don't want to get fired.

Everyday is a struggle for me and I get alot of stress at work.

bonita palmer
Go to Top of Page

mistress-bondage
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  09:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello All

Although an apparent newcomer to this kind of thing (only diagnosed one year ago) I have been suffering with chronic depression for ten years.

I was firstly put on Sertraline which made me suicidal, quickly followed by Citalopram which made me sick. I then tried Fluoxetine for a spell at one tablet per day, then switched to Paroxetine which resulted in a spell in A & E as a failed suicide.

Spent the last nine months gradually upping the dose of Prozac to the full (60mg) - which increased the side effects of fatigue and lack of sex drive until id had enough!

Recently switched to Mirtazapine and within a week my heart was racing even at sitting and I couldnt breathe properly. So i stopped straight away and am in a pharmacutical limbo. Best? Worst? Ive still not had the "switch" flicked to turn me from a all black wearing rock misery into a stepford wife. Ill let you know if i do!!!!
Go to Top of Page

fiona™©
Full Member (100+ posts)

105 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  15:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Mistress Bondage,

Please don't allow yourself to think that some magic medication will flip a switch for you. Recovering from depression is a gradual process and as you have been suffering from depression for so long then it is likely to perhaps take a bit longer with you than someone who has become a suffere recently. Finding the correct medication to help you on the road to recovery can be a time of very great trial and error. My depression was diagnosed 10 years ago and we are still searching for the correct medication. The purpose of medication, I believe, is to get us to the stage when we can actively take control and begin to work on ourselves to help to relieve the depressive state. We can work on this through therpay, which can be hard work. Through talking to fellow sufferers to share coping strategies, reading some of the many books available to give us guidance on how to escape this prison and many more that are not coming to mind at this late hour. I know that I am not a very good example of recovery, but I have learned that I can't depend on the medication alone. I must also help to flick the switch and propel myself on the road to hapiness. I will keep trying. I hope you do too. Work with the medication, use it as a crutch, but don't expect it to do the whole job for you will be very disappointed with the results. Very often the side effects of medications disappear within the first week or two. Maybe if you could steel yourself to cope with the side effects until the med has had a good chance to get into your system and your system has got used to the med being there you would be able to find the stepping stone you need to get to the next stage of recovery.

I wish you all the best.

take care

Fiona
Go to Top of Page

mistress-bondage
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  12:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Fiona

Thanks for your email. I have slowly over the course of the last year realised that medication is not the cure, only what a painkiller would do for chronic arthritis for example - it can help with symptoms but wont cure it.

I am finally getting to the stage in the UK mental health system where I am being put on waiting lists for access to CAT and psychoanalysis which I firmly believe will help me work through the demons which make me depressed and thus I will not need antidepressants forever.

By way of an update I am coping well on Moclobomide but still feeling pretty low. The side effects have been almost non existant so far ( I am only on a minimum dose as of yet) and this is the stage where I need to be putting things in place in my life which will make it more fulfilling and satisfying, rather than getting the feeling I am just passing the time of the day, second by second, without reason or goal.

I will keep you updated but in the meantime thanks for your advice.

mb
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 27737
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0