Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Murrin
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  08:10:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi everyone im a 43year old woman living in the uk . Ihave suffered with bipolar for 8 years now id love to talk to anyone who has the same condition and what treatments the,ve had , ive been sectioned under the mental health act a few times ive had ect therapy so nothing you can tell we will be a shock , we could help each other i want to live to bring up my children and if i can help anyone else im here for you dont suffer talk to me from Murrin bye xx

Murrin
Go to Top of Page

bama35
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  09:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Murrin, you seem sincere, this is the first time I have found this website. Best Wishes, You had no replies so I thought Id read yours first. I have never been diagnosed and am just looking around. However I am sure I am partially loopy, couldn't be normal after all I have lived thru.
Go to Top of Page

sunfuncyp
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  01:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello Murrin,

I am 44 years old and am married for about 8 months now. We had many ups and downs and about 1,5 weeks ago my husband stopped sleeping, felt watched and was on the run and changed his behaviour extremely. No way to talk to him and denial that something is wrong and so on. I went to see a psychologist and she indicated that it looks like a bipolar disorder. I then saw a psychiatrist who told me he needs to see my husband and treat him. He gave me drops to give him to calm him down to be able to talk with him again.

The problem is that he was not even taking anything from me and I have a hard time to give him the medication. Whenever I try talking with him, he denies and would not go anywhere to get help.

Unfortunately I did not get much support here on this island and am completely helpless what to do and how to react.

Do you have any advise for me how I can help him and me?

I sure hope someone here can help me to find a way how to handle this situation and how to get out of it and learn living with it.

Thanks so much and all the best for you!
Go to Top of Page

joannec

54 Posts
Gratitude: 2

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  15:42:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
murrin; i am glad that you posted. i am joanne and 42 years old and just found out in december that i am bi polar after being treated for mood swings a few years back. i was on nuerotin and wellbutrin back then and had to get off them do to the fact i could not afford them anymore. i was off meds for a few years and am not on litthium,seraquel, going to therapy and self help groups. it is really helping me to see that i am not crazy i am just a sick person trying to get better. i have the disease of mental illness and i am proud today to say that. thanks again and looking forward to getting to know you.
Go to Top of Page

mu201rt
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  13:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Murrin,

I came to this site too and was surprised to find some one with similar situation. My mother is 54 and she also suffers from bi-polar disorder she has been sectioned twice and has had several rounds of ect. She has taken lithium put never takes it unless in hospital (where forced to), she doesn't aknowledge her illness at all. So I can imagine how life has been for you and your children, but you must never be hard on yourself it just adds to the stress and if you are taking medication and seeking medical advice often you are doing everything you can. I know it must be lonely especially since in the uk particualrly mental health is a taboo subject among many people and often people don't understand even your own relatives sometimes. But if you need to talk I am here

Ros
Go to Top of Page

laineyb
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  11:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
quote:
Originally posted by Murrin

Hi everyone im a 43year old woman living in the uk . Ihave suffered with bipolar for 8 years now id love to talk to anyone who has the same condition and what treatments the,ve had , ive been sectioned under the mental health act a few times ive had ect therapy so nothing you can tell we will be a shock , we could help each other i want to live to bring up my children and if i can help anyone else im here for you dont suffer talk to me from Murrin bye xx

Murrin

Go to Top of Page

laineyb
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  11:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Murrin,

I a 49 and have had a diagnonsis ao bi polar since about your age. I previously ahve had two lots of depression end ing in ECT one at 18 on at thirty.

In between times I have ahd a twenty seven year marriage, two children now adults a very supportive brother and a few friends with whom I share things. Personality comes into our illness agreat deal and I am guilty of comming off litium and doing very impusive things ( currently I am returning to lithium because I was so well fro 4 years that I took myself off it. Not a good Idea and this relapse ahs been embarrassing for my family.
I want you to know that there is a great deal of hope and a great deal to look forward to.
This is the first e mail I have sent on this forum and I hope it helps

Elaine

Go to Top of Page

ashleeblonde1
Full Member (100+ posts)

184 Posts
Gratitude: 3

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  12:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi,
Lainey,
I am 45 and have been married for the last 27 yrs and also have two children. My youngest is(will be next week) 20. I have just been diagnosed with BP. I have had depression for about 23 yrs.
Go to Top of Page

automatic
Super Member (250+ posts)

342 Posts
Gratitude: 8

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  11:45:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
HI MURRIN
KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE, LEARNING AS MUCH AS YOU CAN HELPS WITH THE REST. I SUFFERED FROM DEPRESSION FOR AT LEAST 13 YEARS, RAISING 2 BOYS WHO TURNED OUT PRETTY GOOD DISPITE MY DEPRESSION, ECT TREATMENTS, ADMISSIONS IN MENTAL INSTITUTIONS, MEDICATIONS AND SO ON... SO DON'T WORRY I AM SURE YOU'LL DO JUST FINE RAISING YOUR FAMILY. IF I COULD DO IT ANYONE CAN. LEARN ALL YOU CAN ABOUT YOUR BIPOLAR AND LOVE YOUR CHILDREN YOU'LL BE O.K

Go to Top of Page

kitkat
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  15:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
sunfuncp,
what island?

