Mood Disorder Community

Welcome Message
Registration Tutorial
Nickname:
Password:
Save Password

All Forums
 Depression: General Topics
 How Can We Improve This Support Community?
 The My Way Out Program
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

juniperbelle

62 Posts
Gratitude: 39

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  16:15:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
My shrink wants me to join AA because I once in a while will go on a 2-3 day binge. Also, I usually have 1-2 drinks when my meds don't work enough to let me sleep. For me, not being able to sleep through the pain of life is Hell.

Anyway, Roberta Jewell has a well researched program called "My Way Out", which is an online therapy community vaguely similar to My Therapy. However, MWO urges members to take a daily drink of amino acids, kudzu, milksthistle, etc. for 6-12 weeks to detoxify the body and suppress any alcohol cravings. The program also recommend taking Topomate (which is sometimes used with seizures.)

Before I spend a lot of money on these supplements, I would like to know whether anyone on My Therapy has ever tried this program? I feel like I've taken a lifetime to achieve the decent level of mental health I have and am afraid of throwing it out of balance by adding these supplements.

Anyone know of this program? JB

Hi Juniperbelle,

That other website was misinforming the public. There is absolutely no evidence that alcoholism benefits from:
  • "a daily drink of amino acids, kudzu, milksthistle, etc. for 6-12 weeks to detoxify the body and suppress any alcohol cravings. The program also recommend taking Topamax (which is sometimes used with seizures.)"
Psychiatric research has shown that the most effective treatment for alcoholism is:
  • Alcoholics Anonymous meetings

• Addictions counseling by a mental health professional

• A new medication, naltrexone, which chemically blocks the "buzz" or intoxication caused by alcohol.
The advice that other website dispenses is just medically stupid.

There is better information about alcoholism at:
http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis/p20-sb01.html

Promising research involving naltrexone in the treatment of alcoholism is at:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17873686?ordinalpos=6&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

davidt
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

82944 Posts
Gratitude: 2519
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  15:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Hi juniperbelle,

I know nothing of these supplements, so I'm sorry I am unable to advise you on same.

But as recovering alcoholic, I do know a fair bit about booze. lol

What I have gleaned over the years is, that here in the UK., there is no other 'over the counter' product that you can purchase that depresses the central nervous system more .

I think you will find, that drink gets you off to sleep, but it very rarely keeps you comatose throughout the night. There is the diuretic aspect but also when it wares off, I used wake up surprisingly early, due to the sedative affect lifting.

And for me one drink was too many and a dozen not enough. I'm so much better of without it. My liver I should imagine thinks so too!

Cheers, David

If you work these communities ... there's a good chance these communities will work for you!
Go to Top of Page

davidt

82944 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  15:48:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Give me a cup of tea now .... any day!

Liver problems linked to Alcohol consumption ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/casenotes_20080219.shtml

A educational program if ever there was one!

Cheers, David

If you work these communities ... there's a good chance these communities will work for you!
Go to Top of Page

juniperbelle

62 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  08:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Thanks, Dr. Long and David. I knew if I mentioned this unusual program that someone would know something about it. All the supplements, drinks, tapes, etc were going to be expensive, and I was fearful of spending all that money and perhaps doing myself no good. I'll go back to the tried and true, although I really hate group meetings.

One other thing attractive about My Way Out was the promise of losing 30 pounds on Topamate. I guess there is no magic pill, is there.

THanks again. JB
Go to Top of Page

davidt

82944 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  14:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Hi Juniperbelle,

I found over the years, AA to be very helpful. I first attended a meeting of that twelve step fellowship way back in March 1988 whilst hospitalized. There was a meeting twice weekly within the unit. It proved to be a life line in more ways than one.

I still go to meetings on an ad hoc basis, when I feel the need for a top up. I personally can't fault the principles of Alcoholics Anonymous. And when you consider that just about evry twelve step fellowship that has come about since .... they have all adopted the very same steps. That speaks volumes to me.

Cheers, David

Go to Top of Page

juniperbelle

62 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  15:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I am not a joiner, and going to public meetings is the last thing I want to do. Does enrolling in an online 12-step program do as much good as a face-to-face meeting? I notice that many such groups exist on the web. Any success with these?
Go to Top of Page

davidt

82944 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  16:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

I've posted a link to google groups obviously you would have to take it from there. I can't en role for you. But you can get AA on line meetings . I've not used it, but I do get e-mails on AA group activity which I find helpful. It's worth a try. Nothing ventured nothing gained. lol

http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/tour3/index.html

Please note JB., I don't want you to think I'm pushing this on you. At the end of the day only you can decide. All I'd like to think I was doing was making a suggestion. If it's not for you I shall readily accept that!

One thing I hope you do do, is stick around here within My Therapy. I've been around close on three year now. And it's proved it's weight in gold .... as far as I'm concerned. But then again that's up to you too!

Cheers, ( without a drink ) David

Go to Top of Page

juniperbelle

62 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  13:30:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi, Davidt. No problem at all with your suggestions. That's why I'm here. I take everything said as though it is from a caring, concerned person. I've read enough of your posts to understand you a little and admire you even more. If you ever need to be adopted by a grandmother in the USA, speak up!

