Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Jordan
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  02:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
We have what is called Respite Care where if we are quite unwell, changing meds etc we can go there for a few days, this is not a hospital situation but houses set up for this purpose, and the Crisis Team arranges a bed. There is a staff member on duty 24 hours and you can have a nurse be with you if you are suicidal. Do they have any facilities like this available for you? I had a nurse at home with me for two days when I was very suicidal and extremely depressed. This is funded by our Mental Health system.

The hospital is always full.

Go to Top of Page

broken_spirit
Super Member (250+ posts)

548 Posts
Gratitude: 109

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  08:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Just wanted to check in.... Im having a hell of a day...This is really bad today, I honestly dont know if I can make it through this.......The Effexor yes he took me off that cold turkey, the welbutrin he cut in half and said to take for 4 days then quit......Im not going to be able to do this..... im tired and scared
Go to Top of Page

gloryadt

521 Posts
Gratitude: 7

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  15:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Here's a site you might want to print off and ask your doc to read...it doesn't sound like he/she is familiar with the severe discontinuation syndrome from Effexor. Also you can google and find lots of information or look under Depression Meds on this forum Venlafaxine (Effexor) I understand if you don't feel like doing this, but it helped me to know more about it. Maybe he would put you back on it, then taper off?

http://www.washingtonian.com/health/hardtoswallow5.html

My best wishes are with you. It does eventually get better.

glory
Go to Top of Page

gloryadt

521 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  15:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Sorry, after I sent the last message, I couldn't get the site to open, but here's an example of what I found:

http://www.answers.com/topic/venlafaxine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EffexorDiscontinuation syndrome

"Venlafaxine is notorious for its potentially severe withdrawal symptoms upon sudden discontinuation (the recommended discontinuation is a drop of 37.5 mg per week; sudden stops are usually advised only in emergencies). Wyeth-Ayerst euphemistically refers to these severe withdrawal symptoms in its product literature as a "severe discontinuation syndrome". These have a tendency to be significantly stronger than the withdrawal effects of other antidepressants including the tricyclic antidepressants, but are similar in nature to those of SSRIs such as Paroxetine (Paxil® or Seroxat®).

These effects may include irritablility, hostility, headache, nausea, fatigue, dysphoria and the fairly-unique "brain shivers". Rarer withdrawal symptoms include shaking legs, tremor, vertigo, dizziness and parasthesia. Other non-specific mental symptoms may include; impaired concentration, bizarre dreams, agitation and suicidal thoughts.

The "brain shivers" have been described as electric-like shocks in the brain causing pounding headaches and disorientation, increasing over time before abating. Although "brain shivers" are not painful per se, they are disturbing, and could become severe enough to be disabling.

Antidepressant withdrawal effects do not indicate addiction, but are rather the results of the brain attempting to reach neurochemical stability after an abrupt change. These can be minimalized or avoided by tapering off of the medication over a period of weeks.

Studies by Wyeth-Ayerst and others have reported occasional cases of withdrawal symptoms severe enough to require permanent use. In some of these cases, successful discontinuation was eventually achieved by the addition of fluoxetine, which was later discontinued itself without difficulty."

glory
Go to Top of Page

rdeemss
Full Member (100+ posts)

177 Posts
Gratitude: 9

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  04:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Broken
i hope you are ok please let me know how you are
Go to Top of Page

ashleeblonde1
Full Member (100+ posts)

184 Posts
Gratitude: 3

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  10:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Glory,
That info was very helpful. So many doc will change meds without warnings of withdrawal.
Broken and Rd,
I hope your day is going better. Keep us posted, people here care a lot.
Go to Top of Page

broken_spirit

548 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  11:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Thanks for the info... I have all of those symptoms... Im not in a good place, didnt sleep all last nite and have been crying non stop all day and having suicidal thoughts... I told my husband I think I need to go to the hospital and his reply was "well whos supposed to watch the kids"... so I dont know... im just scared and tired and scared..............
Go to Top of Page

gloryadt

521 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  13:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Surely there is someone who can watch the kids! Family, friend neighbor???You need help getting through this! I know I couldn't have taken care of kids during my 'episodes'! And I am concerned about you. Please try to get some help.

glory
Go to Top of Page

Amie (inactive)

746 Posts
Gratitude: 5

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  18:44:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Broken,

What you are experiencing is an emergency, so your husband can take care of the kids, even if it means taking time off work. I mean, what would he do if you dropped off the face of the earth? He'd have to cope somehow and he has to now. We are with you!

Amie
Go to Top of Page

rdeemss
Full Member (100+ posts)

177 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  19:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
broken
please go to the hospital i know is easy for me to say i have no children but if you have to i will take care of them but im hoping you have some familie there with you and tell your husbund to get with the programm for better or worse and if he cant be there find a new one take your kids with you im sure the hospital will help they will here so im thinking they will thereplease please get help
Go to Top of Page

gloryadt

521 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  02:32:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
brokenspirit, I pray that you are getting some rest...let us know how you are feeling, ok?

glory
Go to Top of Page

broken_spirit

548 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  10:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Well its weds morning, kids are gone to school and here I sit, trembling, crying, with dagger like pains in my head, tremors and yes even thoughts I shouldnt.. I was too scared to sleep last night in case I didnt wake up yet on the other hand I was hoping I wouldnt.. Make sense?..Im a total mess, so confused, alone and tired..I cant be a good mother and as for being a wife well thats out of the question so why am I still here???...I dont know......maybe I should just go to the hospital and say to hell with everyone theyll find a way to figure out things when im gone...Im just sooooo tired of fighting this, I truly am......just tired!
Go to Top of Page

rdeemss
Full Member (100+ posts)

177 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  14:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
broken
please you scare me go to the hospital take the kids with you and tell that man of yours thats whats going to happen deal with it you have to get help for your children and for you so please keep me posted i look forward to your posts its the omly thing right now that keeps me afloat please go do it
Go to Top of Page

broken_spirit

548 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  19:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Well Im still here so dont worry, I havent done anything... But im going to the dr first thing tomorrow am if I can just get through tonite.. I know I cant sleep, but im so tired, I cant sit here for very long, cant watch tv, my insides and my head are going 100 miles an hour... ANyway I just wanted everyone to know that Im going to the dr and if Im not on for a cpl days its because im in the hospital and I will write as soon as I get home....Plz look after my friend RD - Ill be thinking of you!....*hugsss*
Go to Top of Page

rdeemss
Full Member (100+ posts)

177 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  04:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
thank you broken for going to the doctor i will try to hang in there i hope to see you soon and i hope that you feel better soon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 27761
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0