Born with a purpose
Go to Top of Page

hitter8888
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  00:36:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
hi im 17 years old and i think i might be bipolar and was wondering if i could ask some questions about it
Go to Top of Page

kathw
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  17:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I was diagnosed with depression afew years ago, but come to realize recently that depression was only a portion of the battle for me. I thought my hypomanic phases were "normal" for anyone - racing thoughts, little need for sleep, etc. Then I started going to a peer-facilitated support group where anyone with any mental illness could come and find support from other peoople's experiences, without getting given advice (which I for one am tired of getting). I started seeing myself in other people, and eventually came to grips with the fact that I have Bipolar 2 (a little less extreme version than Bipolar 1). Took a long while to convince my treatment team of that, but now I am on depakote (1500mg) and lexapro (20mg), which help a lot. The peer support I receive is helping me to learn how to recognize when I start to go from depression to manic, or am normal for a few weeks in between. I realized today that I was very depressed, so decided to come on here, as well as call friends, stay away from sharp objects that I could harm myself with, etc. I also am going to church tonight - being around people and my relationship with Christ are two huge coping skills that I use. I also go soak in the hot tub, occasionally write in my journal, etc. We have to use our coping skills. Hopefully what I shared about my personal experience helps someone else on here.
kathw
Go to Top of Page

ladydreamr

78 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  23:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Just wondering how the depakote and lexapro help if I may ask...
just diagnosed with bipolar2 and getting more meds next week thx, Pam

quote:
Originally posted by kathw

I was diagnosed with depression afew years ago, but come to realize recently that depression was only a portion of the battle for me. I thought my hypomanic phases were "normal" for anyone - racing thoughts, little need for sleep, etc. Then I started going to a peer-facilitated support group where anyone with any mental illness could come and find support from other peoople's experiences, without getting given advice (which I for one am tired of getting). I started seeing myself in other people, and eventually came to grips with the fact that I have Bipolar 2 (a little less extreme version than Bipolar 1). Took a long while to convince my treatment team of that, but now I am on depakote (1500mg) and lexapro (20mg), which help a lot. The peer support I receive is helping me to learn how to recognize when I start to go from depression to manic, or am normal for a few weeks in between. I realized today that I was very depressed, so decided to come on here, as well as call friends, stay away from sharp objects that I could harm myself with, etc. I also am going to church tonight - being around people and my relationship with Christ are two huge coping skills that I use. I also go soak in the hot tub, occasionally write in my journal, etc. We have to use our coping skills. Hopefully what I shared about my personal experience helps someone else on here.
kathw

Go to Top of Page

ladydreamr

78 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  00:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello Murrin,

Pam here... diagnosed with BP2 about 3+ weeks ago... depakote was deadly for me... crossed that one off, have been on effexor 300mg from earlier diagnosis of depression in 2000, lost to say not sure what sharing would help... been through abusive marriage, 3 rapes, 3 close family members death, now years later it is all surfacing at once... searching for good med for my racing thoughts and anxiety and my growing depression, am very open to help others any way i may be able....

take care,
Pam
Go to Top of Page

marcel page
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  19:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
hi , i'm new to this site but have been dealing with my bi polar for 9 years now. when i first became manic i was 19 and i thought it was just me changing, for the better i thought. well months later i hit my downward spiral and eventually ended up in the hospital. it all started to make sense. the real high feeling , mr confidence and all that fun stuff. buying all kinds of **** , racking up credit cards, losing friends, what a trip.well 9 years later im depressed again, though i have relapsed in the past , this time it hard. when i get depressed i usually want to hide, from my friends , from everything. i hate this feeling !!! about 6 months ago me and my g/f of 4 yrs broke up and i decided to quit taking my meds... well now after months of being manic , again. i'm back in the hole again. i started taking my meds again about 2 weeks ago.. i still feel like ****, and the hiding is getting worse. back to same old grind... take this tell me how u feel , blood test .... i hate it .i wish i could just wake up and feel better... i need some help .. hopefull y this might help.
Go to Top of Page

grammy
Super Member (250+ posts)

374 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  15:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
H guys:
A spammer creamed the first two pages. So, I am just moving your discussion back to the first page where you can continue all the good things you are trying to do here.

Every post in these communities matter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 27737
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0