Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

harryrayce
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  18:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
An infinite loop of reasoning can be used to create and sustain any mental disease anyone may care to invent. Corporate psychiatry and the family based groups who support the paradigm, requiring treatment, control, and "research", are supported by the pharmaceutical companies providing the treatment. It is currently the fastest growing industry in North America. Money is now being supplied by governments, directly to Big Pharma so they can do more research into fixing genetic defectives like myself. It is becoming an unstoppable machine being fought mostly by those that have been defined as crazy, by the mental health machine itself. The Mandala. The Circle of Insanity we all see most clearly in psychosis.
Go to Top of Page

jrsjr3

57 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  06:08:45  Show Profile  Visit jrsjr3's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
the real point of the issue is not who's funding it or why, but the fact they are doing it. Treatment of metal heath has gone faaaaaaaaar beyond the stone age days of "one flew over the cukoos nest", but still is in the bronze age of treatment. we know so little about how the brain functions, and even less about why is mis-functions. the chemical treatments now are more shots in the dark than double-bulls

While i agree the world is probably over medicated, (lets be honest we take pills for every darned thing now) the research into metal heath is long over due and still extremely low on their prioroty lists. which in turn makes it drastically underfunded. eventough big pharma is leading the charge, it is a charge worth making.

Good can only come of more research. it gives those who are batlling this disease hope.

-John

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
Go to Top of Page

autumn2night
Full Member (100+ posts)

175 Posts
Gratitude: 4

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  11:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
When they do find what looks to be promising drug, because of a high percentage of suicides,the drug is taken off the market. I've always found this to be so ironic. The malpractice lawyers play a large part in why it takes years to introduce a new psych. drug into our society. In the U.S. the newer psych. meds are very expensive to purchase - unless you are of the federal prison population. The prisoners here are able to get all of their meds. free of charge with no waiting time. How ironic is that?

Another concern of mine - if it fits under "causation" is bio technology. The next few generations will be able to determine if their fetuses are abnormal or not. Within a few decades the medical community may begin producing children with no mental illnesses that are based on genetics. They already are doing this with a host of diseases now.

If given a choice to continue the gestation of a fetus to full term knowing that it will have the Bipolar disorder - would you opt out?

There were long, long nights when that question came to my mind while holding my then 17 year old daughter who "just wanted to die" as the anxiety played havoc with her body.
Go to Top of Page

aquamarine
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1238 Posts
Gratitude: 300
Very caring

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  19:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
And you know this because...?
Go to Top of Page

autumn2night
Full Member (100+ posts)

175 Posts
Gratitude: 4

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  20:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Aqua,

I just rated it VERY HARMFUL!!!Oh - I heard that some group is trying to say that gambling is a mental illness also! Boo HOO!!

Duffy
Go to Top of Page

aquamarine

1238 Posts
Very caring

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  20:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Well in a way this rating system is kind of silly because what is to stop people from giving themselves fabulous ratings?
...Aqua
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts
Gratitude: 593
Very caringVery wiseI agree

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  23:48:30  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
quote:
Originally posted by aquamarine

Well in a way this rating system is kind of silly because what is to stop people from giving themselves fabulous ratings?
...Aqua

Hi Aqua,

We designed the rating system so that a member can't rate his/her own posting (or see how others have rated his/her posting). I hope that's working.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator
Go to Top of Page

Pepper
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  06:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
kalamitymermaid Posted - 05/29/2005 : 15:03:18
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A genetic bases for Schizophrenia well never be found, because one does not exists.

In response to this statement...just out of curiousity, have you ever seen the research that has been done with schizophrenia with regards to it's genetic basis?
There exists definitely a genetic component to schizophrenia. Pivotal trials in twin studies, and other related individuals (whether it be brother, mother, uncle, etc) with schizophrenia have been conducted that have proven a heavily weighted genetic component to schizophrenia. There is no doubt that schizophrenia is genetic. This is not to say that if your mother is schizophrenic, you will be too.
I just found the statement to be quite bold and broad.

If we run searchs on the internet, we can find an abundance of research indicating the genetic link, studies and research of schizophrenia.

Go to Top of Page

Helen
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  11:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Personally I think harryrayce's post was well intended. IMHO If anyone does not want to hear it thats fine. But you do not need to be berating others because they do not subscriber to your personal understanding of things. all these bad talking others is taking a toll on our Forum.
Go to Top of Page

aquamarine

1238 Posts
Very caring

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  16:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Thanks Dr. Long,
Tha's good to hear.

The other thing I was wondering...Will it only allow you one rating per post...because I come back onto the site let's say the next day and I cannot remember what I rated/didn't rate and I don't want to duplicate ratings either.
Thanks,
...Aqua
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  18:52:49  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
quote:
Originally posted by aquamarine

(Re: our rating posts)...Will it only allow you one rating per post...because I come back onto the site let's say the next day and I cannot remember what I rated/didn't rate and I don't want to duplicate ratings either.
Thanks,
...Aqua

Good question Aqua,

We have programmed the rating system so that you can only rate a posting once. So it's "one member, one vote" in our community. We are trying to ensure that everything we do is democratic.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator
Go to Top of Page

RedRocket

92 Posts
Gratitude: 5

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  19:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
quote:
Corporate psychiatry and the family based groups who support the paradigm, requiring treatment, control, and "research", are supported by the pharmaceutical companies providing the treatment.