That said--day 3 AF! I printed out the 12 steps and joined an online group, but I must confess that My Therapy is far superior in the quality of postings. This is probably due to Dr. Long's expertise and intelligence. So, I will try both the AA type group and MT as well. I'm just relieved not to have to buy $300 worth of herbal supplements!

Again, thank all of you for sharing and caring. JB
Go to Top of Page

davidt

82944 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  23:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I'd loved to be adopted .... maybe we could adopt each other. Most folk I think would rather have a puppy than an 'old' dog ..... so I'm delighted!

Hi JB.,

Sorry I've not got back to you before now. I'm quite easily distracted but the good thing I'm blessed with a good memory recall.

I was once under a clinical psychologist, ( metaphorically speaking lol ), for addiction stuff. And he was very much in to pick and mix. When I asked would it be OK to do AA in tandem with seeing him.

I digress this is the e-mail I get on an almost daily basis ....

Date: 12/04/2008 09:07:09
To: 12-Step-Recovery digest subscribers
Subject: 14 new messages in 7 topics - digest

12 Step Recovery
http://groups.google.com/group/12-Step-Recovery?hl=en

12-Step-Recovery@googlegroups.com

Today's topics:

* AA HISTORY - 5 messages, 4 authors
http://groups.google.com/group/12-Step-Recovery/browse_thread/thread/315b12fdbd97ef72?hl=en
* Big Book Quotation 4/10/08 - 1 messages, 1 author
http://groups.google.com/group/12-Step-Recovery/browse_thread/thread/0f18adafab3c7f1f?hl=en
* 12 x 12 Quotation 4/10/08 - 1 messages, 1 author
http://groups.google.com/group/12-Step-Recovery/browse_thread/thread/bc007c24face1a0d?hl=en
* Big Book Quotation 4/11/08 - 2 messages, 2 authors
http://groups.google.com/group/12-Step-Recovery/browse_thread/thread/8b59cab0e105f46a?hl=en
* 12 x 12 Quotation 4/11/08 - 2 messages, 2 authors
http://groups.google.com/group/12-Step-Recovery/browse_thread/thread/801fea2dad7c8948?hl=en
* Big Book Quotation 4/12/08 - 1 messages, 1 author
http://groups.google.com/group/12-Step-Recovery/browse_thread/thread/7139b8f3d614ac07?hl=en
* 12 x 12 Quotation 4/12/08 - 2 messages, 2 authors
http://groups.google.com/group/12-Step-Recovery/browse_thread/thread/6a0839958b2a0014?hl=en

==============================================================================
TOPIC: AA HISTORY

http://groups.google.com/group/12-Step-Recovery/browse_thread/thread/315b12fdbd97ef72?hl=en

Go to Top of Page

juniperbelle

62 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  14:52:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Thanks very much, davidt, for sending the online AA information. I know it will be very helpful. Like you say, every little bit helps, and I know that multiple paths can lead to the same good ending.

One new thought for others: I got my husband to lock up the liquor some place in the garage. He literally locked it up and has the only key. Now when I awaken in the night and think I need a drink....I have no option but to tough it out. My problem is more of a habit--it's so easy to drink if it's available. I'm not about to run around in the middle of the night in my pj's to find something to drink now. My pdoc said to get it out of the house, but I didn't think that would be fair to my husband, who mainly wants a glass of wine with dinner. So, this works for both of us.

Another good thing is that I've lost 5 pounds! Hooray! Many blessings to count these days. I almost feel euphoric. JB
Go to Top of Page

davidt

82944 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  21:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Hi JB.,

Much obliged for your further sharing ....

What is an addiction but a habit gone awry. lol

We all, have within us a capacity to change. ( In my opinion. ) But it is much easier easier said than done. And although, I believe we can change much more than we think we can, it often falls short of what we wish for.

Going it alone, is the hardest of all choices. That is why, I pleased, more than that delighted, you've got these supportive communities to draw on, but also a twelve step fellowship for additional sustenance should you require same.

Hang on in there, you've got what it takes to make a difference. But remember "Rome wasn't built in a day" .... Any more than it took your habit to established itself.

Yours in community spirit, David

Go to Top of Page

juniperbelle

62 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  09:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Much thanks, David. I'm on my way! JB
Go to Top of Page

stigmastomper (inactive)

24317 Posts
Gratitude: 1940

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  11:49:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
hi junniper bell im sorry i havent said hello sooner its been tough lately. if ever you see me hear and need support i would be happpy to help
Go to Top of Page

davidt

82944 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  13:45:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

I am delighted to learn that juniperbelle,

Hopefully I've interpreted what you say in the affirmative!

Nice One, David

Go to Top of Page

juniperbelle

62 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  14:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Thanks, Stig and Davidt. You guys are the best. I hope I can help you and everyone else. I'm not a chatty person or a blogger, but I post when I think I have something new to add.
Go to Top of Page

davidt

82944 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  14:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

That's good to know juniperbelle,

Just being here is helpful to us ....

I trust, I speak for almost every one, who comes here for regular emotional sustenance!

Yours in Admiration , David

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 27737
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0