New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts
Gratitude: 593
Very caringVery wiseI agree

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  21:52:08  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Dear Members,

Who is a better friend, your pet dog/cat or your best (human) friend?

This questionnaire is for pet owners who also have Major Depressive Disorder or Dysthymic Disorder.

Here's the first question:

I can count on my dog/cat to be there for me.
Once you answer, you will be shown how our other members have answered.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  21:53:48  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
    I can count on my best (human) friend to be there for me.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  21:54:50  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
    I miss my dog/cat when I am away from him/her.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  21:55:36  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
    I miss my best (human) friend when I am away from him/her.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  22:00:09  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
    When I am feeling bad and need a boost, I turn to my dog/cat to help me feel better.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  22:01:03  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
    When I am feeling bad and need a boost, I turn to my best (human) friend to help me feel better.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  22:02:18  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
    I can depend on my dog/cat to care about me no matter what.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  22:02:48  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
    I can depend on my best (human) friend to care about me no matter what.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  22:12:18  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
    I would be upset if I had to be away from my dog/cat for a long time.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  22:13:19  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
    I would be upset if I had to be away from my best (human) friend for a long time.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  22:20:10  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Dear Members,

Thank you for completing this light-hearted questionnaire.

When this questionnaire was given in a research setting, it was found that pet owners were as attached to their pets as they were to their friends. Some people were even more attached to their pet than to their friends.

I would appreciate any comments you might have on this topic.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator
 Click Here For Other Questionnaires
Go to Top of Page

Zep
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

2298 Posts
Gratitude: 536
Very caringVery wiseVery honest

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  22:59:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
My dog never judges me - he loves me whether I'm up or down or in between, and he is the only living creature on this earth who regards me as the sun rising! This is great for mood, for motivation (exercise, feed, cuddle) and for self-esteem.

Dr Long, I am conducting an informal survey of international psychiatrists () to find out what sort of pet you all prefer? Are you a dog person? A cat person? Is your pet exotic? Large breed/small breed? You get the idea....

Cheers, Zep.

Chaos, panic, disorder....my work here is done :)
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

14912 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  00:14:43  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Thanks for doing the questionnaire Zep,

In answer to your question, I have a 16 year old border collie called daisy. My family always has had one or two dogs. For a number of years, we were also cat lovers.

I also have koi fish and goldfish. My friends know that I am a psychiatrist, because I am the only one in our city with a waterfall off the top of his garage.

But that is another story ....

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator
Go to Top of Page

Zep
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

2298 Posts
Gratitude: 536
Very caringVery wiseVery honest

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  01:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Obviously, you are a well-rounded person, Dr Long. Border Collies are beautiful dogs. Fish I know nothing about, and wouldn't want to analyse . But the connection between your occupation and the existence of a waterfall off your garage, when most people simply have roofs, leaves me bewildered! Is it an intentional waterfall, or something like we get in here in the Wet season? Have you had a visit from "Home Beautiful" yet?

Zep.

Chaos, panic, disorder....my work here is done :)

I'm dying to show you a picture Zep,

But first the rain must stop in Vancouver.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

erbiumfiber
Starting Member

26 Posts
Gratitude: 18

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  00:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
My dog died in 2002 after giving me 15 great years. Just a mutt from the pound. Then I moved to Japan and couldn't have pets.

When I finally found a place that would allow pets (and now I have bought my own place so I was able to put in a pet door) I got a cat because it is not a good environment for a dog. But the cat was constantly in danger of falling from my 7th floor balcony so I bought a first floor condo with a small garden that backs to woods. My cat comes and goes (most goes) as he pleases. I got my cat when my daughter left to go to boarding school. The "empty nest" void she left behind was pretty unbearable so I needed someone to be "living with" me. I definitely do not feel like I am alone when living with my cat. It's been hard without my daughter but my cat has kept me sane. He is basically evil but is (sometimes) sweet to me so I try to overlook it. He often brings wildlife (birds, moles, mice, lizards, bugs) into the apartment- alive- and releases it. Good times. Especially fun at 2 in the morning. But he is a cat who absolutely needs the time outside to burn off his abundant energy and for his intellectual stimulation. Yes, I know it's safer to keep a cat indoors, but I'll trade years of life for his happiness- he is a very happy cat! With a beautiful lean and muscular physique (he's a Russian blue, a popular breed in Japan).
Go to Top of Page

maryb
Starting Member

15 Posts
Gratitude: 9

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  19:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I answered unsure to many questions.

My Mom, who lives north of the 45th parallel, has a dog. She spends every winter in Arizona. Up until this past winter, the dog would stay with me. I love the dog dearly, and find it's hard (but doable) to be her sole caretaker while having two jobs (45h) and returning to college part time. I miss her, but am not upset that she's with my mother. The dog is now 12. I've finding that I'm getting more allergic to her every year. She's always given me a boost, which I can't say of the human I feel closest to. I can count on the dog to provide unconditional love but not other kinds of support that a human can.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 27737
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0