Mood Disorder Community

Welcome Message
Registration Tutorial
Nickname:
Password:
Save Password

All Forums
 Bipolar Disorder: General Discussion Topics
 How Can We Improve This Support Community?
 How Can We Improve Our Web Community?
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts
Gratitude: 593
Very caringVery wiseI agree

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  23:13:08  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Why A New Bipolar Web Community?

MyTherapy (Internet Mental Health) is building this new web community. Originally, this Bipolar Web Community was hosted by MSN. We moved to this new website to be able to use new technology not available at MSN. For example, our new community message board is far superior to our old message board at MSN. Now we can create whatever our members want in a web community.

What Should We Add Next?

We have added a chat room. Now we need to know what you think we should add next to our community.

We greatly appreciate your suggestions.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator
Go to Top of Page

autumn2night
Full Member (100+ posts)

175 Posts
Gratitude: 4

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  10:21:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Perhaps updates on medications. If there are any current recalls or side effects that you feel we should be aware of. I know you are not in the position of giving medical advice. One example - Topamax. I would like to read research that I can rely on as current and valid. Direct me to which web links you feel are reliable and which you feel are questionable. Or educate me a little on how to "read between the lines".

Thank you for this opportunity to reply.

Autumn2night
Go to Top of Page

yoyo
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  10:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I like this feature - a way to give input. Thanks. Makes a big difference. Is there anyway to IM people - I really miss that feature. Chat would be nice....
Go to Top of Page

yoyo
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  14:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
okay - I'm really putting myself out there - transparancy I believe would be the phrase.It' hard not to feel like a lab rat at this end of the computer. I would respectfully like to ask if our posts are used for research purposes. It may or may not make a big difference to me in the end - I do see this as a place for gaining knowledge with the ultimate purpose of healing. But I would like to know. Are we being used for research purposes.

And the adminitor(s) deserve a pat on the back. You are "getting it" in asking us our opinions. Love the articles on treatment. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

yoyo
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  15:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I really like the variety of new topics, as I may have already said.
However I would really miss not having the topics "coping with depression
and "coping with mania" - they are a quick way to let others know how you are feeling and seek support. Could these be added?
Go to Top of Page

yoyo
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  15:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Another suggestion -have the most popular topics - including social, general right near the top.
Go to Top of Page

KarenBP
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  16:23:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
ongoing involvement from the moderators. I remember newbies coming aboard, and asking a question of Dr. Long. We had to reply that Dr. Long doesn't reply to messages.

I realize that time is certainly a factor, but having an ongoing presence would certainly go a long way to ensure that this board doesn't look like you're simply collecting data for a book, or something.
Go to Top of Page

BlueAngel

89 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2005 :  10:24:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
quote:
Originally posted by yoyo

okay - I'm really putting myself out there - transparancy I believe would be the phrase.It' hard not to feel like a lab rat at this end of the computer. I would respectfully like to ask if our posts are used for research purposes. It may or may not make a big difference to me in the end - I do see this as a place for gaining knowledge with the ultimate purpose of healing. But I would like to know. Are we being used for research purposes.

And the adminitor(s) deserve a pat on the back. You are "getting it" in asking us our opinions. Love the articles on treatment. Thanks

Yoyo, I hope your distress over this "lab rat" idea didn't come from jokes I made when I learned about the uproar on the old board that happened because Dr. Long made some sudden and unexplained changes. It was me who said "He's probably just messing with your minds to see what will happen." I didn't really mean it, but it could have suggested the idea that's causing you some stress. I'm sorry that my jokes don't sound like jokes when you read them. I forget to insert the necessary (j/k) or "ha ha".

That said, Dr. Administrator, I am very curious about these post "ratings" and what they're going to be used for. It's very difficult to objectively rate people's posts because they are such personal expressions of our experiences.

I also like Yoyo's suggestions for topics on coping with depression and mania. And I see you have one for bipolar children; how about one for bipolar parents trying to raise "normal" families -- parenting is a real challenge for most of us.

BlueAngel
Go to Top of Page

Jana
Full Member (100+ posts)

177 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 05/16/2005 :  15:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I have to agree with the medication updates. Also.. what about something involving ways to get help if you have no insurance and cant afford your meds? I also LOVE the chatroom idea. I would love to chat with my new friends.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Jana
Full Member (100+ posts)

177 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  13:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Wonderful!

"Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you. He will never let the righteous fall" Psalms 55:22
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts
Gratitude: 593
Very caringVery wiseI agree

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  16:52:13  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
quote:
Originally posted by yoyo

Thanks for the kind words Yoyo.

Nothing posted on this website is used for research. However, we will ask our members to rate all postings as to how helpful/harmful the postings are to our community. In this way, members will (later) be able to screen out viewing "harmful" postings, and only view "helpful" postings. Using this "rating" approach, our community will become "self-policing" (and will also acknowledge our most helpful members).

This month, we will add our new chat room. Next month we will start showing some "streaming videos" of our members telling their own stories of recovery. Our hope that these video interviews will clarify any doubts you might have about our intentions.

Our goal is to help this community by sharing reliable information on Bipolar Disorder. Two-thirds of all people with Bipolar Disorder never get medical treatment for this disorder. Two-thirds of all people treated for Bipolar Disorder prematurely stop their medical treatment after one year. This is a tragedy and somehow has to be corrected.

Yoyo, thank you for joining this community. Together we can make a difference.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

aquamarine
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1238 Posts
Gratitude: 300
Very caring

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  15:34:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
1) I there anyway we can add a photo to our post? I posted and idea in "coping with suicidal thoughts", but the art exercise I described to help me is better seen than described.

2) I love the video idea. Is there anyway we could incorporate the ability to use webcams in the new chatroom (if a member chooses to do that of course).

Thanks...I am enjoying this site.

...Aqua

Go to Top of Page

autumn2night
Full Member (100+ posts)

175 Posts
Gratitude: 4

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  16:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Aqua,

I don't know about a video cam - there are other things that I would not want to see in a chat room on a video cam

Duffy
Go to Top of Page

Jana
Full Member (100+ posts)

177 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  22:34:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I have a webcam that ive never used.. lol. The thought of someone actually seeing me while i chat with them creeps me out! LOL

Jana

"Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you. He will never let the righteous fall" Psalms 55:22
Go to Top of Page

aquamarine
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1238 Posts
Gratitude: 300
Very caring

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  08:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Duffy and Jana,
With a webcam the person entering the chatroom can decide whether they want the others to see them or not by turning off or on that option...so even if webcam chat's were available you would always have the option to "just say NO"!!!

Jana...I use my webcam to chat with my family...it is awesome because I get to see all my neices live and up close. We laugh and smile at each other and blow kisses across the internet. It really has improved our communication. In fact my little sister just got one a couple weeks ago and the 2nd time she chatted with me she said, "this is so cool, I feel like I finally have the chance to get closer to my sisters". I almost cried because she is so distant much of the time.
Hugs,
Aqua
Go to Top of Page

ribbnznthredz
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  17:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi. I'm new. And I'm new to discussion boards. I'm never quite sure if it's okay to just jump right in and start talking or not...

I like the chat idea, I've done that before with family and friends with the webcam. It's not creepy, LOL, though I guess it could be if the person was creepy. LOLOL. Just think Jetsons! (Am I showing my age?)

I think someone mentioned a medicine listing...That would be nice with the meds listed, perhaps links to information online, also threads within this site of members experiences with their different experiences.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 27761
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 2