I don't give a rodent's posterior for the reasoning behind the research and medications. All I care about is that it's helping me.

On another note, it is true that DSM manual has become a little white washed and pharmaceutical companies do have a pill for every condition imaginable (except having bad sex with ugly people you just meet at a bar). To me this minimizes the serious mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder etc. (sorry if I missed one) so that the general public does not take them seriously as they are lumped together with, as a previous poster said, gambling.

That is not to say gambling is not a huge problem to some people, I just don't think it's a disease in and of itself. Sure it may be an addiction, but there are underlying causes for that addiction. Anyhoo, I really don't know what I am talking about, so I'm going to stop now - this is just my opinion, I have no formal training besides being a know-it-all for 34 years.
Go to Top of Page

aquamarine

1238 Posts
Very caring

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  20:20:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
kalamitymermaid,

You are being extraordinarily dismissive of the struggles many of us go through in your previous post about the DSM. As this is a support site for those of us struggling with a mental illness I am angered by your lack of understanding.

You dismiss our illness and struggles when you make statements like: "Feeling very sad has become ‘depressive disorder.’ Worrying too much is ‘anxiety disorder.’

...Major Depressive Disorder is hardly comparable to simply "feeling very sad". This illness has destroyed my life. For 4 years straight I have not been able to sleep more than a few hours most nights. I am in a constant state of anxiety and irritability, cannot focus or concentrate on any one task and I have memory and attention problems. I also cycle (not quite high enough for Bipolar...but enough that it impacts me) so I will be up one day, go to bed and wake up wishing I would die. I obsess about suicide much of the time. Many days I am so fatigued I feel like I can barely move.

What was I like before I became sick? I was a highly motivated, high achieving individual. I have worked since I was 14 (I'm 39 now), I put myself through university and worked the whole time I went, I graduated with two degrees. After school I worked my way up the corporate ladder and became very successful in my career.

...then this Depressive Episode hit. I went from being an extraordinary organized and efficient employee to not knowing what I was doing, not being able to understand what I was producing, I became afraid to speak in public (my job), I started thinking everyone was out to get me, I started visualizing myself killing in the employees handicap washroom everytime I walked past it. To save my life I had to leave work. Since then I have been so sick with my depression that I cannot do even the simplest of jobs.

I suggest this was a bit more than "feeling very sad". I felt very sad when my cat died...but unlike my depression, that sadness did not negatively impact all my relationships, my job and my ability to be a fully functioning member of society.

Your reactionary crap only perpetuates the external and internal stigma many of us face and feel about being mentally ill.
...Aqua
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  23:47:58  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Aqua, You're Amazing,

You can clearly explain the truth about depression better than any psychiatrist I know.

My hope is that Kalamitymermaid will take the time to know you better.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator
Go to Top of Page

jrsjr3

57 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  08:50:30  Show Profile  Visit jrsjr3's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
First let me say i feel very sorry for you if you are this lacking in the compassion department. You probably giggle when you see roadkill and think, serves them right not knowing to look both ways.
Originally posted by abysslooksback

Dr. Long:

Aquamarine needs to stop coming to this website and needs to stop investigating mental illness on the internet. It is part of an endless loop she is stuck in.
ok, how is this a viscious loop? she feels sick, goes to the doctor and receives treatment. the doctor diagnoses her and she wants to know more about the disease she has. is it an endless loop if i research diabetes after being dianosed and begin receiving treatment, or is it educating myself about what I am about to go through for the rest of my life.

If you can do this w/o help then good for you. But dont belittle people who have a worse condition than you. Again to put another perspective, dont make fun of the guy in the wheelchair b/c you only need a glass-knobbed walking stick. Its not helping ANYONE!

You are not helping her by petting her like a little doggie. She is programming you to give her the kinds of responses she desires. You are an enabler.

and you are not helping her either by tellling her shes wrong and she has no problems. not everyone is a hypochondriac. have you ever had to stay awake all night to make sure your wife slept and didnt get up to OD and kill herself during a depressive swing? Have you ever had to explain to your children that mommy can't go to their open house b/c she's having a head day? or calm them down b/c shes not really serious when she says she wants to die? or try to explain that is not their fault?

Until you have dont you EVER tell prople how they should feel, or how they should treat others.

And really, how condescending of you.

Hello kettle, it's the pot

Here's a piece of advice for you. Starting now, don't ever again do anything to promote artificial feelings of self worth in yourself. Every pat on the back you give yourself comes at the cost of some poor persons mental health.

and heres one for you. follow your own advise. dont brush aside the problems and suffering of others to improve YOUR 'artificial feelings of self worth'. Beacuse each time you do, it 'comes at the cost of some poor persons mental health.' you [Opps ... language John, Phil Long M.D.]

For crying out loud already.

exactly

-John

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

[John, you are a credit to our community, but please watch the language (which, however, was very to-the-point). Phil Long M.D., Administrator]
Go to Top of Page

aquamarine

1238 Posts
Very caring

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  10:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
John and Dr Long,
Thank you for being so supportive. The earlier note from Abyss was hard for me to read especially today as my mood has been crashing for the past few days. When I feel good I can fight this kind of abuse. Anyways, I just want you to know how much your standing up for meant to me.
..Aqua
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 27737
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0